Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
DENVER - When the hundreds of students filed into the auditorium at South High School, they had no idea that they were about to meet a teenager regarded as one of the most influential people in the world.

"I'm here just to meet you and to speak to you and to hear from you," Malala Yousafzai said.

Commonly called Malala, the 19-year-old fought against the Taliban in Pakistan over the rights of girls to go to school.

"I was one of the students who were banned from education," Malala told the crowd.

She started a movement through a blog on a social media page of the BBC. Her father owned a school and they fought to educate girls instead of just leaving them for the sole duties of mother and wife.

In 2012, two masked gunmen boarded her school bus and tried to kill her by shooting her in the face.

"The terrorists, they tried all their best," Malala said to the assembly. "All their best they could do and they still have not stopped me. So, it means I am on the right path."

In 2014, Malala won the Nobel Peace Prize along with another children's rights activist. She was the youngest person to ever be named as a Nobel Laureate.

"They stopped this whole idea of women having freedom." Malala said. "It is women who need to decide what she wants to do and achieve in her life."

After the assembly, Malala met privately with refugee students from South High School. Senior Jeneba Belety fled Sierra Leone during a civil war. She says meeting Malala is life changing for her.

"Can you name any other big activist than Malala now?" Belety said. "And, the fact that she's around our age is inspiring."

Malala even joked with the students about being nervous about her college applications for next year. The students all insisted she had nothing to worry about considering what she's done so far.

"Whether it's standing up in a classroom and sharing your views; whether it's standing up in the gathering and showing your views," Malala said to the small group. "Sharing your views and understanding yourself, it's very important."

When Malala asked the assembly if they had any questions, Junior Viola Konneh ran up to the stage to ask if she would sign her book.

"She is showing us that girls can do anything that they want," Konneh said. "No one can stop them."

The civil rights leader from Pakistan is here with her non-profit, The Malala Foundation. She says she appreciates the warm greeting. She came to South High School because of its diverse population.

"This school is different in many ways and this is special in many ways," Malala said. "They give me so much love and like give standing ovation. Their clapping, their cheers in the crowd like that is inspiring and that gives you so much energy."

Copyright 2016 KUSA

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Next they'll be wanting to drive or demanding to vote.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, she is a very special lady in many, many ways... but the Nobel... well up to 2008... was supposed to recognize a lifetime work... not a match... and not a beauty contest or viral video sort of thing...

Maybe just sour grapes...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would imagine Malala despises liberals. I'm sure she knows how they undermined the progress that made her education possible. They're probably the reason she was shot in the head.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Next they'll be wanting to drive or demanding to vote.

PC or not that mad me laugh.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Al Gore in 2007 and Obama in 2009 did much to diminish the cache' of the Nobel peace prize.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Yassar Arafat was given a Nobel Peace Prize for being a terrorist and Hussein was given one for things he "might" do (and surely never did), that prize lost all meaning.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great young lady. Undeserving of the prize at this point in life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Al Gore in 2007 and Obama in 2009 did much to diminish the cache' of the Nobel peace prize.

Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
When Yassar Arafat was given a Nobel Peace Prize for being a terrorist and Hussein was given one for things he "might" do (and surely never did), that prize lost all meaning.

For the chilluns!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
An example of taking an extraordinary event and making it into a business. Almost everything now is run by handlers in the background for their own gain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.