-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You people need to order this; by the ton..

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There is a lot of ammo bought lately that needs justifying.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

My "tin foil" story....

Had a trainee with me one day who was from Angwin CA, which is some strange bastion for 7th Day Adventists. Needless to say, the boy had never been in the hood, or anyplace "different" in any way.

We get a call for I don't remember what. We show up and the guy who answers the door is no-chit wearing a tin foil hat. We go inside his apartment and his entire apartment is lined with tin foil, and his wife is wearing a tin foil hat and pretty much covered in tin foil.

Mr. Angwin CA starts to freak out a bit, while my partner and I are smiling. So I inform the trainee that this will be a fun call because we get to screw with the crazy people. And that was the day he learned that dealing with the tin foil people can be a lot of fun.

Of course he thought we were nuts. He did a couple more ride alongs with my partner and I and then I never saw him again. I guess he was just a little too sheltered, and decided that EMS wasn't right for him.

Tinfoils are fun in person, but not on internet forums.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 4ager
If SHTF, noise is one of my least concerns.

All depends on what you think "SHTF" is going to look like. I always think more along the lines of financial collapse, rather than the complete collapse of society.

How the Hell do you assume one without the other?
Look at examples around the world. In nations with larger middle class, when there is financial collapse crime goes sky high, but society doesn't completely collapse. Argentina in the early '90's is an example, and Venezuela is another example playing out now. Crime is going through the roof, but there are still police who WILL shoot you if they catch you walking through town with an AR-15 over your shoulder.

In areas where there is no middle class, then the meltdown tends to be complete. Mini civil wars break out and often it ends up where warlords run things locally. I don't see that as likely in the US if the SHTF. I see things being more like Argentina and Venezuela where a concealed handgun would be the handiest of all weapons to own and carry.

Where a middle class exists, society continues. People still need bread, milk, food, toilet paper, etc. The government is still functioning, and if you do any shooting, it WILL be investigated. Which is why a suppressor would be a handy thing to have. And even if the meltdown is complete and total, a quiet(er) weapon is always welcome to your ears.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Knowledge and the willingness to do what it takes to survive.

Go watch an old Mad Max flic to understand.

Preppers are only going to be useful for those who want what they have.

That might sound rough but don't be naive.
REALLY, your "model" is Mad Max? Good luck with that.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]
I'm already stocked up. Now I just have to study up on how to be a Mushroom Farmer for my Prepper Profession.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 10/27/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mad max and rocky were both what were called "breeder films". Neither was designed for the sequel or continuation of the story in mind. They were only for entertainment value to raise enough money to make a real film.
Apparently some people read too much into it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you carry a spare tire with your vehicle (and can actually change a tire).....you're a prepper.

If you carry a spare tire, tire plugs, and a 12V compressor....still a prepper.

Some folks are just more prepared than the blissful idiots.

[Linked Image]

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]
I'm already stocked up. Now I just have to study up on how to be a Mushroom Farmer for my Prepper Profession.

Well ....if you are able enough. At $470.75 for a single pound of dried mushrooms, it might be worth your time.....

(that is the current starting price, with competition, and a limited supply, it can go a lot higher.)

Last edited by kellory; 10/27/16.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I got a couple of funny stories about tin foil myself.

One involves an ice storm where a guy and his family were 100 + miles from the next town that had power and groceries and around that 15 hour mark of not being able to buy gasoline (or much anything else) he slept well knowing he had enough schit in his house to not worry.

If that makes him a "prepper" that makes everybody else a "dumb fugk."

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]

Well ....if you are able enough. At $470.75 for a single pound of dried mushrooms, it might be worth your time.....

(that is the current starting price, with competition, and a limited supply, it can go a lot higher.)
try 1500-2000 a lb for some types.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
stx,

Speaking of prepping...

I may have an opportunity to stab a hog with something other than my COCK this winter.

Trail Master?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 Travis. being a prepper simply means being self sufficient, or as any Boy Scout could tell you..."Be Prepared".
when a local ice storm knocked out power to most of the city for more than two weeks, it was my heaters and propane keeping four houses pipes from freezing. it was my generators supporting four neighbor's families. it was my food that kept folks fed. and yes, it was my tinfoil being used on my camp stoves for most of the cooking.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
stx,

Speaking of prepping...

I may have an opportunity to stab a hog with something other than my COCK this winter.

Trail Master?

Travis

....you should see my homebuilt pig rotisserie.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
thats what i use.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking of converting it to run off peltzer chips. That way, and long as the fire burns, it will spin due to heat energy. No fuel cost that way, no hours on the generator, and not dependant on sunlight for a solar panel.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You could always use an undocumented immigrant.

Probably cheaper long term.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
You could always use an undocumented immigrant.

Probably cheaper long term.

Travis

Naw, i lived in californcation for a number of years. I've seen the effects of illegal immigrants up close and personal. I would never assist in that form of trade. I've spoken with minutemen on our southern border as well. They do, what our government fails to do, at thier own cost and time.

Last edited by kellory; 10/27/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody running to the hills in my AO had better be ready for a 2-10 foot snowpack for about 6 months a year, high temperatures below freezing, and wind chills in the minus double digits. The big critters head south to Colorado ranches, so no easy pickings.

P.S. 99.9% of this is off the grid, including cellular.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10/27/16. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So, what is a safe and economical way to purify drinking water?

What brand of pool shock is still safe to use as chlorine?

Very good question. You want calcium hypoclorite (high strength bleach in powder form...pool shock) but stay away from the anti-sting red out, and other additives used for rust and other impurities. If it has a flocking agent . That's fine, as it grabs particles and drops them out as sediment.
You use a measured amount in a gallon of water to make the soup. (DO NOT DRINK IT AS IT IS CONCENTRATED BLEACH) Then use a measured amount of the soup to purify each gallon of water. It is safe, shelf stable, and a single pound bag will purify more water than your family can drink for many months. Liquid bleach starts breaking down immediately, and has an unknown strength when you need it. Meaning, it will be too strong or too weak to do the job correctly. Pool water test strips are a helpful guide as well, and both products usually go on clearance each year in September.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 26 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.