Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Found an old Remington SxS with 28" tubes in the used gun rack. Fit me perfect, and seemed mechanically good.
Before I put some cash down I was wondering if anyone had experience with these Remingtons?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What are you calling old? 15 years ago Remington had some russian made Baikal shotguns with their trademark that were absolutely pieces of crap. Even the Remington reps at the trade shows were embarassed by them. Now 100 years ago they had one that was decent.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Allen917
What are you calling old? 15 years ago Remington had some russian made Baikal shotguns with their trademark that were absolutely pieces of crap. Even the Remington reps at the trade shows were embarassed by them. Now 100 years ago they had one that was decent.

Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well it sure isn't very new. Splinter fore end, fixed chokes, 2 3/4". It's at Cabela's but not listed in the gun library cause it isn't very high end, just a hunter.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Remington used to have a page on their website where you could see which models were made when and they had pictures of most of the models which helped a lot when I was trying to find info on an old Model 1889 10 gauge that I inherited. Best I can find now is this list:
https://support.remington.com/General_Information/Remington_Shotgun_Production_Dates

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
remington had both a 1894 and a 1900 hammerless double. not 100 percent on what the differences are between them. i have a 1900 that was handed down from my great great garndfather from when the family farmed. neat gun that is hell on pheasants

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The 1900 was sort of the "cost effective" gun...it was more of a hunter type "field" grade. The 1894 was the high end graded model. Although even the 1894 had a field grade {A}. The difference was the 1900 had a pull off forend and they were generally not made with automatic ejectors. The 1894 had better wood {English walnut} figured to match the grade, a push button to remove the forend and selective automatic ejectors. The 1900 had a flat rib, the 1894 had a "swamped" or concave shaped rib. The 1900 was available off the shelf in standard configurations. The 1894 was a bespoke gun that you had to be measured for at the dealer and it was made to order. 1900's were not engraved and had very plain straight grain, even though it was English walnut too. All 1900's had fluid steel barrels and can shoot modern ammo, many 1894's were fine damascus twist for black powder only.

Edit: I would add that neither of these shotguns were 2 3/4" chambers...back when they were made the standard 12 ga chamber was 2 5/8". However, many of these had their chamber lengthened to shoot modern ammo.

K
K
Just be careful if it is a Damascus steel gun or even if it is a fluid steel. Remember these guns are over 100 years old so they need to be treated as such instead of like a Stoeger SxS you buy at Dick's. As with any old gun get it check out by a qualified gunsmith prior to shooting.

One thing to think about concerning both steel types is ammo/shot type. What I mean is that SAAMI did not codify standard pressures until 1927 and today's standard came about in 1935. Long after these guns where made. Practically that means low pressure smokeless (black powder pressure level) or black powder loads. Wally world specials are not a good idea.

As for shot due to the steel as well as the fixed chokes stick with lead or a soft nontoxic like bismuth or Nice Shot. Hard shot like steel or Hevi Shot can damage the gun.

Specifically with Damascus guns, like the Rem. 1894 and some 1900s you want a gunsmith with is knowledgeable about Damascus guns to inspect it. They are potentially dangerous due to the the pattern welding process used to make them. Over the last 100 some odd years corrosion, even invisible corrosion possible could have weakened the welds holding the gun together. Which is why every reloading book says not to shoot them. You can but you can't just take some target loads and go shooting.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would also add that just because an unfired 2 3/4" modern shell chambers does not mean that the actual chamber has been lengthened. As long as the chambers are the correct length, the barrels ring true and are fluid steel I have never had any problems and shoot all modern ammo except, as suggested, never steel or hevi-shot. It is further suggested that you have lengthened forcing cones to further help with pressure reduction.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the comments. i will follow up on all these points if I pursue this shotgun!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.