Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I think I've settled on a build
I've kinda swayed from my original thoughts of doing a 260 or 7mm. I wish I had a long action. So going with what I have I'm going to build a 6mm competition match with a 24" fluted #2 contour 8 twist on the pierce titanum sitting in a McMillan edge stock with the nightforce 2.5-10x42. I love the 6mm caliber for its light recoil and bullet selection. I think it will fit my needs perfectly.
If I had a long action, the good ol 270 would probably get the go ahead or me wanting something different, the 270 Gibbs

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntinfool18
I'll be using it mainly for deer and antelope possibly elk. I just fill under gunned when I'm chasing elk if I don't have a magnum in my hands even though I've killed plenty with as small as a 243.
I'm also a speed freak , reasoning for the ackley

Build up a 6.5 SAUM.

M700 action, magnum boltface, mill the action for a Wyatt's extended box, put it in a blind-mag ultralight high quality stock of your choice. Maybe flute the bolt and replace the shroud/pin etc if you are REALLY gonna get geeky with it.

You'll have one in the chamber and two down, about the lightest recoil your gonna get for the drift ballistics, it'll feed slick as snot with the Wyatt's, etc. Brass can be bought from GAP.

Do you NEED to do this? No. A 7-08 MR would be just fine. Would it be "best"? Dare I say it................. YES! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one will do..it's my second one just like it. The first lasted about 30 years.Last year was its first hunting season.

It's one of those long action things. smile

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That'll work Bob! grin

[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rick we could hunt with each other's rifles......how'd that happen? smile

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hah, c'mon up! We'll find you a moose.

I can find some similar rifle you can make do with. wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I have a Montana w/ a slightly heavier contour barrel, finished at 23" and cahmbered in 7mm-08AI. Easy to shoot accurately, easy to load for. I am shooting shooting MOA or better to 500yds from supported field positions,. The rifle topped w/ a 3-9x42 SS SWFA weighs 7.0 pounds.

I strongly disagree with the whole AI "not being worth it" when having a new tube installed. I wouldn't go to the expense to rechamber a factory barrel, but it costs no more to AI a new barrel. An AI w/ a highly finished custom barrel and a tight chamber will achieve the same velocities w/ factory fodder as a facory non AI equivalent - my 7mm-08AI routinely gets printed velocity or a little higher w/ factory 7mm-08 ammunitiin.

While Ackley chambers don't provide a huge boost in performance, more is reliably more. My 7mm-08AI pushes 150grn Scenar L's at 29000+ fps with long brass life. Just starting to work up 145 LRX's but they are looking very promising. Not having to trim brass is a nice bonus.

David

I figure a .284, 150 gr. @ 29000 FPS, to be around 28000 ft lbs of Energy. Any issues with Recoil?

Sorry!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not opposed to long actions.... when there's a reason.

However the "ultimate light weight hunting rifle" will most assuredly be a short action. It's that whole "ultimate" thing.

Flame suit on! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I have a Montana w/ a slightly heavier contour barrel, finished at 23" and cahmbered in 7mm-08AI. Easy to shoot accurately, easy to load for. I am shooting shooting MOA or better to 500yds from supported field positions,. The rifle topped w/ a 3-9x42 SS SWFA weighs 7.0 pounds.

I strongly disagree with the whole AI "not being worth it" when having a new tube installed. I wouldn't go to the expense to rechamber a factory barrel, but it costs no more to AI a new barrel. An AI w/ a highly finished custom barrel and a tight chamber will achieve the same velocities w/ factory fodder as a facory non AI equivalent - my 7mm-08AI routinely gets printed velocity or a little higher w/ factory 7mm-08 ammunitiin.

While Ackley chambers don't provide a huge boost in performance, more is reliably more. My 7mm-08AI pushes 150grn Scenar L's at 29000+ fps with long brass life. Just starting to work up 145 LRX's but they are looking very promising. Not having to trim brass is a nice bonus.

David

I figure a .284, 150 gr. @ 29000 FPS, to be around 28000 ft lbs of Energy. Any issues with Recoil?

Sorry!

Yeah yeah, I had it coming!

150 Scenar L's at 2900 fps....

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

I built this .308 before Kimber put out the Montana or Rem the Ti.

It shoots lights out, but if I had to do it now I think I'd buy a Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor and call it good.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

However the "ultimate light weight hunting rifle" will most assuredly be a short action. It's that whole "ultimate" thing.

Flame suit on! grin

Phooey. Internet hyperbole.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
For me, the ultimate lightweight hunting rifles would be .270,7x57 and .30/06.

Not much that cannot be hunted with those three.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My idea of the ultimate lightweight hunting rifle at the moment is my .270 Ti.

Although I could be convinced BobinNH's pre64 270 with the Brown pounder may be the ultimate?

[Linked Image]

Then there is my G33/40 in 30-06, it comes in just a tad over 7lbs
with scope. I consider it to be at the upper end of a true lighweight.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Flame suit on! grin

Phooey. Internet hyperbole.

Bob, you and I put together our ultimate actual using hunting rifles. Jeff argues a theoretical concept.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Montana in 308 cut to 20 inches works for me.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What would a short action Pierce weigh in an edge with a 22" in a winchester ultralight contour? For one thing, you sacrifice beautiful wood for synthetic but it is lighter

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The present trend seems to be centered around short-action rifle and cartridges, and I've had my share of light rifles based on that theme. But the one I've had the longest, and killed the most big game with, is a NULA .30-06 that's now 20 years old--and would be one of the last I'd part with. Despite having a 24-inch #2 Douglas barrel it weighs six pounds on the nose with scope.

