Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Personally I don't see any disadvantage and only advantage if we are talking no price difference. I just had a guy tell me that he would be much more interested in a scope I was thinking of selling if it wasn't a SF(side focus).

Why can't you just set the SF on 150 yards and use it just like any other non adjustable parallax big game scope? If you don't like SF just leave it alone. If you want to use it for long or short range you have the option of eliminating some or most of the parallax error.

What am I missing?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Usually the depth of focus is longer on non-AP scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Personally I don't see any disadvantage and only advantage if we are talking no price difference. I just had a guy tell me that he would be much more interested in a scope I was thinking of selling if it wasn't a SF(side focus).

Why can't you just set the SF on 150 yards and use it just like any other non adjustable parallax big game scope? If you don't like SF just leave it alone. If you want to use it for long or short range you have the option of eliminating some or most of the parallax error.

What am I missing?

Nothing. I much prefer the convenience of the side focus. I set them and forget them in the vast majority of hunting. If there is lots of time then I have time to fiddle with it. Otherwise I set them for the longest range I might encounter that does not cause blurriness within fifty yards.

The depth of focus has been a non-issue for me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe the person thinks another moving part will make it less reliable or they don't really understand what it does. All of my current scopes have either an adjustable objective or side focus. I prefer it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There are three reasons which may or may not apply to your needs.
First is reduced depth of focus. This why Leupold makes three versions of it's 4.5-14X scopes. If you are a big game hunter, you need the depth of focus more than adjustable parallax. The AO scopes have more depth of focus than do the side focus scopes.
I know a few tactical/long range shooters who like this difference. Helps them read the wind half way to the target they say.
Second is a loss of low light performance due to the extra lense, etc. Not a big difference, but there is one.
Last is cost. Particularly with side focus scopes.
Actually, you can order Leupold scopes with the parallax for either 50 yds. or 400 yds. depending on your needs. Or, at least with some scopes, one can focus out some of the scope's parallax by using the ocular focus adjustment.
Last of all, parallax is not nearly as evident in the 4-6X scopes as it is in the 8-12X scopes. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 10/20/16.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

Second is a loss of low light performance due to the extra lense, etc. Not a big difference, but there is one.
E

That's an interesting theory. I have yet to have any scope here even match the Bushnell Leupold VX-6 4-24X52, 6500 4 1/2-30X50, and Swarovski z5 5-25X52 in low light performance; except a Nightforce 12-42X56 with adjustable objective. It also has better resolution than any of the above.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
S
Is it Depth of Focus or Depth of Field ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's Depth of Field.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
There are three reasons which may or may not apply to your needs.
First is reduced depth of focus. This why Leupold makes three versions of it's 4.5-14X scopes. If you are a big game hunter, you need the depth of focus more than adjustable parallax. The AO scopes have more depth of focus than do the side focus scopes.
I know a few tactical/long range shooters who like this difference. Helps them read the wind half way to the target they say.
Last is cost. Particularly with side focus scopes.
Actually, you can order Leupold scopes with the parallax for either 50 yds. or 400 yds. depending on your needs. Or, at least with some scopes, one can focus out some of the scope's parallax by using the ocular focus adjustment.
Last of all, parallax is not nearly as evident in the 4-6X scopes as it is in the 8-12X scopes. E

As O states Leupold does make 3 versions of the 4.5x14x scope and I own all 3, my latest the VX3i with no A/O or side focus.....it sucks (parallax issues at 14x)will be dumping it and getting either another A/O model or SF model, don't care as long as this one is gone !!!!!!!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Snyper
It's Depth of Field.

I've never picked up any scope and noticed that it had poor depth of field,AO or SF included. To me it's a non issue. I have on occasion though wished for an AO or SF.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,450
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.