Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#11496705 10/11/16
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Anybody here have it? Curious what you've done to deal with it. Short of cutting out red meat and alcohol. laugh

MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check into tart Cherry juice, I've heard that's effective.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Wifey drinks it every morning. Helps her. She hasn't taken any Clocris in months!!!

She swears by tart cherry juice!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
what works for me is,

500 mg cranberry pills

take 2 in the morning and in the evening

then 1 per day after the swelling and pain subsides, works as well as anything I've been prescribed.

drink lots of water, as well as close to pure cranberry juice as possible

no alcohol at least for a while, then in moderation (grin)

Flyer

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Wifey drinks it every morning. Helps her. She hasn't taken any Clocris in months!!!

She swears by tart cherry juice!!!!

It's worked wonders for my arthritis...Make sure it's the "Tart" type...

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had it a few years now. Went to Doc to get a Rx for Allopurinol - works wonders to treat outbreaks or as a preventative.

For me - it helps to ensure my feet don't get cold, that seems to be a trigger. About time for heavier socks to come out...

As the temperature gets colder, I switch from beer (avoid porters and stouts after Nov) to Crown Royal. I'll still have an occasional beer - but it will be something light colored like a Bud.

Another key is to up your hydration. When I feel an attack coming, I'll drink water like crazy to drown it out. I'll try to take on 5 gal of water in a day to stave off an attack I feel coming. The combination of having excess fluid and the additional exercise of walking to the bathroom every ten minutes seems to work most times.

I will cut back on red meat during late winter - esp. venison. Pork, turkey or chicken about 75% of the time in winter.

Good luck - it can be brutal during a nasty bout!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Dingmo
Had it a few years now. Went to Doc to get a Rx for Allopurinol - works wonders to treat outbreaks or as a preventative.

For me - it helps to ensure my feet don't get cold, that seems to be a trigger. About time for heavier socks to come out...

As the temperature gets colder, I switch from beer (avoid porters and stouts after Nov) to Crown Royal. I'll still have an occasional beer - but it will be something light colored like a Bud.

Another key is to up your hydration. When I feel an attack coming, I'll drink water like crazy to drown it out. I'll try to take on 5 gal of water in a day to stave off an attack I feel coming. The combination of having excess fluid and the additional exercise of walking to the bathroom every ten minutes seems to work most times.

I will cut back on red meat during late winter - esp. venison. Pork, turkey or chicken about 75% of the time in winter.

Good luck - it can be brutal during a nasty bout!

Thanks Dingmo! Couldn't remember the Allopurinol! She hasn't needed it as well!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/11/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup black cherry juice...if u can find in NOT from consontrat(?) Even better!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Allipunol 300 mg daily will prevent it

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

+1

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

So will an 8 oz. glass of tart cherry juice...I'll bet the tart cherry juice is a lot easier on both the pocket book and the liver...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Keeping hydrated had helped me a lot.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks all

Been mixing the concentrated tart cherry juice with wild turkey but should be mixing it with Pepto lol.

Was mighty close to putting the 12 gauge to my big toe.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allopurinol. Lose some pounds, BUT not too fast!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Yup black cherry juice...if u can find in NOT from consontrat(?) Even better!

Concentrate, atv, concentrate. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tried the tart cherry juice. Didn't work for me. Good luck

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get your dr. to prescribe colchicine for gout attacks. Yes it's expensive, and yes it gives you the chits when you get enough of it in you to help. The key is when you start feeling a flare up coming on to pop two, then take two that night or the next morning. I find also taking ibuprofen helps by reducing the inflammation and alloying the colchicine to get to the crystals. Lots of water as well.

Now that I know how to deal with it I haven't been tempted to cut off my big toe. I've also found that you can get flare ups in the ankles and knees.

I'm thinking the real key is to get in cardio to keep the blood pumping and drink more water to piss out the uric acid. Easy to say while sitting at a desk.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
BGG,

Calm with the 12G. When my first attack happened I was in the ER lookin at my big toe - thought it might explode - was trying to decide if that was good or bad.

Can the beer for a while - and then like was said - go for the lighter stuff.

Also deep six the gravy, finally figured out that the attacks in November and December was the result of gravy from turkey drippings. But that was me.

And yep - lose the weight slowly. Causes the uric acid to go high.

Good Luck - John(Dog)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Get your dr. to prescribe colchicine for gout attacks. Yes it's expensive, and yes it gives you the chits when you get enough of it in you to help. The key is when you start feeling a flare up coming on to pop two, then take two that night or the next morning. I find also taking ibuprofen helps by reducing the inflammation and alloying the colchicine to get to the crystals. Lots of water as well.

Now that I know how to deal with it I haven't been tempted to cut off my big toe. I've also found that you can get flare ups in the ankles and knees.

I'm thinking the real key is to get in cardio to keep the blood pumping and drink more water to piss out the uric acid. Easy to say while sitting at a desk.

That stuff didn't do me any good. Had to do the prednisone regimen to stop the gout. After that I've been taking Allopurinol as a preventative measure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I let the flare get really bad then I really have to load up on the colchicine before I get relief, but if I start taking it as soon as I get an inkling of a flare it only takes 2-4 to do the trick. Everyone's different.

Oh and if you take niacin for high blood pressure, it exacerbates gout. My dear wife was cleaning out the vitamin closet and found the niacin and said oh you haven't been taking this for awhile for your high blood pressure, you should take some. I forgot about how it affected my gout and that evening I had a bad flare up in the ankle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.