Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I found a TC Impact with a decent trigger, and mounted a scope on it.Scope is high enough to work the hammer comfortably, and the rig shoulders and points well.

I also ran a couple of patches through the barrel and lubed the breech plug threads.

Had loads of advice from guys I work with. 777, Pyrodex pellets, BH209.

Barnes, TC, and Precision Rifle saboted bullets were all recommended by various guys.

I picked up some of Remington's 209 inline primers. Anyone used them? They are listed on the package as a 209 shotgun style primer. Same package says not to use them in shotgun shells?

At least 2 guys have told me not to expect to much from the rifle "until the barrel settles down". Deer season is in 2 weeks and I intend to hunt.

Any advice?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Got to call BS on the" barrel settling down" mine shot great right out of the box. If I can do 2" groups at 100 yards with 73 year old eyes and FO sights, there isn't anything wrong with the barrel.

Do not use the Remington ML 209 primers for BH209

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OK thanks...

I picked 777 pellets to start with as they are simple and supposed to be easy to clean.

Also chose the 200 gr TC bullet and the 250 precision rifle. Both on the recommends of different friends.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Feel free to recommend primers, powder and bullets. I have a lot of different stuff to choose from.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try 2 pellets under each brand of bullet and see what happens. Then, try 3.

If you're using T7, run a cleaning patch (with solution) after each shot, then a couple/three dry patches. That won't be a clean barrel, but it will be cleaner. That also let's you take the time to let the barrel cool a bit.

What would be acceptable enough accuracy for you for this season?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I personally wouldnt waste the 3rd pellet.

Also, the barrel settling down is for new rough bores IMO.

Which Precision rifle bullets did you get? I had 2 different bullets from PR, and while I liked them just fine mine were very nice soft lead. I woudltn want to push them at 3 pellet velocities and hit something up close. Actually, I did that twice, but thats another story.

I had 250 grain .40 caliber Qt polymer tips and something similar without the polymer tip. Both acuracte, flat shooting for a ML, and killed perfectly fine from 50 - 150 at 80-ish grain velocities. I'm a heart-lung guy. They arent should-shooting bullets IMO.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

300gr Harvester Scoprion PT Gold in the black crush rib sabot
BH 209 73.5grs weighed, 105gr by volume
CCI 209M or Fed 209A - do not use the Rem primers with BH209

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Go straight to BH209 and forget the pellets. I load from 100 to 110 grains by volume in different rifles. Harvester Crush Rib sabots with 260 PT Gold shoot great and perform well on deer. Use a magnum 209 primer and keep the flash channel clear.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Realistically, I'll kill deer as far as I can keep bullets on a 6" plate with a sapling rest. I should have a feel for what I can do with this rifle in a week or so.

The PR bullets I have are the .40QTs as well. They are pure lead with a plastic tip. guessing they are quite expansive.

Haven't noticed the harvester bullets at the places I frequent.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hodgdon claims that, for T7, cleaning can be done with water only. What solution do you recommend?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Nice little rifle. I'd use 2 pellets, and the Rem primers will be fine for those. No need for 3 pellets.
Be sure and swab between shots, T7 will produce a pronounced crud ring.
You can use water to clean, I use TC #13 bore cleaner in my rifles that don't use BH209. Works just fine. In any of my rifles w removable BP, I push a dry patch through the bore from the breech before I start cleaning. Knocks down the heavy fouling, then I clean from there.

Good luck with your new rifle smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used 777 in a sidelock, and dry-brushed the bore in front of the chamber between shots. Worked fine for a good many rounds. You can feel when the crud is clear.

Be sure to grease that breechplug well. Doesn't hurt to break it loose after a few shots and re-tighten it either to break the crust.

IMHO, the only reason to run heavy charges for deer is if accuracy is better, or if you plan longer shots. So far, my Knight has taken 5 deer, including a couple big bucks, with 80gr loads. All have been pass-thoughs, except the buck I took Saturday, that was hit head-on. Never found the bullet and fortunately, nothing messy was hit.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/06/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Hodgdon claims that, for T7, cleaning can be done with water only. What solution do you recommend?

Hell no!

My cleaning solution for all the stuff, including BP, is 1/3 Murphy's oil soap, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 91% isopropyl. Works great, no stink, and also cleans the Hell out of stainless kitchen sinks.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used to use 2 T7 pellets and moved to 3. I didn't really see any difference. 2 pellets is fine especially if you're using a lighter weight sabot.

As far as bullets go, I use 295 gr. Copper Power Belts. Hollow points and Ballistic Tips shoot about the same, so I mainly shoot HP, they're cheaper.

I can usually get 7 to 10 shots before I have to swab it out. But from a testing and accuracy standpoint, I would swab it out after every shot or two.

I use TC bore cleaner. It's water based, but I'm sure it'll clean it a lot better than plain water. Hoppes makes a bore cleaner that's not water based and works good too. Years ago when I used to shoot a musket with black powder, I used to put the barrel in the sink and pour hot soapy water down it, but there's better ways to do it no a days.

The difference between a regular 209 primer and a muzzle loader 209 primer, is that the ML version doesn't have as much "pop" to it. They say that a regular primer can push the load forward before ignition. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I've used both and didn't see any difference.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 4ager

Hell no!

My cleaning solution for all the stuff, including BP, is 1/3 Murphy's oil soap, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 91% isopropyl. Works great, no stink, and also cleans the Hell out of stainless kitchen sinks.

I'm gonna have to try this.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Windex works about as good as any commercial or home grown cleaner for BP, 777 or Pyrodex. BH209 instructions says to use a regular center fire rile cleaner like Hoppes,etc.

If using sabots or Powerbelts with the plastic skirt , it is advisable to clean with one of the plastic solvents on the market every once in awhile

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Windex works about as good as any commercial or home grown cleaner for BP, 777 or Pyrodex. BH209 instructions says to use a regular center fire rile cleaner like Hoppes,etc.

If using sabots or Powerbelts with the plastic skirt , it is advisable to clean with one of the plastic solvents on the market every once in awhile

I generally spray Windex down the barrels after cleaning and then patch dry. A little oil after that to keep things from rusting, and it's all good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by 4ager

Hell no!

I'm gonna have to try this.

Your wife will love what it does to the stainless kitchen sink.

Take the small parts out of the rifle (breechplug, etc.) and put in a small plastic jar. Pour this solution over it and let sit. Clean the rest of the rifle and whatever else you need to for a while. Take the parts out, boiling water over them to clean off, wipe down and you're good. The crud just comes right out and off.

Works GREAT for cleaning the crap out of multi-tools, too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For any water-based cleaning, Ballistol mixed 1-4 or 1-5 with water works well. Steel won't rust in a 1-10 Ballistol mix, so 1-4 is more better.

After wiping out with the solution, patch dry and then swab well with straight Ballistol. Any water solution you may have missed with the dry patches will mix with the straight stuff and protect your bore. This is how I kept my flintlock pristine after other methods came up short (in my hands, anyway).

The solution also makes a good patch lube at the range, helping to keep the bore clean between shots.

My head wouldn't explode if I found out that some of the commecial water-based cleaners were simply a version of the Ballistol mix. Sure look and feel similar.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/07/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At the range I use car windshield fluid with a pinch of Dawn dish washing liquid. It does not freeze. At home, Dawn and hot water with the occasional spray in foamy sabot remover. I guess that foamy stuff is good at removing plastic in the groves. I dry and use a barely damp patch of Remoil. I always use real black powder. If I am just using patch and ball, no plastic remover. I have a mini green light designed to be dropped in muzzle loader barrels. It really shows cleanliness and barrel quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,246
Posts18,504,631
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.