Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
So for all you long headed pards who hammered GMC for accepting bailouts and swearing never to buy another GMC product. Which is worse?

Moving production across the border or taking .gov money?

Based on previous posts everyone should now be buying a Toyota!! Right!!?? laugh

That's what I do.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
they're moving their low margin production to mexico, so they can fill those plants with high margin products (trucks and SUVs) because they have less re-work, and are 2x as productive as mexico's work force. The UAW isn't going to loose any jobs, and they're actually LOOSING their 2 teir wage system (which for them is good) that means that the people that were making those small cars, who's ceiling was limited at 19/hr are able to make more money by being moved into A. tier. This will create billions and billions of dollars in construction here in the US. Our local chyrsler plant is shipping the dart to mexico, and replacing the compas with the Jeep cherokee, they are putting on a 500 worker 3rd shift, to support this, 2 suppliers are building 400,000 sq ft mfg facilities that will employ another 500 each, them moving the [bleep] boxes to mexico is allowing them to invest in their high profit, high value employees, this is why you don't hear the UAW bitching about it.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whatever. Nobody needs to convince me why Ford beats GM, day in, day out. They just do. In every aspect.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'll probably get tarred and feathered for saying this but:
Americans are going to have to down grade our way of life if we expect to keep up with the rest of the world. It's a global economy and a global market.

The global economy is making a global standard of living which is going to suck for the average American.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Americans are going to have to down grade our way of life if we expect to keep up with the rest of the world. It's a global economy and a global market.

The global economy is making a global standard of living which is going to suck for the average American.

Yes.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Maybe we should all move to Mexico.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That wouldn't be that much different than moving to America 500 years ago...other than the neighbors.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Whiptail

So if you have children you should be driving them to be greater than average, right?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Just makes me think of when people talk [bleep] about Toyota saying "buy American." Well my Japanese truck was built in Texas. Your American car/truck was built in Mexico

Nope, Louisville, Kentucky.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my f250 was built in louisville and my subaru outback was built in indiana.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
A CEO's role, every CEO, is to deliver value to the shareholder, nothing more. Oh, and yes we do live in a world, not just the US.

no argument from me, but they also have an obligation as an American citizen - not to the American worker but to the future strength and reliability of this country.

You may build cars in Mexico but you sell them to Americans. CEOs are overvalued and overpaid, especially when their only solution to maximizing profits is not to innovate but to outsource.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/14/16.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Ford and others need that cheap labor for a huge profit margin. How else are they going pay those Union retirements.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by EdM
A CEO's role, every CEO, is to deliver value to the shareholder, nothing more. Oh, and yes we do live in a world, not just the US.

no argument from me, but they also have an obligation as an American citizen - not to the American worker but to the future strength and reliability of this country.

You may build cars in Mexico but you sell them to Americans. CEOs are overvalued and overpaid, especially when their only solution to maximizing profits is not to innovate but to outsource.

Seriously? An obligation to American's? The world wide shareholders don't buy that (pun intended). Ford has not innovated? In my mind they are the most innovative US car company these days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I said an obligation as an American citizen, not to Americans

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This idea that corporations have an obligation to maximize shareholder profit is actually relatively new - Milton Friedman pushed the concept in the 70's that a corporations only obligation to society is to increase its profits. This also led the way to justify pay salary to stock prices.

Compare that to the Business Roundtable who was saying

"“Corporations have a responsibility, first of all, to make available to the public quality goods and services at fair prices, thereby earning a profit that attracts ­investment to continue and enhance the enterprise, provide jobs, and build the economy,”

“The long-term viability of the corporation depends upon its responsibility to the society of which it is a part. And the well-being of society depends upon profitable and responsible business enterprises.”"
---------

Henry Ford said "“The owner, the employees, and the buying public are all one and the same, and unless an industry can so manage itself as to keep wages high and prices low it destroys itself, for otherwise it limits the number of its customers. One’s own employees ought to be one’s own best customers.”"

Maybe he questioned the logic of trying to sell $30K cars to Americans while paying Mexicans $120 a week to build them.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/14/16.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The Business Roundtable? Of course that is what they would claim. They ain't dummies. What is it the member CEO's do?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you (and Pugs) mistake my meaning. I'm not anti-business or against profit in any way. I do think that it's popular to blame "lazy, greedy, American workers, especially union workers for the loss of American manufacturing jobs but that's far from the whole story. The textile and furniture industry in North Carolina was almost if not entirely non-union, and by no means highly paid, but it's still pretty much gone overseas. If the government wasn't so heavy-handed, a lot of those jobs might still be here.

I'm not a huge fan of unions either. I was in our union for over 20 years, but as soon as I was moved to a right-to-work state I got out, mostly because as I mentioned earlier, our union spent 75% of the dues on contributions to Democrats. They also were more concerned with union security than worker concerns. Unions have definitely priced their members out of work in a lot of cases. I am vehemently against stuff like card-check and other forms of gangster tactics the unions use, like the guy I know who was shot by union thugs just because he was a guard at a non-union mine.

I'd like to see more manufacturing here, because I think it makes the country stronger (and richer), but it's going to take some compromise and innovation from a number of players to make it happen. All things considered, I'm not sure it's ever going to happen.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/14/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It's as simple as the biggest bang for the buck. Keep the share holders happy.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Rubbish. I have bought hundreds of thousands of tons of steel from China with perfect results. This in the oil and gas industry.

Many years ago I was on a raft trip in Alaska which passed under the Alaska Oil Pipeline and painted on the Pipeline and the bridge which held it was the following...Made in Japan....Keep in mind this was back in 1990 and the pipeline was built in the late 70's early 80's but do you get the picture here?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by rem141r
my f250 was built in louisville and my subaru outback was built in indiana.

So are they American autos?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,371 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,298
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.