Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking for a small camper (16') to use for a vacation/hunting base camp when out of state.

Never owned a camper before. What should I be on the lookout for?

-Dustin

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
16' would not be a camper, but a travel trailer.

I'd look for an older, used one in good condition.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Self contained? How many people?
16' is pretty small if you plan to spend much time in it. For hunting, when you need a range of gear, storage is a major factor.
There are several main factors to consider: storage, water capacity (both fresh and waste), and counter space. It's a real pain trying to cook with 1 sq foot of counter space.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
At times it would be 2 adults and two small children. Other times just one or two adults. I think about the $$ we have spent on hotels and renting homes at times when we go out west and we could have bought a camper by now.

The more I look, 18' might be ok. I equate bigger to a bigger PITA.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look at floor plans. For some reason, trailers with rear doors seem to be more crowded inside. A mid or front door gives more options.
18 or even 20' will give you a lot more options. It will also have more water storage which you'll need with Mama and the kids along. A couple guys hunting can go a long time with just 10 gal of water but adding a wife and kids will quadruple that. There are ways to save a lot of water flushing the toilet rather than just holding it open.

― George Orwell

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
At times it would be 2 adults and two small children. Other times just one or two adults. I think about the $$ we have spent on hotels and renting homes at times when we go out west and we could have bought a camper by now.

The more I look, 18' might be ok. I equate bigger to a bigger PITA.

Not necessarily.
Some folks are better served by staying in motels imo. Not everyone is camper material.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
18' is going to still be minimal. If you run into bad weather, being that close is going to get old, quickly.

Not much difference between 16' and the 18' & 20' travel trailers except more beds, more storage, and room to stretch out which are all good things.

You might find a 16' single axle trailer and be OK with it, but you'll appreciate a double axle 18' or 20' a lot more.

Really, the only item that costs more on the larger two are tires as you will have four tires plus a spare on the 18" & 20' models.

You'll find that most 18'& 20' have dual propane tanks and 16' mostly have single tanks unless the previous owner upgraded. That will come in real handy when the weather turns snotty or you're out for a week or more.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
18'-20' is about right and can easily be towed behind a 1/2-ton pickup. Had an 18' Airstream that was about perfect.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You might find a 16' single axle trailer and be OK with it, but you'll appreciate a double axle 18' or 20' a lot more.
A tandem axle will ride a lot smoother on rough roads. Pulling a single axle on a washboard road will empty the cupboards and drawers besides jarring the thing apart.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a grey wolf 22BH (bunk house). The 'box' is 22' but the trailer from bumper to hitch nose is 25'11". I have towed it across the country and up and down the Rockies with a 2005 Chevy with the 5.3. It did OK with that setup but I now have a diesel truck. If I wasn't towing 5,000 miles per year I would have kept the 1/2 ton. A newer 1/2 ton with more power would likely handle it fine.

I camp with 4 in the trailer just fine. Any smaller and it would likely be an issue. I have a camper shell on the truck when I go on extended trips and that really helps with gear storage. The trailer is no big deal to tow, and gets into most of the tight spots just fine. I have 2 batteries and 2 propane tanks, and dual axels. I have lost a tire and wouldn't want to think about how that would have gone on a single axel trailer. Be sure to look at fresh and gray water tank sizes if you plan on doing an extended amount of dry camping.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I think "camper" I visualize a truck mounted camper. then there are travel trailers you pull. What are we talking about here?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Travel Trailer.

― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was buying, I would look for a pre-owned Airstream

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unless you do a lot of camping, a trailer won't save you any money over a motel. Its the convenience that makes the difference. All of your stuff is right there and you have cooking facilities. To us, it's WELL worth the hassle and expense to have home hanging behind the truck.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to be an arse, but buying a camper to save money, well, that doesn't fit with my experience as a camper owner of many years.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Golden Rule of campers/trailers is exactly the same as for tents: if it claims to "sleep six" it only LIVES one - two at most. And that's in good weather.

Look for twin propane tanks and twin batteries since you won't have hookups. A solar panel to keep the batteries charged would be very smart. Think twice about an installed toilet. They take up valuable room, offer almost no privacy, and smell. Better to have a privy tent with a stool-type toilet you can set up away from the camper. And bury the contents when you leave. Waste tanks are nasty to empty and clean out.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Staying in a motel is not camping. The reason to have a travel trailer is to enjoy the outdoor experience and to be right near the fishing or whatever.

Regarding the suggestion to have a trailer with no toilet, but to crap outdoors, WTF is wrong with you? smile If your RV toilet smells bad, fix the damned thing! This is a non-issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father in law did service work for Play-Mor trailers for over 25 years. The best advice he gave me on buying a used trailer was to look very closely at the roof and seams and if there were any signs of water intrusion, don't walk away, RUN.

CK
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
Staying in a motel is not camping. The reason to have a travel trailer is to enjoy the outdoor experience and to be right near the fishing or whatever.

Regarding the suggestion to have a trailer with no toilet, but to crap outdoors, WTF is wrong with you? smile If your RV toilet smells bad, fix the damned thing! This is a non-issue.
I fully agree. Taking a kid outside to pee at 3am isn't nearly as fun as it sounds. Also, many guys will need to do some improvising to get the wife to go. A self contained camper goes a long way toward that.

Smell? I installed one of these vent fans: Ventline VP-543 12V Smoke Van Roof Air Vent. It moves a lot of air and will clear out a bathroom quickly. I wired mine through a simple bathroom fan timer so I can set it and forget it.

Batteries: if you're close to needing new ones, find the nearest Interstate dealer and get 2 of their big 6V golf cart batteries. 2 of these will hold more juice than any 3 12V marine batteries. They're real workhorses. They're tall and need different boxes but those are only about $10 each. These aren't cheap but you won't regret spending it when you're still going strong after a week in the woods.

― George Orwell

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We are pretty happy with our small Lance. With the pop out there is ample room. Plenty of storage as well.

http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1575/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,677
Posts18,513,328
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.