Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Feral, invasive, non-native, destructive, expensive.
Let's ship them all to Central Park, the Washington Mall, the White House Grounds, etc. and see how much the "lovers" really like them.
Come to think of it - sounds like many of our black "citizens"

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
was in on two wild horse roundups in my life. one in 1966 and one in '71.
that was in the black rock desert area north of winnemucca nv.
those were some of the worst conformed horses i have ever seen.
morgan/ Percheron, shetland/Percheron, clydsdale footed arabs etc.
we rounded them up for a canning company that marketed them in france. they kept the population stable but i always thought they should be eradicated.
out of 250 horses one or two would have beautiful lines and my older brother would cull them out for a riding stable he ran.
if i remember right he took half dozen and out of those he broke to ride two. the other were all line back duns( pretty to look at) that he couldn't even catch in the pasture (600 acres) we put them in. when we sold the stables the old cowboy that bought it chased those duns for a few days with a jeep and drag tires and never got a rope on them. waited by the pond one night with a 30-30 and sent them off to the cannery the next day.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Allow them for dog food again, in the USA.

Problem solved.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And our woundrous leaders won't even permit a horse slaughter house in the US.
Bastids give in to the vociferous bleeding hearts every time, instead of doing what's right!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trade them to China to reduce the debt.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by mark shubert
And our woundrous leaders won't even permit a horse slaughter house in the US.
Bastids give in to the vociferous bleeding hearts every time, instead of doing what's right!
There was one planned for in Deming not to long ago. Was supposed to send the horse meat to France.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tags for Feral horses. We hunters will cull the herds to reasonable levels. Enjoy the meat and lower our cholesterol all at the same time. PS: there is no such thing as a wild horse in America. They are all Feral horses. No different than Hogs.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Since special interests, politics, bleeding hearts, and government is involved, it's no wonder nobody can agree.

What would be the correct solution to the problem?

Anyone?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016...ed-or-sold-government-board-decides.html

The U.S. government is coming under fire from animal rights activists amid concerns that almost 45,000 wild horses could be euthanized in an attempt to control their numbers.

Last week the Bureau of Land Management’s National Wild Horse and Burro Advisory Board recommended that the Bureau euthanize or sell “without limitation” excess “unadoptable” horses and burros in the BLM’s off-range corrals and pastures.

An “unadoptable” horse or burro is typically at least 5 years old, making them less attractive for purchase or adoption. The bureau has more than 44,000 horses and more than 1,000 burros in off-range pastures and corrals.

The recommendation prompted an angry response from The Humane Society of the United States. “The decision of the BLM advisory board to recommend the destruction of the 45,000 wild horses currently in holding facilities is a complete abdication of responsibility for their care,” said Humane Society Senior Vice President of Programs & Innovations Holly Hazard, in a statement.

Under the terms of the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act, the BLM manages, protects and controls wild horses and burros. The law authorizes the agency to move wild horses and burros off ranges to sustain the health of public lands. In addition to the off-range animals, the bureau estimates that more than 67,000 wild horses and burros are roaming on BLM-managed rangelands in 10 Western states.

With virtually no natural predators, wild horse and burro herd sizes can double about every four years, which means that thousands of the animals are removed from the range each year to control herd sizes and protect the land. The BLM has its own off-range holding corrals in states such as Nevada and California, as well as contracts with private ranches in locations such as Kansas and Oklahoma.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by baltz526
Tags for Feral horses. We hunters will cull the herds to reasonable levels. Enjoy the meat and lower our cholesterol all at the same time. PS: there is no such thing as a wild horse in America. They are all Feral horses. No different than Hogs.

A bunch of you guys put a lot of stock in "tags".

You are right, they are no different than coyotes or feral hogs.

Y'all "tag" them too?

Who would sell the tags? What price?

