Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
cdb,

Tasco has never "put out" a scope. Instead they've had them made by various factories. Some have been good, but some haven't.

Got it. My understanding of your point was tacit and I could have worded it better. From what I gather Tasco used to market some decent scopes but today their stuff is mostly inferior. Is that correct?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As some may know, I generally do not follow the crowd. I look at my rifles as tools only, not something to stare at and admire their beauty, or chastise for the lack thereof. If they consistently work as designed, they get used. If not, they get fixed/sold.

Cost usually isn't the bottom line for me, as I've had S&B scopes that I hated, and Burris FF scopes that I liked. Makes no difference to me the brand on the tube, or rifle for that matter.

All that said, when deciding on a scope, I usually start at the mid priced stuff, and stay away from the $1500 stuff anymore because I see no benefit....been down that road and made a complete 360* circle, and back to mid priced stuff. I am doing that right now, deciding what to put on a couple of RAR's (30-06 and .243) that I bought for $179 each. I will probably try out the new Tract Toric/duplex reticle combo. Just going to guess that this combo will kill the crap out of whatever it's pointed at, numerous cull aoudad and mega hogs. If I'm wrong I'll let you know.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to those Walmart deals.

At $179.00 you'd almost be hard pressed to mount a scope that cost less than the rifle. My scopes are in the $350.00 to $650.00 range. I also feel the same about diminishing returns after a certain price point.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've just about decided to buy one of the LH RAR's in .243 since I've got a lot of .243 ammo and components already.

I'll more than likely put a Redfield Revolution 2x7 on it since I've had good luck with the two I own.

I can't really justify a more expensive scope for that rifle yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A cheap, ugly rifle can still function and be as accurate as an expensive rifle. A cheap scope, on the other hand, is just a POS waiting to fail at a critical moment.

You can skimp on rifles, but always spend as much as you can afford on glass.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
A cheap, ugly rifle can still function and be as accurate as an expensive rifle. A cheap scope, on the other hand, is just a POS waiting to fail at a critical moment.

You can skimp on rifles, but always spend as much as you can afford on glass.

I've always felt the same way but I've been disappointed lately because it seems more and more the more expensive scopes are using cheaper and cheaper parts and labor to maximize profit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My contribution to this would be to say that we had a really bad experience with a Tasco scope. It fogged on us during a hunt, and then when we went to take the elevation cap off, the whole guts of the adjustment mechanism came out with it. I've never owned one since. I don't have high end optics, just good scopes that I know work. Not a Leupold in the bunch. Older Weavers work just fine for me.

As for the lower end rifles, I've never had a Ruger, so no dog in this fight. No matter how many guns I've bought, sold and traded, I always come back to what got me there. A Savage 99, and Dad's old Mauser. They just feel right. When there's a comfort level, there's a confidence level too, and I would trust either of these rifles with my life. There's a buttload of deer that didn't exactly like finding themselves in front of either one of them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Give me a Model 70 with a Tasco World Class on top over a Ruger American with a Leupold Rifleman or VX2 on top....

and others opinions are?........

IF I had to choose.....

I'd rather take a $100.00 dollar saddle on a $50.00 horse.

I can break in any horse and get it to ride.

VX-2's are upper league and Trashco doesn't compare, and scopes go south more often than rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can afford it, it's hard to go wrong with Nightforce or US Optics.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a personal attack at you BarryC, but I also see no need to put tactical scopes on my hunting guns, but that's just me. Guess I'm a simpleton.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know about some good older Tascos, but to be honest haven't tried any in so long I don't know about the newer models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know a guy that is an editor for an outdoor magazine. They are sent rifles by sponsors for them to test. They received one very expensive rifle that would fire upon closing the bolt. I'll bet a RAR would not do that. Poor quality control happens no matter how expensive the scope, or the rifle.

As to the RAR, the magazine is the weak spot, for sure. I have three that all started to give me fits, with a full load. If you only put two in, they work fine. Ruger replaced them and the new ones have not failed yet, but have not been used much, either. It appears that they have put weak springs in them. Other than that, mine has been great for over 900 rounds.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been hunting, target shooting and handloading for my rifles since 1953. I got my first buck with my handload then.

There are 8 extra scopes in the cabinet including a Hensoldt and four Zeiss.

A Swarovski is on a pet. A Lyman was my first. A scope has never failed on me in use.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see the strategy in starting out with a good scope on a cheap rifle with the idea of upgrading the gun later. Some of the starter guns are cheaper than an Encore barrel, and pretty much all of them are cheaper than a re-barrel. VX-2s and FXs are kinda the bottom end of my optics choice these days and currently also the top. While apparently they do crap on occasion, they haven't crapped on me yet.

I would like to add a VX-6 to one of my rifles eventually.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're very lucky. I've had a Nikon go "sproing" and several Leupold scopes go bad, mostly by losing their ability to track well. I've noted that the 3x9 Leupolds seem to be particularly bad about tracking properly. Up 4 clicks moves POI 2" up and 1" right, things like that.

Although I will admit to having screwed down rings farmer tight most of my life. Since I got a torque wrench and limit tightening ring screws to no more than about 25-26 inch pounds a lot of scope problems have gone away. But even mounted properly and stress free I still see "variable" tracking on some Leupold 3-9 variable scopes.

My fixed 6X Weaver, on the other hand, is dead nuts accurate. 4 clicks on either axis moves POI 1 inch at 100 yards exactly along that axis, all the time.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would think that if you shoot at long range regularly and have a cheap rifle that will reliably group your shots into 1/2-3/4 MOA, why not put the best scope on it that you can afford--especially if it is chambered for a cartridge that generates significant amount of recoil with the loads that you use. I don't shoot a lot at long ranges and I can't warm up to cheap rifles. Most of my preferred scopes start with the mid-range Leupolds and their equivalents and go up from there. But, hey, it's not your money so why worry about it?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I generally like rifles that start at about $700 and I like scopes that start at about $400.That seems to me to be the sweet spot for quality and price. I buy more expensive rifles and scopes but after that price point you pay a lot more for small gains.

Yep! A while back I picked up a Sako Finnbear 270 in like new condition for $700. It looks to have less than a box of ammo fired through the rifle. I topped it with a Zeiss Conquest that was on sale for $299. I think I've got one hell of a lot of quality for just under $1000. 😎

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You're very lucky. I've had a Nikon go "sproing" and several Leupold scopes go bad, mostly by losing their ability to track well. I've noted that the 3x9 Leupolds seem to be particularly bad about tracking properly. Up 4 clicks moves POI 2" up and 1" right, things like that.

Although I will admit to having screwed down rings farmer tight most of my life. Since I got a torque wrench and limit tightening ring screws to no more than about 25-26 inch pounds a lot of scope problems have gone away. But even mounted properly and stress free I still see "variable" tracking on some Leupold 3-9 variable scopes.

My fixed 6X Weaver, on the other hand, is dead nuts accurate. 4 clicks on either axis moves POI 1 inch at 100 yards exactly along that axis, all the time.

I don't believe he shoots very much.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It probably brands me as a hopeless Luddite, but I'm a set-and-forget user. I don't expect hunting scopes to stand up to being run up and down the dial and don't need them to either. I'd get an SS for such work. The other well-known Leupold virtues are more important to me. I've had some others that were fine in most ways, but their eye-relief and eyebox shortcomings showed up in the woods.

I've seen some good things said about the current Weaver Ks, so if I were trying to save money, I might give one of them a shot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifles come and go, esp the cheap ones. Try the rifles out then sell them. A good scope will get the best out of them.

Good scopes are not sold but go on to the next project.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.