Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Two recent occurances have me thinking about the similarities of the relationship you have with your spouse vs. your hunting partner.
<br>
<br>First, my hunting partner made a comment to me this fall that went something like this: "Except for my wife, I don't think I've experienced more happiness OR more pain with anyone else on this planet."
<br>
<br>The second was a conversation I was having this morning with a buddy who had a less than ideal hunt this year due to disagreements with his hunting partner.
<br>
<br>Maybe you need to hunt the mountains to understand my partners statement (especially the pain part [Linked Image] ). I'm not sure, but it is so VERY true in my case!
<br>
<br>I've hunted "once" with a lot of guys -- kind of like dating! Once you've found a good partner, it becomes a lot like a marriage. Plenty of give and take, etc., but with the obvious things missing (grin). It's also OK to cheat on your hunting partner from time to time [Linked Image] !
<br>
<br>From the sounds of it, my other friend is getting close to "divorce" with his partner of many years. Too bad and heart wrenching to go through. BTW, I'm not trying to make light of a "real" divorce, which (knock on wood) I've never experienced either.
<br>
<br>I've only missed hunting with my partner twice over the last 21 years and I sorely missed the companionship during those years. I'm blessed to have two happy relationships!
<br>
<br>Anyway, it's kinda corny, but I felt worth sharing!
<br>

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muley,
<br>
<br> I'm sure lots of us have been in your friends' shoes and can relate.
<br>It takes a very long time to put together a group of good, reliable hunting buddies you can trust in the woods. Even then, after time we all seem to change and it seems that partners that were once relialbe are mere liabilities in the field or a pain in the a$$ to be around in camp at times.
<br> When you do find a good hunting partner that you not only trust and rely on, but actually have fun hunting with, you should treasure the time together and value the insights he brings to your hunting and consequently, your life. Most hunting buddies, IMHO, are usually more than hunting buddies. They are usually involved in other parts of our lives.
<br>
<br>I'm lucky that my son and brother are my 2 most trusted and reliable hunting buddies and I enjoy spending the time in the hunting fields with them immensely as well as sharing duties in camp.
<br> As I get older I find I'm not willing to put up as much with the minor issues that I would have ignored earlier in my life. The time is just too precious to waste it on jerks anymore and I'm so set in my ways that I would rather hunt alone than compromise on my experiences these days. It really is kind of a "marriage" of sorts and demands a lot of the same sacrifices to make it work.
<br>Thank God I don't spend as much time with my hunting buddies as I do with my wife or I'd definitely be "single" all the time while hunting.[Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can understand this post all too well. A year and a half ago I moved from IN to UT for school. My wife made the trip but my hunting buddy didn't. When I'm in the hills here its just not the same.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I think as others have said it is hard to put togather a group to hunt with. I have added people to the list of people that I will no longer hunt with every year since I moved to Colorado. I am now down to hunting with family (son, son-in-law, cousin) and two very trusted friends that I know I can depend on. tom.

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Muley, I think you have been flirting with muleskinner too much.
<br>
<br>One time the wife and I were having a dicussion about recreational priorities. Mine were elk hunting first and my mules second.Somehow she turned it around to all priorities and I was in the dog house for not putting her first. So I try not to go into these philosophical discussions.
<br>
<br> I like to hunt by myself, mostly because other hunting partners can't stand me I suppose. Found one now that does, but it' probably a quirk.
<br>
<br>My mules don't talk back or complain, I get to do all the FUN type camp chores, and I get to hunt with someone with the same IQ as me.
<br>
<br>

