Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought a brand-new Model 70 FWT in 30/06 in early 2015. At first, groups were at or under 1 MOA with most loads. Fast forward to the last couple of weeks when I’m getting ready for elk season, and suddenly it’s shooting groups that are about .75 MOA tall and about 3 MOA wide. It does this with three loads and three different Leupold scopes. I’ve checked the action screws, the ring and base screws, and they’re all tight.

Any ideas about what’s going wrong?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
check if the front base screw is dead heading on shank, front action screw hitting bolt, or you might be dealing with parallax.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd bet the summer humidity warped the forend.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
I bought a brand-new Model 70 FWT in 30/06 in early 2015. At first, groups were at or under 1 MOA with most loads. Fast forward to the last couple of weeks when I’m getting ready for elk season, and suddenly it’s shooting groups that are about .75 MOA tall and about 3 MOA wide. It does this with three loads and three different Leupold scopes. I’ve checked the action screws, the ring and base screws, and they’re all tight.

Any ideas about what’s going wrong?

Thanks,

Okie John

Did you Loctite the base screws? Don't just "check" them, Loctite them and use a good set like Leupold dual dovetails. Also make sure the front base screw is not bottoming out on the barrel threads. Check factory bedding to be sure your action is not being stressed/torqued. Make sure your barrel is still freefloated, like it was when you bought it. After trying 3 scopes, I'd be more inclined to think it's a base/ring problem, or a bedding problem.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Make sure there isnt a copper build up in the barrel. Also make sure the barrel is still floated as suggested above.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
check if the front base screw is dead heading on shank, front action screw hitting bolt, or you might be dealing with parallax.

Checked the screws and I think I’m OK. How do I check parallax?

Originally Posted by MichiganScott
I'd bet the summer humidity warped the forend.

Could be. But I’m in western Washington, and it’s generally a lot wetter in the fall. I’m definitely thinking bedding or some other kind of weirdness with the wood.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Did you Loctite the base screws? Don't just "check" them, Loctite them and use a good set like Leupold dual dovetails. Also make sure the front base screw is not bottoming out on the barrel threads. Check factory bedding to be sure your action is not being stressed/torqued. Make sure your barrel is still freefloated, like it was when you bought it. After trying 3 scopes, I'd be more inclined to think it's a base/ring problem, or a bedding problem.

I also think it’s either mounting stuff or bedding. I used blue LocTite on the base screws, and I had to shorten one of them to make it work when I first mounted the scope. I’ll check the others, though. I’m using Weaver rings and bases, which may be part of the problem, though I’ve had good luck with them before. The barrel is free-floated, but how would I check to see whether the action is being stressed or torqued?

Originally Posted by TomM1
Make sure there isnt a copper build up in the barrel. Also make sure the barrel is still floated as suggested above.

I just went through it with Hoppe’s and Sweet’s, but I may not have gotten everything out. I’ve put about 500 rounds through it this year, so that may be part of the issue.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I’m really looking forward to getting this sorted out.

Thanks again,

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
John,
I like Wipe-Out to clean the bore.
You can usually tell if the action is torquing by the way the screws tighten. If they go from loose to stopped in about 1/4 turn, the action is sitting good. If OTOH the screws start to give resistance and come tight over 1-2 turns, the bedding needs attention. Try tightening the front and see how the back one tightens then try the tightening the back first then the front. If you don't go from loose to tight in 1/4 turn either way you are putting stress on the action.
Best of luck with the elk.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2nd the wipe-out, best stuff I've found for removing copper. Never cared for sweet's. Barnes CR-10 is better than that stuff.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I found with mine is it just likes playing dirty.

After I clean mine at the end of the season it takes several rounds (10-15) to get it shooting well again. It just likes the fouling better. So now all I do during the season is run a bore snake thru it with a little Break Free or dry and call it a day. 1.5" groups at 200. I just do not think mine gets that much copper fouling to warrant "Heavy" cleaning all of the time. I am sure you will get plenty to say that I am nuts but it works for me.

Hope this helps you.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
What I found with mine is it just likes playing dirty.

After I clean mine at the end of the season it takes several rounds (10-15) to get it shooting well again. It just likes the fouling better. So now all I do during the season is run a bore snake thru it with a little Break Free or dry and call it a day. 1.5" groups at 200. I just do not think mine gets that much copper fouling to warrant "Heavy" cleaning all of the time. I am sure you will get plenty to say that I am nuts but it works for me.

Hope this helps you.

I've seen rifles that shoot best dirty. This one had about 500 rounds since the last cleaning when it started to act up. I might need to shoot it more and see what happens.

Okie John

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
OK, so I got a Wheeler FAT torque wrench and re-checked the action screws. I tightened the front one to 60 inch-pounds and set the rear one at 35 inch-pounds and started shooting test groups. The first group was about 2 MOA and about 5 inches to the left. I got back to 1 MOA with 40 inch-pounds on the rear screw, then moved the POI back to center. It's now holding about 1 MOA, which is nice, and should get me through hunting season.

The next step is either a proper bedding job or a synthetic stock, but I'll deal with that after I get game on the ground.

Thanks for your help.

Okie John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.