Print Thread
Hop To
B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Went deer hunting yesterday and shot a nice 8 pt buck that fell so fast I didn't even see him go down, he just disappeared. I walked over to where I had last seen him and there he was streched out dead as King Tut. It dawned on me that everyone of the 6-7 deer ( not a big sample I know ) I've shot with that load all have been found within their own shadow. What is it about a patched round ball tooling along about 1800fps at the muzzle makes them so effective. My buddy's experience reflects mine.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd think it depends on where that bullet(ball) hit? Often it takes a CNS, spine, or head shot to drop a critter in it's tracks.

Other than that, I can't see a round ball at 1800 fps as anything magical. Maybe a cannonball would be?

That all said I don't get overly worked up about using the very latest in wonder-bullets. I still have a good amount of Interlocks, GameKings and similar on the shelf. Not that there's a thing wrong with using the very latest either.

Yep, your 'round ball' can kill a Griz, though most would admit there are many better choices for the job.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bet you are taking more time with perfect bullet placement with that muzzle loader.

B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't really disagree with you and am not supposing that the RB is really magic but it is interesting that both myself and my buddy have experienced the same coincidence, and with a variety of pullet placements from the cns to just plunking them thru the ribs with a double lung shot. I would say my CF rifle experience has been 5-10% DRT with most doing a 30yd death run, compared to 100% DRT for the PBR and I pretty much use the same bullet placement as conditions dictate regardless of what rifle Im shooting.

Last edited by bangeye; 10/16/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
54?

That works well for me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Placement

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years back, when I still shot round balls, I had many deer do the same thing.

Round balls look anemic on paper, but I think they may expend their energy in a bit different fashion. I don't think that I remember ever losing a deer, hit well with a round ball. I shot them with .54 and .58,both.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You probably have a larger frontal area than most centerfires used today. There is a lot more area with 45 or 50 cal than with 30cal. Also at the lower velocity of a ML you probably don't get many exit wounds so all of the energy of the ball is transferred to the animal.
I get a lot of DRT with monos but it is usually a neck shot or both front shoulders.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Actually my current rifle is a .50 renegade but I use to use a 54. Jonathan Browning. It really doesn't seem to be just bullet placement though I have shot a couple thru the neck with expected results but most have been just behind the shoulder in the heart lung area.. The only deer I have ever seen actually knocked down not just fall over from being shot was a good sized doe that I shot broadside thru the lungs right behind the shoulders at about 75 yds with a .54. She literally got knocked sideways and off her feet rolling her onto her back just like she had been hit by a car or something she kicked her feet in the air a couple of times and died. Contrary to Blacktailers question I have never recovered one they have all been pass thru.

Last edited by bangeye; 10/17/16.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I only ever recovered a round ball once, and that was after smashing through both shoulder blades (it juked as I shot, while aiming ahead of the shoulder at the spine). And that ball, as with all my deer kills with the .50 Hawken - an old Ithaca - was driven with 50 grains of FFFg. I push my current .45 balls with 60gr. FFFg, with similar results.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I will be the naysayer, we used to be required to use patched roundballs. Never recovered one, but the only drt I ever saw were head shot. Rib shot often went straight down then jumped up, running about 100 yards. 50 cal. .490 bullet with a .010 patch, 90 grains fffg. Sometimes the first blood on a higher ribs hot would be 100+ yards out, some would not have been found without snow to make decent tracking possible. And I do not claim to be a good tracker, always try to avoid that.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience mirrors that of Dillonbuck. For many years, PA required the patched round ball. I never used a .54. I shot a couple of deer with the .45 and probably a dozen with the .50. I used 80 grains in .45 and .90 in the fifty. I never lost a deer, but I spent lots of time looking for well shot animals. Only saving grace was snow cover in January.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Morning bangeye -

I hunted mzldrs for many years and I didn't get the. % of DRT you mention.

I'm not being critical at all... I've killed many more than 7-8 deer with a mzldr. I've also trailed deer shot w/PRB for friends.

MMV

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.