Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't do it, they're death traps.

I got my kids one, a 2010 forester. After having the head gaskets replaced at 40k, I had the opportunity to drive during a blizzard. There is something critically wrong with the design of the anti-skid or traction control system that will eventually kill you. The damn thing will not move if it senses poor traction on all four wheels if you are to 'punch it'. I luckily found this out before my kids did. I was at a stop sign and floored it to cross the road just To feel the tire traction. Instead of 2 wheels spinning, it tried to find a wheel with traction, which it couldn't do, so it just putted very slowly out to the intersection, very slowly. If a vehicle would of been coming I would of been broadsided. I inquired with the mfg, and talked to mechanics, vehicle operating normally was what I was told.

I sold that piece of [bleep] before it killed someone in my family.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Alaskajim

I got my kids one, a 2010 forester. After having the head gaskets replaced at 40k, I had the opportunity to drive during a blizzard. There is something critically wrong with the design of the anti-skid or traction control system that will eventually kill you. The damn thing will not move if it senses poor traction on all four wheels if you are to 'punch it'. I luckily found this out before my kids did. I was at a stop sign and floored it to cross the road just To feel the tire traction. Instead of 2 wheels spinning, it tried to find a wheel with traction, which it couldn't do, so it just putted very slowly out to the intersection, very slowly. If a vehicle would of been coming I would of been broadsided. I inquired with the mfg, and talked to mechanics, vehicle operating normally was what I was told.

This is true of other companies traction control systems as well. My ford escape does it, of course its easily disabled in either vehicle.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Did you try turning the traction control off?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

did you read the owners manual? or wonder what that little button down on the left side of the dash near your knee was for?

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Subaru 1, guard rail 0!

Safety rating -- 5 stars!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Traction control.....Shut it off.

ABS...Not necessary. Gotta pull the fuse to shut that nonsense off though.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The traction control has a shutoff button. Try using it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Owners manual? What's that?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Great feedback everyone glad I asked you guys.

Still confused on the differentials. Must be limited slip but tough to find any info. If traction is directed by braking that means there is some type of automatic individual wheel brake control? That's a magnitude of complexity!

Also seems like the troublesome head gasket was solved by 2010?
If traction is directed by braking, it's not limited slip. It's traction control. It'll do nothing for you for getting you going like limited slip. It's to keep control on slick highways.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If traction is directed by braking, it's not limited slip. It's traction control. It'll do nothing for you for getting you going like limited slip. It's to keep control on slick highways.

Surprisingly if does...There's a video somewhere of it doing hill starts on some sort of test track, along with a couple of its competitors..The Forester is better by a country mile...

A friend had one for a while, and it really is impressive providing you don't try to pull away like an F1 driver!

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looking at Foresters to replace my Xterra. Has to tow a 1200lb tin boat. Anyone have experience towing with a Forester?

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Don't know about now, but in times past, manual transmission cars had a substantially simpler means of transmitting torque to the rear wheels via a viscous lockup clutch in the transmission. Front axle is direct-geared to the transmission, and rear axle is along for the ride until driveshaft speeds differ enough for the thixotropic silicone goop in the viscous clutch to heat up, thicken up, and give a near or actual lockup. It comes on quick enough that you don't really notice. No interference from the fricking computer. Bonehead simple. Don't run your car with tires of different wear, or with one or two tires with low pressure, or you'll burn this viscous clutch up.

Autos have a little brain telling the locking differential in the transmission which connects to the rear axle what to do, while interfering with throttle and applying brake.

I'd rather eat lint than own an automatic Subaru. Maybe things have changed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I had to drive a passenger car / "cute-ute" it'd probably be a Subaru.

In the past I'd have looked at Toyota (RAV4) but I've been very displeased with my 2014 Tacoma compared to 4WD Nissan trucks and Jeeps in the past, and displeased with dealership inability to fix the core problem, that I will not likely ever own another Toyota product.

The problem with any of them is my favorite camping spot is getting more and more difficult to get to as the roads deteriorate. Its a little iffy in the Tacoma (4WD with the TRD Offroad package) now. Forester? RAV4? Hah!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Traction was incredible with the Forester. But you can't smart your way through ground clearance issues. Hence the Tacoma and Suzuki Samurai ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just put a 2" hitch on my wife's forester. It has a 500 lb tongue capacity and a 3500 tow weight. It's made by draw tight.

Took me about 30 minutes to install once I had the proper tools and floor jack ready

I've not towed with it yet but that option is available if you want it. Under 200 bucks

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so what is the general consensus? new Subaru's suck or new Subaru's are great? smile

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone else can share their feelings. We spent a month researching this including my post here.

The interior and exterior features are a toss up among the models of most manufactures. Quality is probably as good except for Hyundai which had lots of issues.

However nothing even comes close to the 4x4 system capability. We would need to go to VW Touareg, Audi or Porsche at 60k plus to have an equally performing system.

I bought her the 2017 forester premium with Xmode 26,000 bucks. Quite nice.
Edit: no vehicle we looked at or drove was even close in visibility. From the driver seat the ability to see around you is the best of any vehicle we looked at

Last edited by JJHACK; 10/09/16.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.