One of the great virtues of NULA's is they shoot a LOT of ammo well, and often to the same point of impact, one reason I've never permanently settled on one load. (The other is new bullets and powders over the last 20 years.) Another is that unless the scope goes bad, or somebody falls on it, they retain zero year after year, even when traveling from continent to continent. My wife's first NULA was a .270 Winchester with a #1 22" barrel, and for a decade she'd go to the range early each fall and shoot one round. It would land two inches high at 100 yards, never varying more than about a 1/4", and she'd go hunting. The scope finally died (the sometimes do on real lightweights) but that wasn't the fault of the rifle, and in that period it had not only hunted all over Montana but went on two caribou hunts involving several plane rides, plus bouncing around in boats, one on the Arctic Ocean.

Some people make a big deal about the lighter weight and shorter bolt throw of short action, but the .30-06 is a Model 24, which means the action weighs 24 ounces. The bolt throw is less than half an inch longer than that of a Model 20 NULA action.

I acquired this rifle back when I was traveling a lot more than today, one reason it's a .30-06: If anything happened to my ammo, some could be easily found, anywhere ammo is available on earth. If making the same choice today I might opt for a .308 Winchester, but maybe not One thing I've noticed is the .30-06 also works fine with what are essentially .308 loads, whether factory ammo or slightly reduced handloads.

All in all, however, the virtue of my NULA isn't the chambering but the overall consistency of NULA rifles. Eileen eventually replaced her .270 with another NULA, a Model 20 in .257 Roberts, not for lighter weight but due to less recoil. We went to the range the other day to check the zero before pronghorn season, and it put one shot in exactly the same place it has for several years.

There is no doubt that the NULA is an absolutely awesome lightweight rifle. I've truly enjoyed mine. I've had a few different calibers. My 30-06 is incredibly accurate, but I don't enjoy shooting it as much as the other, especially in a prone position. I'm not exactly carrying a lot of extra weight and my stiff handloads pack about as much punch as I can tolerate. I've been debating rebarrelling to something a bit tamer since I'm such a wus. For a lightweight carrying rifle, I wouldn't look any further.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe I should load down to the 308 velocities like you mentioned. Care to share your load data?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
What would a short action Pierce weigh in an edge with a 22" in a winchester ultralight contour? For one thing, you sacrifice beautiful wood for synthetic but it is lighter

If you go to Jon Beanlands website to the build section, check out build #15. Its pretty much what you just described and per the website it weighs 5 lbs.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by herschel34
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The present trend seems to be centered around short-action rifle and cartridges, and I've had my share of light rifles based on that theme. But the one I've had the longest, and killed the most big game with, is a NULA .30-06 that's now 20 years old--and would be one of the last I'd part with. Despite having a 24-inch #2 Douglas barrel it weighs six pounds on the nose with scope.

One of the great virtues of NULA's is they shoot a LOT of ammo well, and often to the same point of impact, one reason I've never permanently settled on one load. (The other is new bullets and powders over the last 20 years.) Another is that unless the scope goes bad, or somebody falls on it, they retain zero year after year, even when traveling from continent to continent. My wife's first NULA was a .270 Winchester with a #1 22" barrel, and for a decade she'd go to the range early each fall and shoot one round. It would land two inches high at 100 yards, never varying more than about a 1/4", and she'd go hunting. The scope finally died (the sometimes do on real lightweights) but that wasn't the fault of the rifle, and in that period it had not only hunted all over Montana but went on two caribou hunts involving several plane rides, plus bouncing around in boats, one on the Arctic Ocean.

Some people make a big deal about the lighter weight and shorter bolt throw of short action, but the .30-06 is a Model 24, which means the action weighs 24 ounces. The bolt throw is less than half an inch longer than that of a Model 20 NULA action.

I acquired this rifle back when I was traveling a lot more than today, one reason it's a .30-06: If anything happened to my ammo, some could be easily found, anywhere ammo is available on earth. If making the same choice today I might opt for a .308 Winchester, but maybe not One thing I've noticed is the .30-06 also works fine with what are essentially .308 loads, whether factory ammo or slightly reduced handloads.

All in all, however, the virtue of my NULA isn't the chambering but the overall consistency of NULA rifles. Eileen eventually replaced her .270 with another NULA, a Model 20 in .257 Roberts, not for lighter weight but due to less recoil. We went to the range the other day to check the zero before pronghorn season, and it put one shot in exactly the same place it has for several years.

There is no doubt that the NULA is an absolutely awesome lightweight rifle. I've truly enjoyed mine. I've had a few different calibers. My 30-06 is incredibly accurate, but I don't enjoy shooting it as much as the other, especially in a prone position. I'm not exactly carrying a lot of extra weight and my stiff handloads pack about as much punch as I can tolerate. I've been debating rebarrelling to something a bit tamer since I'm such a wus. For a lightweight carrying rifle, I wouldn't look any further.

That's the beauty of the 308... especially in a true lightweight, I notice the difference in recoil between it and the 30-06.

My "lightweights" (I consider a true lightweight sub 7lbs scoped, with sling and rounds) have all been Kimber MT's. What I've found is my enjoyment level peaks out at the 308 in the 84M and 270 in the 84L.

One of these days I'm going to rebarrel a Montana to a no.2 contour, in which case I'd consider them about the pinnacle of lightweight design. As it is, I consider the NULA with its no.2 about perfect.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.