Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
When I have an attack of Gout I take Solaray celery seed extract capsules from the health food store.
I take 3, twice a day for a day or 2 max and it is gone !

https://www.walmart.com/c/ep/celery-seed-extract

I have used both the red bottle and the green bottle and while both work the green bottle seems to work best for me.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Cherry juice, cranberry juice works for me.

Wont quit beer...[bleep] that.

Last edited by HawkI; 10/11/16.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am doing the cherry juice bit but guessing the gin is washing it through?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Absnithe has a lot of herbs. But I dunno if it helps any. wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I am always a good for a go...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Get your Uric acid level checked and keep it below 5 above it can lead to long term problems.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I am always a good for a go...

Ah! Bonsoir, mon fée verte!!! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by JohnDog
Also, there is a rambo anti-inflamation drug called Indomethacin. This knocks my flares down pretty good. You need an RX to get it though.

But 458, I agree with you, now that I'm retired and have more time for bicycle riding and x-c skiing, the gout hasn't showed up for quite awhile. Also could be I'm in better shape, out doing things, and not being parked behind a desk in an air conditioned office.

JD

I take indomethacin at the first feeling that gout is coming on.
Colchicine tore my innards up!
The indo, and lots of water, seem to divert things before they get out of hand. Haven't had an attack in a couple of years+

Yes - indomethacin! If I start it when I first feel a bout coming on it knocks it down in a one to three days (so far). I don't take any preventive drug - don't have flare ups often enough. None of the other NSAIDS like ibuprofen or naproxen worked for me, but the indo does. Just don't take it for more than about a week straight - it does have potential for side effects. My gout shows up in big toe or ankle - the ankle is the worse!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Allipunol 300 mg daily will prevent it

So will an 8 oz. glass of tart cherry juice...I'll bet the tart cherry juice is a lot easier on both the pocket book and the liver...

What's the cost per day for the cherry juice dosage?

I do 2 table spoons of concentrate mixed with apple juice in a 12 oz. glass...
When I first tried it, I bought some premixed stuff at safeway in 8 oz bottles it was $2 a bottle. the concentrate is a lot cheaper.....anyhow, I was skeptical, because I'd tried the atkins diet, gluclosamine/condroitin, fish oil, krill oil etc. etc.

The morning after I drank the first bottle I noticed a difference, not much, but a little, I thought it was probably wishful thinking but figured wtf...I had three more bottles...the following morning I felt much better...by the fourth day, I was convinced it wasn't only in my head & now I drink it every day...a couple weeks ago, the local supplier ran out and I lasted about a week, before the pain started back up....Prior to getting on the juice, I'd wake up 3-4 times a night with my knees feeling like they had spikes going through them...I now never wake up at night except when either the dogs want out, or I gotta pee...from what I understand, it helps your body get rid of uric acid and it also helps with natural melatonin production and is also an anti inflammatory.

I've heard it doesn't work for everybody and that may be true, I don't know...I DO know that if I drink alcohol, I can expect the stiffness and pain to come back in short order. Good luck...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had to climb some equipment at work and stretched pretty good stepping down and "Pop" felt the tendon in my foot rip.

Sesamoid.

Burned, kinda ouchy........deal with it. Next day it was more sore, and after a few of walking funny my foot hurt in other ways.

Read that off and on ice would help. So went hardcore and iced it big time, and figured WTH..........drained 4 Double Crooked Tree IPA (12%) while camped out on the floor watching concert vids on the TV (foot in ice).

Next day I was sore, but OK. No hangover LOL (didn't drink enough to make the old lady pretty either- safe).

That night however my foot hurt more, esp my toe joint. By 1 AM I was really hurtin'. Lit me up pretty good.

Got into foot doc next day and he did a steroid shot (fun).
It helped very quickly. Put me on that cheap little white pill Allopurinol. Did blood work, then and weeks later. Did not renew my prescription.

Guess I'm OK.

Foot has never come back 100%. 5 months for the tendon to quit burning/feeling funny. Never missed work or took it easy, foot bones still hurt (not the big toe where the lightning bolt was). Not sure if from gout damage, work stress or what.........not too bad but constant low level ache in toes/bones behind them.

Not sure really what a a flare up feels like.

