Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hamrick Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Anybody use their service for barrel installation? If you have what was your thoughts on quality and finish?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had them install a 338-06 stainless XX on a Remington action about 8 years ago. They did a good job, the rifle shoots 3/4" with most any load I have tried. As best as I can remember it only took about 3 weeks. They don't do any finishing, if you want it coated or blued you will have to send it to someone else after you get it back from Douglass.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
H
Hamrick Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to decide between Douglas and PAC-Nor.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have and will not do it again. Their prices on the website were not accurate at the time and they took me for a couple hundred more than advertised without batting and eye.

I like Douglas barrels a lot. I prefer to have them installed by IT&D.

For that money, in the future I will look to Pac-Nor. YMMV

Semper Fi

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never had a problem with Douglas.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Another vote for I T D. They only use Douglas and can do any metal work, bluing, etc. And charge way less than Douglas. If you dont want to change your stock they can exact copy the barrel contour and it will perfectly fit the stock

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've had Douglas install 3 barrels for me. No issues with any of them. First two were easily sub-MOA with me behind the trigger. The third I have not yet had time to do load development. For me, price was always consistent with what was posted on the website. Longest lead time was ~6 weeks.

An added benefit for me, Douglas is less than a 4 hour drive from my house. Two of the rifles, I dropped off the action in person. On both occasions, when discussing what I was after, Stan has recommended small tweaks that I have incorporated. They are good folks...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I've had Douglas install 3 barrels for me. No issues with any of them. First two were easily sub-MOA with me behind the trigger. The third I have not yet had time to do load development. For me, price was always consistent with what was posted on the website. Longest lead time was ~6 weeks.

An added benefit for me, Douglas is less than a 4 hour drive from my house. Two of the rifles, I dropped off the action in person. On both occasions, when discussing what I was after, Stan has recommended small tweaks that I have incorporated. They are good folks...

Stan is a great guy!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a long chambered Mauser factory Douglas 260 unused for cheap, $115.

What is wrong with it:
1) 10" twist
2) beautiful factory bluing in the bore causes Copper fouling fast.

What is good about it:
1) Shoots 100 gr Nos bal tip bullets great until fouled.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I got a long chambered Mauser factory Douglas 260 unused for cheap, $115.

What is wrong with it:
1) 10" twist
2) beautiful factory bluing in the bore causes Copper fouling fast.

What is good about it:
1) Shoots 100 gr Nos bal tip bullets great until fouled.

Clark, bluing ain't causing that.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Butch, I know a few things about scientific method, and I hold others to a higher standard than myself.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Clark, I don't understand your post. Yes I see copper in a barrel. I have many many blued rifles with the most of them with blue in the bore. They don't copper. Just JB it out and be done with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Clark, I don't understand your post. Yes I see copper in a barrel. I have many many blued rifles with the most of them with blue in the bore. They don't copper. Just JB it out and be done with it.

You could have said that you doubted the bluing caused the fast fouling.

I could have asked how much of the fast fouling do you think is attributed to the bluing.

We could has spoken like we understand science but did not really know much about the fouling at the level of controlled experiments validating equations. When you play by the rules, you have to admit you don't really know much. You want to guess, but you have hypothesis bias. That's a start. Then there is lots of work to formalize the hypotheses and get those hostile to it to replicate the data, etc. It costs a lot of money. I have yet to see ANY controlled studies on Copper fouling, let alone the effects of bluing. If you know anything for sure, please tell.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I do not understand your point. If I see a little copper I clean it and shoot. I've not had a problem with any unusual copper fouling. I don't know your rules or what they happen to be.
Not trying to be rude, I see no point in going further with this myself. Maybe the others find it interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I learned something from researching for my response to Butch.
It is common to plug the bore when bluing to prevent the bore from being blued.
But in hot bluing, they have to use a vented plug so expanding gas does not pop out the plug.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Clark, thanks so much. Your scientific research is just great. I've had blued rifles for 60 years only and didn't know that! Probably because mine do not copper foul. Could you research this and tell me why I'm so lucky?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Butch, I like you and did not want to go off on you, but when you said that I was wrong about Douglas bluing my bore sped up Copper fouling, I put my science hat on.

It seems that Carl Sagan made the Richard Feynman angry with talk of nuke tests causing global winter. So he made some videos on scientific method.
The greatest physicists alive today are using these videos to make fun of the big bang theory, inflation of the universe, the multiverse theory, and string theory.

Feynman:
From transcript:

"In general, we look for a new law by the following process. First, we guess it (audience laughter), no, don’t laugh, that’s really true.Then we compute the consequences of the guess, to see what, if this is right, if this law we guess is right, to see what it would imply and then we compare the computation results to nature, or we say compare to experiment or experience, compare it directly with observations to see if it works.

If it disagrees with experiment, it’s wrong. In that simple statement is the key to science. It doesn’t make any difference how beautiful your guess is, it doesn’t matter how smart you are who made the guess, or what his name is… If it disagrees with experiment, it’s wrong. That’s all there is to it.”

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Clark, I'm speaking of my experience only. I call it empirical data. You showed a picture of a (factory) or maybe custom blued barrel and said bluing is the cause. You then talk about scientific data to possibly prove your point. Could you point me to where you got your data? I can only speak of my rifles only.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did not say I had data, I just suggested you did not when you said I was wrong.

As an overpriced engineering consultant for decades, I was very careful not to contradict others.

Before I correct someone, I should get my ducks lined up:
1) Why would I want to correct them? [challenge them in corporate talk]
2) Can I back it up?

After the pitiful and long thread on science of barrel break in at snipers hide... the lack of ANY controlled experiments.... I could guess the landscape was bleak for Copper fouling data.
That thread was my insight that you could not back your challenge to my post.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Whatever, this is a bunch of Crap. You say my data is flawed because I haven't offered any evidence from Einstein to say Butch's barrels have no copper problems. Jeeez, if it is that important to you, do the research.
You know Clark, my best friend of over 55yrs and partner in our little business is an engineer as are many friends. They are chuckling over this thread as I am also.
I'll let you have the last comment as this has turned into a joke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.