Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by woodson
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
It is unusual in my experiance to have a self-propelled mower that did not give one a "push" option--or at least a "ground speed" adjustment.

Yours have neither?

It obviously had the ability to not engage the self prop but you are fighting the gearing. Free balling ain't possible.

Had a Honda given to me last year. It was a nice push mower but nothing like my older LawnBoy. The LB has variable speed built into the engage lever where the Honda didn't. Big difference.

FJB & FJT

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For a postage stamp yard, take a look at battery electrics. They require a lot less maintenance, are lighter in weight, and winter storage is just putting it away with the battery in the house. The newer models are pretty good these days.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ya'll like my flamingos

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I've been using my in-laws while they're out of town. It a Toro with a honda on top. Has the personal pace. It's a dream to use compared to my craftsman with the B&S engine, with the cheapest FWD they can make and call it a "powered drive" mower. I keep hoping the craftsman will die...

Last edited by NTG; 04/26/16.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ended up getting the Husqvarna 7021. Very pleased. Pushes easier than it is to chase the self propelled around the yard. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice push mower.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do you find that the large rear wheels actually make a helpful difference?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a little fuel flow adjustment would rectify the issue. Have two self propelled and I can tune both of them.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/16/16.

1Minute
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My first honda mower was bought back in 1991 it had a cast aluminum deck . I gave it to my brother when it was 16 years old and would still be running if my brothers wife had checked the oil level 2 years ago. I have had 2 of them since, nothing is as reliable, runs as quietly and in my case Mulches grass as well. I do not have a big yard and that may be a big factor as well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Akbob5
I have a Honda with the plastic deck (pex?). It's small wheel, rear wheel drive. It's the Honda 2-blade system. It's the cheapest in the line of plastic decks. I run the schitt out of it. Cuts great, runs great. You can bag or mulch. Oh, you can adjust the self-propelled speed also.

I have one of these as well. I got rid of a rider to get this. I couldn't how uniform the grass looked after mowing. It does a decent job mulching and I don't have to worry about the deck rusting from thatch. I opted for the 190cc engine over the 160cc. Great mowers.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Been using one like this for 7 summers now...

still runs great...$40 less w/o self propelled

Lawn Boy..from Amazon....$279 shipped

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/810FyNJw9gL._SL1500_.jpg

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i pay a yard guy.

Short of a couple of tractor mows a year that I do, my wife takes care of the yard. She gets a house cleaner in return.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ended up getting the Husqvarna 7021. Very pleased. Pushes easier than it is to chase the self propelled around the yard. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice push mower.

I like mine as well. On my third summer with it at the new house. 3/4 acre yard.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Got a Troy-Built self propelled mower with a Honda engine. Engine runs great, but the self propelled is crap. Bought it used from a local repair shop. Someone had brought it in for repair on the self repelled gear and a new transmission had been installed, but they never picked it up. I used it for a couple of months and the self propelled quit working. Took it back to the shop and they ordered and installed a new transmission for it charging me only for labor. Used it for a couple more months and it broke again, same problem. Took it back to the shop and had him remove the self propelled gears so I can use it as a regular push mower. Learned that this model has been discontinued. No mystery to me as to why. The Honda engine starts easy and runs great.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Do you find that the large rear wheels actually make a helpful difference?

I honestly couldn't tell ya one way or the other.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As a kid I tried to mow with my sister's pet sheep. Didn't work.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a Honda push mower with aluminum deck that I bought new in 1979 or 1980. It still starts up on 2d pull and runs perfectly. I change the oil every season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have a craftman with a Honda engine self propelled with high back wheels. It's too damn fast for my little town house postage stamp. I'm gonna dump this one on Craigslist and want a PUSH mower. Big fan of the Honda engines. Seems like a number of folks incorporate the Honda engine into their own decks. Husqvarna, Lawn Boy and I'm sure others have basically what I'm looking for. Is there any meaningful difference in these decks vs say a genuine Honda deck?

I'm really hard on lawn mowers. I've had a Husqvarna deck with a Honda motor for 7-8 years now. It's had the [bleep] beat out of it. What I REALLY need is a brush mower, haha.... anyway the Honda is a great small engine. I have had my disappointments with the Husq deck. The front wheel drive setup was total crap and after futzing with it as nauseam I cut out the little gearbox with a sawzall to leave only the front wheels on stub axles. Works fine now <g>. The sheet metal shroud around the blade got damaged and I had to remove part of it, and drill and tap some jimmy-rig holes to hold other parts together.

I'm a fan of my Husqvarna chain saws, big time, but this Husq deck is pretty cheesy.

Motor runs good still though. I'm flat amazed I never blew the shear key; in fact I'm not convinced it even has one. I think the only thing I've fixed on the motor, and it's a stretch to say it's the motor, is a part where the blade attached to the output shaft of the motor. I think maybe that served as a shear key; it certainly eventually failed, but not gracefully, requiring me to drill out the snapped bolt from the output shaft. Then again shear keys are a PITA too.

Anyway. Honda good. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,298
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.