Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cm9702 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Anyone have some good plans for an elevated box blind large enough for 2+ hunters? Looking to build something easy to get into for a senior hunter and a youth. Hoping for at least 8-10ft high.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For ideas, google 'deer blind', then click on images. There are hundreds of pics you can get a good idea of what you want. Many are simple enough that you don't really need much in the way of plans. Other's are quite elaborate and look more like summer homes.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As a senior, let me suggest a ladder with the rungs close together, our old knees don't like bending for giant steps especially when its cold.

Plan on putting some quiet carpet on the floor, youth seems to move around and fidget a lot.

Windows on all sides with curtains that can be closed to prevent the deer from seeing through. It is first class to have windows that can close. This can block the wind, and also is easier to kill the wasps. You can just close it up and bomb them.
Happy Hunting

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I highly recommend these brackets. There are cheaper ones available, but these are the best.

http://www.e-ztower.com/

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We build ours 4x6'. 2x6" frame for the floor with 2x4" braces under 3/4" plywood that has been sealed with very liberal doses of Thompson's or such. Sides can be made out of whatever. Everything else is to personal preference. Usually use a lot of scrap material to keep cost down.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Built this one 4X8, with stairs running straight down back side. Used the pre-stained T-111 for siding. 6X6's are 30" deep. But I was able to drive truck to location so I framed it on my carport and took the wall sections on truck and hoisted them up.

[Linked Image]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice looking stand there.

I'm looking to build a 5x8 this spring and may look into the stained T-111. Mine only needs to have the floor about 7' off the ground.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have used some Dillon blinds, 5 1/2 ftx 5 1/2 foot and put them up on platforms. Nice blinds, very weather resistant and glass windows.

http://www.dillonmanuf.com/hunting.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a few 4x6 Dillons on 6' towers and they are indeed very nice blinds. Low maintenance and solid.

I want something big enough for four people to hunt sometimes, hence the 5x8 size. I may even do 6x8. The spot where it will sit is basically an "L" junction of two pipelines, so as long as there is plenty of window length, a solidary hunter can sit in the front corner and cover both lanes comfortably. If having to hunt more than two directions, I can see anything bigger than 4x6 being a hassle for one guy hunting solo, even with a roller chair and carpet inside.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
We have a few 4x6 Dillons on 6' towers and they are indeed very nice blinds. Low maintenance and solid.

I want something big enough for four people to hunt sometimes, hence the 5x8 size. I may even do 6x8. The spot where it will sit is basically an "L" junction of two pipelines, so as long as there is plenty of window length, a solidary hunter can sit in the front corner and cover both lanes comfortably. If having to hunt more than two directions, I can see anything bigger than 4x6 being a hassle for one guy hunting solo, even with a roller chair and carpet inside.
I'm in much the same boat. I'm thinking of 4X8 for ease of sourcing and less cutting as I want one big enough for me and two young boys (6 and 9). We only really shoot in one direction so it shouldn't be too bad if solo. I could even get by with it one the ground, but may put it on 4' legs to get past the need to have orange on the blind.

Last edited by pointer; 11/07/16.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Build frame out of metal.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I build mine 4x6x8 tall. Most have no back windows. Door is on the side and I use a bench seat out of a van.
It will seat 3 adults, or 2 adults and 2 kids, makes for a comfortable long sit, and you can pick them up for under $50 at most junkyards.
Ive also seen people use the captain chairs from vans in shooting houses.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have done that too, just built short platforms, like 4-5 feet tall just to get a bit of elevation. In many places, that is just enough to improve the visibility. We have also mounted a couple of them on the old running gear from a wagon, gives it both some height and some mobility.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just built this one this fall and had my first sit in it last Saturday. 4' deep by 5'6" wide. Had an opportunity to get some free OSB scraps so I went with it. Two will be tight in it.

[Linked Image]

FJB & FJT
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Raeford
Built this one 4X8, with stairs running straight down back side. Used the pre-stained T-111 for siding. 6X6's are 30" deep. But I was able to drive truck to location so I framed it on my carport and took the wall sections on truck and hoisted them up.

[Linked Image]

That there is Dee LUX grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rmart30
I build mine 4x6x8 tall. Most have no back windows. Door is on the side and I use a bench seat out of a van.
It will seat 3 adults, or 2 adults and 2 kids, makes for a comfortable long sit, and you can pick them up for under $50 at most junkyards.
Ive also seen people use the captain chairs from vans in shooting houses.

Had a friend in Bama that worked for Norfolk Southern, I hunted a new stand one year and found an engineer chair in the stand grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Two will be tight in it.

Just for a second until she gets used to it.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Two will be tight in it.

Just for a second until she gets used to it.

If one is bent over the chair...... wink

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

[Linked Image]

That there is Dee LUX grin

Built specifically for the wife[she's gettin old], complete with sliding plexiglas a comfy office style stool and a heater.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We have very thick timber here at home, mostly pine plantation, and we also have a bunch of gas line ROWs. For that scenario box blinds work exceptionally well. They are really nice when it's rainy or cold out. I've built a bunch of box blinds and would suggest you go at least 5x5 for multiple hunters. I can hunt two people in a 4x4, but 5x5 is much more roomy. Wish I had some plans for you, but I always wing it on the fly as I used to be a Master Carpenter. My advise is to use a plan that only has lapping seams and also go with windows in tracks. I build mine tight to keep wasp and other critters out. It's also nice when it's really cold out. I can slide a window open with one hand while grabbing the rifle with the other.

Here's the latest two I built. Materials are 7/16 wafer board, treated 2x2s for frame, 2x4 to 2x8 for rest, treated 1/2" ply for flooring on tope of treated 2x4 joist, and tin for the roofs. I use my framing nailer for some, but galv screws seems to be better if I have the time to go that route.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.