Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by KuiLei
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

No way a kid under the age of 10 should have homework.

And Idiocracy, here we come...

What do you mean?

I think I know, but as I am quite daft, would like you to explain it to me.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 10/03/16.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old math had it's problems, too. I got through 3 semesters of college calculus in the '60's and still had no idea of what it was used for. We were taught all theory and no practical use whatever. Years later I was considering going back to school and needed to bone up on math. A friend who taught at a local college gave me a 'business calculus' book a salesman had given him. It was full of practical examples of calculus in use. The light bulb switched on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Didn't you have any concurrent physics or chemistry courses? I was well into using calculus by my second semester as an engineering undergraduate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as 3 and 5 are still acceptable answers to 2+2, I'm good with it...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Btw, where's my participation trophy for posting in this thread?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman
Didn't you have any concurrent physics or chemistry courses? I was well into using calculus by my second semester as an engineering undergraduate.
I had 2 semesters of physics and 3 of chem. They didn't use it at that level. My major was agriculture so my sciences after that went toward biology.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In other news only incidentally related to this thread, clear and concise communication seems to be a lost art. As a programmer I deal in specifics, computers don’t know “what you meant by that”. I constantly get the fuzziest, non-informational emails possible, mostly from millennials (several with MBA’s) but also from older folks who should know better, and which take me 10 or 15 minutes just to determine what the sender is actually asking.

We have a pet name for that – Common Core communication.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I think CC and math ed in general has swung way too hard away from rote memorization of arithmetic. It's useful to teach why things are the way they are, but not at the expense of pure autopilot arithmetic speed.

Regarding reading - the excessive emphasis on reading comprehension in math is at best misguided, and at worst an abandonment of dyslexic but otherwise sharp kids who can "do" traditional math well. The same kids that end up excelling in skilled trades or other careers that are tremendously important/valuable/productive yet less tied to academia. One wonders if it's deliberate.

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Vek: two thoughts to tie in with what you said:
1) You brought up the horribly unacceptable word (and concept)"memorization", which is currently anathema to those who set policy without being involved. smile
I am still of the old-school belief that memorization is a good skill to develop, not only for the information that it makes instantly available to the brain, but for the exercise that it provides for the brain.
2)Way too much time is spent on "reading instruction" at the expense of other subjects. While reading, particularly reading comprehension, is extremely important, there is only so much that can be done to help students to develop that skill to the highest level that they are capable of achieving; after that it is just wasted time and effort.

Last edited by Vek; 10/03/16.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A lot of the common core math stuff is what I've been doing for 40 years.

Doing things in 10's is the way to roll. Most people I know can't add 5 numbers without writing it all out and carrying numbers.

Do sheit in 10's and you can rock it in your head in seconds.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I think the real trouble is not with the Common Core awesomeness, it is the fact that after all that GOVT education, you are qualified to flip a burger.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
In other news only incidentally related to this thread, clear and concise communication seems to be a lost art. As a programmer I deal in specifics, computers don’t know “what you meant by that”. I constantly get the fuzziest, non-informational emails possible, mostly from millennials (several with MBA’s) but also from older folks who should know better, and which take me 10 or 15 minutes just to determine what the sender is actually asking.

I agree with the concept "words mean things" and constantly run into people trying to "read between the lines" foolishness. In my field it was sort of like yours. It was either right or wrong. There was never "close enough" unless it was right.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Reminds me of the 'Fire. Lots of 5 paragraph responses to questions that are easily answered with a 'Yes or No'

I've asked many a people, what are the least amount of words you can use to get your point/question across.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vek,

The same kids that end up excelling in skilled trades or other careers that are tremendously important/valuable/productive yet less tied to academia. One wonders if it's deliberate.

Rush has been saying for years the government is working on and succeeding at the dumbing down of America. Fifty-three years ago I helped my brother, who was terrible at academics, get into the plumbers union. He excelled to the point where he became a foreman for many years.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

"...eats, shoots, and leaves..."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Quoting older posts...double yup.

I earned pretty OK grades in eng school - not by being a genius, but by drilling at length on homework, quizzes and earlier exams to where lots of things on big exams and finals became automatic (and VERY FAST), conserving precious time for figuring out the tricky BS. I got a lot of quizzical looks from profs and under-the-breath expletives from fellow students when I'd pack up a half hour early on a two hour final exam, having spent 15 minutes checking answers and another 15 re-checking answers. I wasn't doing anything particularly novel, I wasn't taking any genius shortcuts. Repetition brought speed and understanding.

This isn't horn tooting. This is proving the point - repetition brings about both speed and understanding.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
We don't need new ways of presenting math, we need discipline in schools and students who put in the work.

Yup...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A great cure for test anxiety is to know what you're doing.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A great cure for test anxiety is to know what you're doing.

Exactly.

I remember a few people in college asking me how I did so well on tests. I told them that I read the assignments, made sure I understood what I read and PAID attention in class.

Forget the note taking and spend the time comprehending what the teacher is teaching. I see SO many jotting away notes in a fury, but not listening/comprehending what is being said.

I almost NEVER took notes, sometimes a few bullet words etc, but that was it. I found it far better to UNDERSTAND what was being taught and you can't do that if you're too busy writing.

If you UNDERSTAND was is being taught, you don't need to worry about tests and studying.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A lot of the common core math stuff is what I've been doing for 40 years.

Doing things in 10's is the way to roll. Most people I know can't add 5 numbers without writing it all out and carrying numbers.

Do sheit in 10's and you can rock it in your head in seconds.

This^

Had a Grandfather who delivered feed to farmers out of the back of a big truck until he was 70. Watched him routinely add columns of 4 & 5-digit numbers in his head.......quickly and accurately. He used to entertain us grandkids by adding columns of multi-digit numbers upside down.

His explanation (and training) were "common core". It's not a particularly new premise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Btw, where's my participation trophy for posting in this thread?

It was in a pastel bag with your juice box and cookie. Also you should know that your trophy will be gender neutral.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If a test is important, you should be at least a bit anxious.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (219 Wasp, 204guy, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,610
Posts18,532,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.