Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by msinc
I used an X-Caliber barrel for a 223 sporter contour on a bolt gun. It is a tack driver and I have a borescope to prove that the bore was flawless. The bore was finished like a Shilen Select or Pac-Nor Super Match. Not a mark in it no where. It machined very well and had no runout either.
I have maybe put 100 rounds thru this barrel and noticed that the throat is already starting to scorch. The 223 is not generally regarded as a throat burner, or the Army would have never selected it. I have never let it get very hot when I was shooting it. I have also not shot any "hot" loads thru this gun. Accuracy has not fallen off yet, but I am concerned that the throat shows erosion already, especially given the caliber, even though it is minimal.

The steel is crap, and most barrel makers have it. Bench rest shooters aren't getting but 500 rounds before taking them off.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ouch. I've run P-N, Shilen, Hart, Bartlein.

I feel best with brands with a long track record.

Good luck. Btw, when $$ are tight, if there is a Chambering that works for what I am trying to do, and In a config ie contour that is what's needed, I consider factory rifles ie S2, and T3. There are others. I have complete confidence and had good experience also in the new Rugers with in-house mfg barrels. A 1-A for instance in 243 - 3/8" for three at 100 using 85GKHP hand loads right out the box. It's bbl pulled to do a heavy 6BR. PAC-Nor did it - shot under 1/2" for 3 - @330yds....

Good luck.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Douglas in Charleston, WV has been good for many decades.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rock Creek, I know the head feller (russ) over there, he is an absolute accuracy NUT. I just bought a 6.5x47 barreled action from him on the recommendation of my buddy who works for him. this thing shoots better than it has ANY right too, for what i paid for it. 5 shot groups in the low .3s all barrels are hand lapped at the factory there.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Rock Creek, I know the head feller (russ) over there, he is an absolute accuracy NUT. I just bought a 6.5x47 barreled action from him on the recommendation of my buddy who works for him. this thing shoots better than it has ANY right too, for what i paid for it. 5 shot groups in the low .3s all barrels are hand lapped at the factory there.

When did he go to work for them? I know a lot of barrel makers and they are all accuracy nuts. I do have an excellent Rock Creek, but I bought it when they were on top of their game about 10 years ago. Don't know many folks using them in competition and winning now. Hope they have it sorted out.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
he's been there for a few years. Rock creek barrels are EXTREMELY popular in the PRS world right now. due to the turn around time, and accurate tubes they;re putting out. From what I understand Mike rock isn't involved anymore.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know Mike hasn't been around in a while. James Lederer was running the Rock Creek shop for many years. He left in 2012 and is setting his own barrel shop up and just started with the 3o cal. He is a wizard. I would like to know the winning shooters that use Rock Creek that have won PRS matches. Maybe you can provide the equipment list for us. It would be nice to view the winner's equip.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
he's been there for a few years. Rock creek barrels are EXTREMELY popular in the PRS world right now. due to the turn around time, and accurate tubes they;re putting out. From what I understand Mike rock isn't involved anymore.

I emailed some PRS folks that I know. This is what they say.

Bartlein #1 about 50%.
Hawk Hill #2 about 25 %.
Benchmark #3 about 7%.

Then a mix of the rest.

Bartlein is number one hands down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From the PRS blog last Nov.

[Linked Image]

Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by teal
From the PRS blog last Nov.

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
I guess my Buds were close.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep - hard to ignore that Bartlein number though.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I know Mike hasn't been around in a while. James Lederer was running the Rock Creek shop for many years. He left in 2012 and is setting his own barrel shop up and just started with the 3o cal. He is a wizard. I would like to know the winning shooters that use Rock Creek that have won PRS matches. Maybe you can provide the equipment list for us. It would be nice to view the winner's equip.

Not sure what your ax to grind is butch, but they are extensively used in the WPRC league, and a few of the members on that league, are also sponsored shooters that go to actual "prs" matches, such as the heat stroke and the gap grind. If ya don't like them, don't shoot them, but they are turning out really good barrels for a great price, quickly. No where did I say people were winning major PRS matches with them. They are perfectly capable of winning matches as barrels go, but the major shooters are sponsored by larger companies. In the smaller midwest "prs" style shoots they are very popular.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Not sure what your ax to grind is butch, but they are extensively used in the WPRC league, and a few of the members on that league, are also sponsored shooters that go to actual "prs" matches, such as the heat stroke and the gap grind. If ya don't like them, don't shoot them, but they are turning out really good barrels for a great price, quickly. No where did I say people were winning major PRS matches with them. They are perfectly capable of winning matches as barrels go, but the major shooters are sponsored by larger companies. In the smaller midwest "prs" style shoots they are very popular.

Mr acooper,
No Axe to grind. I'm just clarifying a few things. I still have a couple of the older Rock Creek barrels and the one I have chambered is great. I have not chambered the other. You may find that if you check with the competitors, they are not sponsored with barrels. Barrel companies normally give a barrel to a winner if he is using one of theirs and win a match. Now if you buy a large lot of barrels you will receive a discount. I know guys will get together and buy a quantity of barrels at a reduced price. I'm sure Russ would go for that.
A lot of times at club matches the guys use the barrels produced in their region of the country. Don't put into this what you think I am saying. I have nothing against RC or I wouldn't have a couple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the clarification. one of the gentlemen that works for RC and who is a good friend of mine who introduced me to russ to buy a barreled from him, is a great up and coming shooter, he's been in the PRS game for probably 18mos and has secured sponsorships from Rock creek (of course) Sierra, federal, manners. He;s is good friends with Jim See as well. The Prs Style of shooting is taking off like wild fire in the illinois iowa wisconsin area. there are shoots at least every two weekends drawing it seems like a minimum of 40 shooters. I believe in the next year there will be a highly organized "league" in those 3 states, and probable minnesota as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Butch,
What happened to Barrelman?
I want those discounts.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Clarkm, I sold that company to Jerry Stiller several years ago. I guess Jerry's girlfriend decided it wasn't what she wanted to do. It was sold to a third party and the guy is in a legal mess. You may not want to buy a barrel from him.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the clarification. one of the gentlemen that works for RC and who is a good friend of mine who introduced me to russ to buy a barreled from him, is a great up and coming shooter, he's been in the PRS game for probably 18mos and has secured sponsorships from Rock creek (of course) Sierra, federal, manners. He;s is good friends with Jim See as well. The Prs Style of shooting is taking off like wild fire in the illinois iowa wisconsin area. there are shoots at least every two weekends drawing it seems like a minimum of 40 shooters. I believe in the next year there will be a highly organized "league" in those 3 states, and probable minnesota as well.

Jim See is a good Man. PRS is an up and coming shooting sport.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What he said.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jim See is a good Man. PRS is an up and coming shooting sport.

by all accounts he's a helluva guy, i recently became friends on FB with him, I'm looking forward to taking on of his PRS classes. Ive watch footage of him from the heatstroke and he is something else.

I bought a Brux #3 stainless in 6.5mm for $300 + $110 for the fluting. Seemed reasonable; cheaper than the others I called. Didn't need the fluting, just liked the way it looked. So I could have gotten it for just the $300. Can't tell you how it shoots yet. It's at the smith, getting mated to a Defiance action.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 204guy, 69 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.