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow Muley your post hit a nerve,
<br> My hunting partner has always been my dad. He got me started hunting and shooting when i was just a boy. Over the years i strayed off from time to time for short periods with other hunters but dad was always my " hunting partner". The last couple of years he has slowed down a lot and hunted less and less each year. He has sugar diabetes and it has gotten to where it has affected his walking quite a bit.This year for the first time ever he didnt hunt at all. I missed him a lot in fact hunting wasnt the same without him. I lost all of the fun and enjoyment , in fact i only hunted for a total of 2 days and that was because he wanted some venison. so i went out and shot the first legal buck i saw bigger than a spike horn and called it quits.
<br> What is strange is last year i hunted in excess of seventy days and couldnt get enough, most of it without him i am sure that by next year ill be back to normal , but i will still miss him being in the woods with me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For me its one and the same. My wife is my hunting partner, besides she cant say no if shes going along also. Otherwise I hunt alone. I had a real good hunting partner but I got sick of him cancelling the morning of the hunt or he agrees that he will go and not tell his wife then he cancels. I'll keep it the way it is right now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well so far I guess I am over the 7 year itch and the hump too. I used to wonder years ago if this or that was going to happen, but since then I have learned to
<br>Have NO FEAR........I Trust in the LORD! And Fear NOT SAID JESUS.
<br>
<br>I guess it helps if you marry a Republican also! There is always conversation in our toasty warm (sometimes HOT) home.

"The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear It's Self"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well MS, I have been lucky, all my life the hunting has been with my two older brothers and my dad and assorted friends, with the odd trip taken with just me and a friend.
<br>The only thing that has dampened it all is the death of one of my brothers in 95 just shy of his 42nd birthday, since then we don't go as much, managed two trips this year one of ten days and one with just my dad and I for a weekend hunt. I am finding everybody avoids most of the old haunts and the fact that he had been the real catalyst for everything we did kinda makes it harder to get motivated.
<br>So since then I try to make sure at least that dad and I get out as he is 79 and will one day not be there.
<br>So all in all like you say it is like a marriage, I wish mine was as good as my relationship with my hunting partners is.
<br>

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear you all too loud and clear Muley. This divorce is getting ugly. I have an opening for a new hunting partner. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flinch- I'm single!!! [Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flinch,
<br>
<br> You seem like a nice guy in your pictures, and anyone who can kill GPD's with a 25-284 must have some skills, but how about we just "go steady" for awhile? [Linked Image]- Sheister

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sheister, you two timin' slut...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Heehee, I always thought I should start up a hunting "dating" service for guys looking for quality hunting partners.
<br>
<br>Rick, what do you think? Should we start one here?
<br>
<br>Flinch, what do you say we date a little more? (grin)! I'm open to a LOT of hunting suggestions!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess in the same vein of things I have been and probably will be a bachelor of hunting. I have looked for some hunting partners but no one seems to fit the bill. Maybe I'm just too ornery to be put up with.
<br>
<br>I'd say that Lonerider is the best hunting partner I've been with and we have only hunted once but visited several times. Just wish I could find some one a bit closer. These long distance relationships are expensive!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hey fellas,
<br>Stop it!!! Yer killin me ! [Linked Image]
<br>best,
<br>bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muley,
<br>
<br> You know what they say- " the good ones are already taken". Sighhhhhhhh- [Linked Image]-
<br>
<br>How about this for a hunting date ad? -
<br>
<br>Wanted: hunting partner for annual hunting seasons. Must have own guns, hunting lease, vehicle, and tent or travel trailer. Landowner tags a real plus and I like imported beer in camp. Please send pictures of hunting lease and vehicle.
<br>PS- No inflatable "Chatty Cathy" dolls in camp, they clash with my inflatable "Barbie" companion. [Linked Image]
<br>Sheister

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Harrrr! Except it has to start "SWMDH seeks ..." or perhaps, "SWEH?"
<br>
<br>Any guesses? Shouldn't be too tough (grin).

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
With Spring coming up, maybe it should be SWBH?
<br>
<br>Of course, I already have a date or two lined up for spring (BIG grin)!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gee! Here I get all mooshy about what a great partner I have and then reveal what a slut I am [Linked Image] !!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 26 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.