Just make them like coyotes. No closed season, no bag limits. No license required.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
'Twas Roswell, my friend.
They finally gave up trying to fight the bleeding heart know-nothings. frown

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The counselor here at my school had a brother that owned a huge ranch just north of here in the sixties. She remembers the whole family and some hands rounding up several semi loads of feral horses each year and shipping them off to be canned. Talked to another old guy about them. He said the last of them were shot in the 80's just to be rid of them. No feral horses here at all. There really shouldn't be any anywhere. Those poor,ugly,things that the BLM has in corrals just need to be canned. Terrible life for any animal!

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Auction them. Let the whiners bring their checkbooks and trailers.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
AND, IIRC $45K each to support over their lifetime!
A horse is relatively cheap to purchase - but like a wife, the long-term maintenance is a killer! smile smile smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Organic dog food.

A good old saddle horse is one thing.

But double lunging a nasty ass stallion would be frikken kinda cool.

Make a neat rug.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I was a lot younger, and coyotes were still worth $80 or so, we would keep am eye on the horse sales at the sale barns around here. Often you could get a foundered old Shetland for $10 or $20. We would shoot em gut em and quarter em and have five (counting gut pile) good places to set traps for several weeks. I would imagine, that even though the money is not in the coyotes anymore, that someone creative could figure out how this could still be a win win deal. Maybe wolves like em too! wink

Last edited by Jacques_La_Rami; 09/14/16.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They make good pepper sticks, hamburger and I think if you got a long yearling the backstrap and tenderloin would be good. We have a lot of [bleep] here. I have seen a few that make pretty decent saddle horses, most don't. One thing they are tough. Got a friend that has about 5 that he packs, he figures if he kills one he ain't lost much lol. The [bleep] out on the Gardens ( Devils Gardens) have a lot of draft blood in them, good meat horses lol. Think there are about 2500 on the Gardens, the Forrest Circus figures the Gardens should support about 350. They been trying to gather some for about 3 years but so far haven't gathered any cause of the do gooders law suits.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bleep equals a hitters, which what the cowboys call them lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jacques_La_Rami
When I was a lot younger, and coyotes were still worth $80 or so, we would keep am eye on the horse sales at the sale barns around here. Often you could get a foundered old Shetland for $10 or $20. We would shoot em gut em and quarter em and have five (counting gut pile) good places to set traps for several weeks. I would imagine, that even though the money is not in the coyotes anymore, that someone creative could figure out how this could still be a win win deal. Maybe wolves like em too! wink
Fast forward to today. You can buy an old canner cow or goat and do that without a problem. If you shoot a horse, though, it becomes a federal case. If someone finds the carcass in the desert and calls the cops, they'll do a full blown investigation. Save your bill of sale because you might need it to prove you didn't shoot a feral horse. Even at that, they'll likely charge you with littering or something.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by mark shubert
'Twas Roswell, my friend.
They finally gave up trying to fight the bleeding heart know-nothings. frown
There was going to be one in Deming also. Gave up for the same reasons as Roswell.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I might of just found it there and found a strategic overlook to see if I could get some kind of reward for catching horse shooters and was gonna call PETA and the authorities when I got back to town with more evidence right.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
45,000 horses is a Lot of $$ Frenchy food...

We used to sell em to the Canuks until Mustang Annie and her ilk decided they were too cute to eat....

And Barry is spot on that those inbreed dinks seldom turn into good pets let alone saddle horses...

Really? Seen quite a few and that's just here in SoCal.

Folks in No NV who have watched the damage wild horses have done to their range land for the last half century would be happy to see you and your SoCal neighbors come and get em all.....

In other words....just like everyone else in SoCal....you don't have a f ucking clue as to what makes a good horse....

Or anything else for that matter.....

People are taking what they can, whole mustang clubs around here. They seem to be doing okay. The problem is way too many horses breeding unchecked, way more human encroachment. The wild west has been dead for a long time. Whatever the solution, not everyone will be happy. While I like the idea of wild horses I think the solution is going to come down to eradication but it will probably be highly covert. Tell me oh wise one how do you know what I know?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,807
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.