One episode, other foot trauma masked whatever hint of things to come.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/11/16.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
That one night though, was rather intense LOL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For whoever asked, yes, gout is an inherited trait that is a defect metabolic breakdown of the amino acid purine.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EdM
I am doing the cherry juice bit but guessing the gin is washing it through?

grin life's full of choices...I love beer, but haven't had one since memorial day...my knees and hips are thankful...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 3 years ago I had my first gout attack. I couldn't figure out how I broke my toe while sleeping. Couldn't hardly walk. It subsided by the end of the day. Had it happen about a month later, lasted 2 days. Researched it, decided it was gout. No flare ups for a year. Then I had one that lasted a month. I wear steel toe boots at work. I couldn't even put them on. Was only wearing tennis shoes and just staying in my office.

Went to doctor for first time in 15 years. He said yep its gout. Prescribed me allopurinol, but told me not to take it until symptoms went away. He claimed the allopurinol would make it worse after a flare up was going. I'm reading here that is not the case? After it went away I took allopurinol for a year with no gout coming back. Then I stopped taking it, and still it hasn't came back a year later.

My diet has not changed, I don't drink. I do eat a lot of red meat, but a lot of everything else too.

Wait and see. I can still feel that joint in my big toe with a numbness, about like its coming on, but it doesn't keep me from doing anything, just know that its there.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks again guys for all the input. I figured there'd be some on here with it. Apparently I've had it for 4-5 years and didn't know what it was.

I had gone into the doc for it once because I was afraid it was gout. But because the town I was in is over-run with ebt card carrying reservation pieces of schite, getting decent health care is nigh on impossible. Anyways, the nurse practitioner i got to see took an x-ray and said "nope, not gout. I can refer you to a podiatrist, but I don't know what they'll do there is nothing on the x-ray"

So I just had these damned random episodes where my foot would hurt so bad I could barely get a round for a few days, then it'd go away. I never could tie it to any particular reason or cause. Then awhile back I found out I'm allergic to a whole pile of different food. So I figured my swollen toe joints and and accompanying "discomfort" was a symptom of one of those allergies. But again, I haven't been able to tie it specifically to a food. Though peanuts are a possibility.

This last attack had me laid up for a day and a half seriously contemplating crazy things. So I hobbled my ass in to the dr., nobody had an opening so I went to the walk-in urgent care. The old lady nurse said yup it's gout, lets run a blood test to confirm. Yup, uric acid was really high. She asked how I've been treating it at home, and I said 4 ibeprofins every couple hours and I drink until i fall asleep or it quits hurting. smile She thought that was not the best way to go about it, and put me on prednisone and orders to set up a primary care dr. to help me figure out wtf. At least I live in an area now that has enough dr.'s that you can actually get to see one.

From the guys Iv'e talked to and research I've done it seems it is totally dependent on the that particular person's trigger. One guy I know has it set off by high fructose corn syrup, and venison. Other's it's alcohol. Some can have meat and booze but it's something else. Guess i'll find out eventually.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnDog
BGG,

Calm with the 12G. When my first attack happened I was in the ER lookin at my big toe - thought it might explode - was trying to decide if that was good or bad.

Can the beer for a while - and then like was said - go for the lighter stuff.

Also deep six the gravy, finally figured out that the attacks in November and December was the result of gravy from turkey drippings. But that was me.

And yep - lose the weight slowly. Causes the uric acid to go high.

Good Luck - John(Dog)

weights been coming off reeeaaaaalllll slow for a while now. lol But that is one thing that seems to be consistent in what I've read is don't be fat.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

[Linked Image]

Damn!

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Thanks all

Been mixing the concentrated tart cherry juice with wild turkey but should be mixing it with Pepto lol.

Was mighty close to putting the 12 gauge to my big toe.

If you have dry eye that will cure it.

Briefly.

Dan

PS: You have big toes?????

Thick and hairy.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gruff,

I don't know anything about gout but I will include you in my prayers this evening.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bcraig
When I have an attack of Gout I take Solaray celery seed extract capsules from the health food store.
I take 3, twice a day for a day or 2 max and it is gone !

https://www.walmart.com/c/ep/celery-seed-extract

I have used both the red bottle and the green bottle and while both work the green bottle seems to work best for me.

I'll pick some up, thanks!

MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.