Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong. Or better yet, if I could be reloading more right.

When I measure OAL I measure from the tip of the bullet. Accubonds and BTs aren't much of an issue because they're all really close to each other in length. Spin the seater up or down, measure, bingo.

Partitions and VLDs aren't quite so uniform. I sort through bullets to find one of predetermined length and use it as the representative bullet, so to speak. Spin the seater, find the right length, bingo.

But I've read about measuring from the ogive, since that doesn't change, while the tip can be off for a variety of reasons. So the question is, how many of you measure from the ogive, and how do you do it? And who just measures a bullet and calls it good?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I use a comparator on what ever I reload for. Used a Sinclair like the one in the link below for years but now have a Hornady.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...-style-bullet-comparators-prod83792.aspx

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the hornady tool and works great

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong. Or better yet, if I could be reloading more right.

When I measure OAL I measure from the tip of the bullet. Accubonds and BTs aren't much of an issue because they're all really close to each other in length. Spin the seater up or down, measure, bingo.

Partitions and VLDs aren't quite so uniform. I sort through bullets to find one of predetermined length and use it as the representative bullet, so to speak. Spin the seater, find the right length, bingo.

But I've read about measuring from the ogive, since that doesn't change, while the tip can be off for a variety of reasons. So the question is, how many of you measure from the ogive, and how do you do it? And who just measures a bullet and calls it good?

P

I just measure to the bullet tip and call it good. The other chit is way over rated.. wink .

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I measure to the tip of the bullet, not the ogive. I don't sort bullets or brass. I don't spin the case when I seat them either. I haven't found any accuracy issues. However, I don't shoot past about 300-400 yards.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady for me too. I've found alot of difference in the OAL of bullets relative to the ogive especially Partitions. I've seen 0.030 difference in the ogive locations in 30 cal 180 grain Partitions.

In fact I ran into a problem with them. I load 0.020" off land and groove for my 30-06. The bullets at 3.31 OAL turned out to be jammed into the L&G - which isn't a good thing when you're running a max load. I honestly think it was a fluke box because the OAL with all the other boxes measure 3.280 to 3.285 at 0.020 off.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"ogive measurey thingy"

smile smile

Obviously, you communicated, readers understood and responded.
No problem.
grin

Jerry

ps - I measure to the boolit tip. FWIW

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Where the tip of the bullet sits in relation to the lands is of little consequence.

Where the ogive sits in relationship to the lands is of great consequence.

I long ago learned that the distance from bullet tip to ogive varies greatly within even the same box of bullets. Even with polymertipped bullets.

So I purchased the Hornady tool and measure COAL from the ogive .

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use a Sinclair nut.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use the Hornady.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Where the tip of the bullet sits in relation to the lands is of little consequence.

Where the ogive sits in relationship to the lands is of great consequence

Exactly.

That being said, I do both. I use Sinclair comparators mostly, but have Hornady also. I guess it just depends on the rifle/usage. For match loads, I am very particular. For hunting loads, I often just measure tip and go with max mag length......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sinclair Comparator. Probably overkill for some hunting loads I use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not all bullet of the same weight are consistent and a plastic tip will not guarantee you are anywhere close on your jump to the lands unless you seat using a comparator

Example 200 gr Accubonds

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My comparator is the steel dial caliper kept on my loading bench. When I want to compare ogives on different bullets, I lock the caliper to halfway between bore and groove diameter for the caliber (as an example, .304 for .30 caliber) then use the caliper's jaws to scribe a line around a bullet at that diameter. This also makes finding a similar seating depth for different brands of bullets easy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My comparator is the steel dial caliper kept on my loading bench. When I want to compare ogives on different bullets, I lock the caliper to halfway between bore and groove diameter for the caliber (as an example, .304 for .30 caliber) then use the caliper's jaws to scribe a line around a bullet at that diameter. This also makes finding a similar seating depth for different brands of bullets easy.

Good idea

Question, why not at .300" land diameter?

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I measure to the ogive, but also to the tip if magazine constraints are a factor.

For ogive measurements, I make adaptors for my calipers out of barrel stubs of the appropriate caliber.

I don't have a picture of it, but same idea as this headspace measurement tool, just a smaller hole. It's just a shop-made version of the Sinclair or Hornady tools.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I found that comparing VLDs to BTs and partitions had a different length to lands on the VLDs, which doesnt make sense to me. I repeated several times with an "ogive measurey thingy" that EDtoomanyletters lent me, and it does appear that distance to lands is shorter on the VLDs (should be the same for any bullet of same caliber right?)
I even thought about the longer VLDs bottoming out on the measurey thingy but it would make it longer

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Because rifling tapers in the throat. I want the bullet closer to the lands to start with.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Sponxx
I found that comparing VLDs to BTs and partitions had a different length to lands on the VLDs, which doesnt make sense to me. I repeated several times with an "ogive measurey thingy" that EDtoomanyletters lent me, and it does appear that distance to lands is shorter on the VLDs (should be the same for any bullet of same caliber right?)
I even thought about the longer VLDs bottoming out on the measurey thingy but it would make it longer

Ogive shapes vary a lot between different bullet styles, and are definitely not the same for any bullet of the same caliber.

Keep in mind your seater stem usually does not bear against the part of the ogive that contacts the rifling, so you may see small differences in seated ogive length because of variations from one bullet to the next.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can just look at different bullets of same caliber and notice the ogive is different. Especially if different weights, but just about any different bullets really. Not sure why anyone would ever assume they were same.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, BALLISTIK, BallisticBRYAN, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,409
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.