Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is about condensation on the inner pane of a double pane window, or dew point

Who has installed Heat recovery exchangers and similar to combat this issue?

From this date and on, I'll have lots of condensation in the mornings, later on ice and mold will actually form if allowed to happen.

For years I've covered the windows with the 3m window kits, helps alot by keeping the vapor away from the glass with the big temp change that occurs in Wisconsin winters.

How many others in this climate have this problem, How did you deal with it?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got the same problem, but never found a solution

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I've got the same problem, but never found a solution

have you tried any of the exchange type units I mentioned?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The air is too dry around here to begin with. If I keep it dry enough that the windows don't sweat and freeze everybody gets nose bleeds and dry itchy skin. I think the real answer to my problem is wooden framed windows. They wouldn't conduct heat as bad. For me it's mostly the frames in the lower corners that freeze up.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Same problems here, with wooden windows. When it gets cold enough outside, you can't keep the humidity down low enough inside to prevent condensation without bleeding to death.

Wipe the sills down, let the ice build up when it's gonna be a long cold spell, and wait for spring.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
This is about condensation on the inner pane of a double pane window, or dew point

Who has installed Heat recovery exchangers and similar to combat this issue?

From this date and on, I'll have lots of condensation in the mornings, later on ice and mold will actually form if allowed to happen.

For years I've covered the windows with the 3m window kits, helps alot by keeping the vapor away from the glass with the big temp change that occurs in Wisconsin winters.

How many others in this climate have this problem, How did you deal with it?

American Aldis makes a product. We have it in our house. Seems to work fine.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Never heard of American Aldis. I will look into it. Anyway, I have an extremely airtight house and the wife takes long hot showers to make matters worse. I decided to put on storm windows to lessens heat loss and it cuts water and frost in half. I also open the window in the bathroom a bit for a while after showers. Seems like very little heat loss. This helps me but my house is damp. It is 60% humid right now inside. I just go around in the morning and wipe them off with a towel. I never put in an air exchanger. I think it was $1,500 . I can do about the same thing just cracking a window on a sunny winter day and turn an exhaust fan on on the other side of the house. This works to and you will notice your humidity go down.

Last edited by ihookem; 10/31/16.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can find nothing about "American Aldis",

but great reason for a bump.

who's using some form of heat recovery or heat exchange units?

Must be some HVAC dudes here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do very little HVAC anymore, but I know of what type system you're describing. Venmar is a brand I'm familiar with from many years ago.

I understand the need for ventilation like you need, but feel it's one of the great hoaxes perpetrated by the EPA and green energy. Houses are built so tight that they cannot breathe, resulting in moisture buildup, condensation on window panes and possibly, mold.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
No vent fan in the bathroom?

Originally Posted by ihookem
Never heard of American Aldis. I will look into it. Anyway, I have an extremely airtight house and the wife takes long hot showers to make matters worse. I decided to put on storm windows to lessens heat loss and it cuts water and frost in half. I also open the window in the bathroom a bit for a while after showers. Seems like very little heat loss. This helps me but my house is damp. It is 60% humid right now inside. I just go around in the morning and wipe them off with a towel. I never put in an air exchanger. I think it was $1,500 . I can do about the same thing just cracking a window on a sunny winter day and turn an exhaust fan on on the other side of the house. This works to and you will notice your humidity go down.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Every house has mold of some type, at some point. Thats a given. But is it bad mold or not, BUT this moisture is not a great thing.

Barndaminiums around here, as they are called, have the issue big time. Supposedly you make an intake duct and pipe it into the system, plenum somehwere... draws outside air into the mix.

I can't see that helping here, our humidity is so high to start with normally... but some claim it works.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I can find nothing about "American Aldis",

but great reason for a bump.

who's using some form of heat recovery or heat exchange units?

Must be some HVAC dudes here.

Sorry. I spelled it wrong.

Jordan

http://www.aldes.us/

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by ironbender
No vent fan in the bathroom?

Originally Posted by ihookem

You can use your vent fan in the bathroom. Just leave a window open on the other side of the house so it lets out the old air My house is so tight that if you dont crack a window, it is kind of like sucking the air out of a soda bottle.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lived in a place that had a Lifebreath HRV installed. It kept everything dry and there was a complete air exchange about every 2 hours.

Fresh air was piped in the BRs and living areas, and exhausted from the kitchen and bathroom. If the humidity levels increased inside, the fans would boost automatically to equalize with outside RH. There were also booster switches in the kitchen and bathrooms to increase air exchange.

It even worked at 40 below and colder.

Only one issue. If you have a combustible appliance such as a woodstove or free standing, vented heating appliance, you need to make sure the intake and exhaust are perfectly balanced or slightly overpressured.

Lifebreath HRV

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.