Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A 22lr to the knee cap and I'm faster than anybody!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've just been watching bear wrestling video's to train up, this guy knows how to get it done.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
After the initial attack a grizzly is more inclined to walk away as long as the perceived threat is neutralized. A black bear that attacks is more likely a predatory response and as mentioned more inclined to eat you. The difference in size is a mute point because an unarmed man can neither outrun nor out fight either.

I'll take a gun over cayenne seasoning spray.

Thinking "moot" might be the word you were looking for...

Tell a certain old cement finisher named Moe about that... he killed a Kodiak bear with a Buck knife.

Moot is it thanks, my mind and my spellcheck don't always concure 😉

I don't doubt it can be done with a Buck knife but don't care to try. Moe might've got'er done with a knife but his brother Curly? The odds aren't in his favor. If that's how it's gotta be then I want some hot sauce as an appetizer.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by RAS
The issue isnt whether spray or a firearm would work, but rather if the user would be collected enough to use either properly.

Some people just freeze up when something like this happens.

Seen this happen overseas. Once when we had indirect fire on us and once when we got poked at with direct fire weapons.

It happens. Everyone is different. You might not know what you will do until it happens. Meaning, being effective with whatever deterrent to stop bad things.

Being cool and collected under stressful conditions is a most valuable asset. Hard to learn for some.
thats one asset i've always had.

Me too but in all honesty I am not sure if it is cool under fire of just stupidity.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by RAS
The issue isnt whether spray or a firearm would work, but rather if the user would be collected enough to use either properly.

Some people just freeze up when something like this happens.

Seen this happen overseas. Once when we had indirect fire on us and once when we got poked at with direct fire weapons.

It happens. Everyone is different. You might not know what you will do until it happens. Meaning, being effective with whatever deterrent to stop bad things.

Being cool and collected under stressful conditions is a most valuable asset. Hard to learn for some.
thats one asset i've always had.

Me too but in all honesty I am not sure if it is cool under fire of just stupidity.

For never seeing a grizzly or setting foot in grizzly country, you 24 hour guys are bad ass.

Lethal weapons.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Joezone
Just got back from a backpacking trip in Montana. We heard footsteps outside the tent at 3 am. Didn't have a firearm only bear spray. Thinking was [bleep] won't be a good situation if I have to discharge it in the tent:) So unzipped and looked out and whatever it was had departed. 0600 heard the noise again, same result. Would definitely prefer a firearm in that situation. Next day we came back to the tent from a hike and found a mountain goat standing within 20 feet of the tent and I suspect that is what we heard at night. However we had seen two black bears the last half hour of light in the area. This area is thick with Grizzly too so it was an interesting night.

Ugh. A black bear in CA scared the chit out of me late one night. Food was stored well away from the tent and it just had to paw my tent anyway.

Wonder if a girlish scream would deter a griz?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anybody ever try a taser? Just curious.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
A 22lr to the knee cap and I'm faster than anybody!

If you can hit a running knee cap, you can hit a bear.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
After the initial attack a grizzly is more inclined to walk away as long as the perceived threat is neutralized. A black bear that attacks is more likely a predatory response and as mentioned more inclined to eat you. The difference in size is a mute point because an unarmed man can neither outrun nor out fight either.

Thinking "moot" might be the word you were looking for...

Tell a certain old cement finisher named Moe about that... he killed a Kodiak bear with a Buck knife.

Moot is it thanks, my mind and my spellcheck don't always concure 😉

I don't doubt it can be done with a Buck knife but don't care to try. Moe might've got'er done with a knife but his brother Curly? The odds aren't in his favor. If that's how it's gotta be then I want some hot sauce as an appetizer.

Something tells me ol Moe might go mute if asked to a rematch, making the point moot.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by callnum

For never seeing a grizzly or setting foot in grizzly country, you 24 hour guys are bad ass.

Lethal weapons.

Another dazzling display of brilliant intellect by Callnum

Harvard or Yale ??????

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

F&G has done some testing with tasers. It's been used w/ moose as well.

Sorry no links.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

F&G has done some testing with tasers. It's been used w/ moose as well.

Sorry no links.

I've watched plenty of dudes on COPS fail to succumb to a taser.

I'll pass.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It has worked well and shows promise in certain situations.

Of course it's not for general use.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
E
There was a problem Grizzly dispatched of in waiparous within the last few weeks. I had drinks with a coworker over Stampede and she showed me video of the bear in her yard. She tells me that the bear had raided a chicken coop a day before the video was taken.

I don't know how much more there is to the story but she did mentioned that this bear had Relocated once previously. I guess it must have been determined that the bear could not be trusted.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Taser a bear? What the ph ook would one do with after it got the 5 second ride. Life 5 seconds longer I guess.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've seen enough youtube videos of dogs distracting bears during a charge to believe that having one or more dogs with you could be a life saver.

And anyone know who the guy in this video is? He seemed pretty calm considering the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jT9C9XRTK0

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by postoak
I've seen enough youtube videos of dogs distracting bears during a charge to believe that having one or more dogs with you could be a life saver.

And anyone know who the guy in this video is? He seemed pretty calm considering the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jT9C9XRTK0

Most dogs will get scared and run back to their owner, bringing the bear with them. Bad juju unless it's a trained dog and preferably a Karelian or similar.

The guy in the video had a rifle at the ready and the bear was clearly not charging.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Bear spray is not cayenne! Spray yourself with each and then tell me which you like better.

People can talk pretty tough until there is a bear bailing toward them. It is much easier to hit him with pepper spray and it has proven more effective.

The guy that got attacked twice, I would bet, either had spray that was over three years old, or he just THOUGHT he hit her right. Spray would have at least slowed her with proper application of NEW spray.

They should put expiration dates on the spray. I talked to a doctor in Cody, Wyoming and he told me that spray is junk after three years.

Guns are totally illegal in national parks.

Last edited by sbhooper; 10/05/16.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sbhooper

The guy that got attacked twice, I would bet, either had spray that was over three years old,

I talked to a doctor in Cody, Wyoming and he told me that spray is junk after three years.

Well then it's settled. We now have all the answers we need to conclude our internet investigation of this event.

LOL
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,860
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.