Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BWalker
Question for the OP. So you went to a high fence operation and you expected a real hunt?

No kidding. I stopped reading as soon as I got the high fence part. Like I give a crap what someones "hunting" experience was like in a pen. Call it shooting, harvesting, whatever, but don't complain it wasn't real hunting.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chamois
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I saved my pennies and went to NZ last year and killed a stag and a tahr. I had one day left, and decided to do a chamois hunt. Due to time constraints, I went for the helo hunt. At first when we were chasing them around the mountain I was thinking "this isn't for me" but decided to go for it anyhow, because it is a New Zealand thing...

Anyhow after spotting a good ram, I was dropped off and the pilot chased it towards me. I quickly learned that making a responsible shot at a chamois bouncing along on cliff faces was MUCH harder than it seems to be. I led him a bit too much and/or he turned just as I touched off a shot, taking the back of his head off.

Well, they decided to let me also shoot a ewe so I could have a serviceable cape. This time, I shot directly from a hovering helo with a scoped rifle. Again, this was MUCH harder than one would think, due to the vibrations and other distractions. I really bore down and made a great 80 or so yard shot. It was a great "shoot", if one wants to call it that, that was seriously one of my more proud achievements, once I had time to think about it.

My chamois is now mounted (ram's horns/ewe cape) on my wall and I am just as proud of the whole situation as my DIY Montana wilderness wolf, and some of the DIY elk and mule deer I have taken over the years.

If I can ever afford to go back to NZ, I wouldn't mind stalking a chamois that I spotted from the bottom (like I did with my tahr) so I can say I have done it both ways. Both techniques have their challenges, as I found out.

That is absolutely disgusting! mad mad mad

You made me puke! mad mad mad

If you want help puking, I got plenty of a foul tasting mule deer in the freezer.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Some of you folks are SO FORTUNATE to live in great places like Montana, Idaho, NM, etc and more importantly, HAVE THE TIME to invest in a wilderness hunt. We do not.

I live here in Iowa (am still working full time)....and managed two Wyoming archery hunts.....one Sept.3rd thru Sept.10th.....and the second Sept.17th thru Sept.24th.

We hunted the west side (Alpine), zone 89, with general tags. Hunted the Little Greys river area.

The area we hunted was 3.1 miles back (by the GPS). The least we walked in a day was 8.1 miles, the most was 11.6 miles.

Beautiful country........the second week the Aspens were doing their thing.

Didn't fill may tag, but experienced (3) 6 point bulls, a spiker, and 14 cows. The second week included a full moon, which seemed to affect things. A very nice 6 point winded me at 29 yards, brush made things not work out.

Took 2 of my sons on the first trip, my wife on the second.

Now, biting at the bit to get back out there for the rifle opener in a little over a week. Will take 2 sons on this adventure also.

It is a hoot, cannot get enough.

If we don't fill tags next trip, we'll likely do something over Thanksgiving......and zone 3 general cow season goes through Jan.31st.

Most would probably say I didn't really have the TIME to do it.

And, really no need for an UPGRADE. The general tags are perfect for my 'excuses' to get back out there.

The years we don't draw generals......the zone 7 cow tags are always a hoot.....during the archery season.

Not judging, just don't see a need for any upgrade.

did you get back out for the WY rifle hunt?

Some gorgeous country out where you were hunting

Im with antlers on this one

No animals were left to waste, good ethical shooting, great meat to bring home and money brought into local economy( jobs) please time spent outside with friends

Last edited by ribka; 11/06/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jerry: My only comment was addressing the fact, by your own admission that you jumped to conclusions. Hopefully, you've read the other thread, but I really grow weary of the "hunting purists" (if there is such a thing and there isn't), who inject their own "morality" into a bona-fide operation where WE were quite up front about it. I do quite a bit of hunting on my own here in the SE, WHEN TIME PERMITS and more often than not, come home empty handed. I'll not beat the dead horse again of describing my HUNT, and also my views on the OP, but to me IT WAS, and frankly, IDGAF what the "purists" say.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Truth be told, the only reason for the outrage expressed about this hunt is that none of the guys yelling and screaming have ever killed an elk as good as the ones these boys took on this trip, and they have never had a hunt where they enjoyed themselves as much as these guys did. Apparently butthurt coupled with a dose of envy really makes some guys miserable.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

jorgeI
I agree with you and I promise NONE of my post was regarding YOUR hunt.

IF, IF- the OP is a truthful report, I still feel repelled by how IT was carried out. I truly feel that way about hunting ANY game, whether in Co. Wyo. Montana, ARKANSAS or elsewhere.

I meant NO offense toward any other hunters OR hunts. I also DON'T sit on a Hi Horse and look down my nose at others. I object to calling 'what was described' as hunting. I would NOT participate in ANY hunt here at home that was carried out--like that was described. I haven't had time to finish this thread, but I WILL.

I hope you understand exactly what I've said now. There is/was no offense intended at all.

One other thing, I will NOT reply based solely on A OP. (that's not proper English) I will ALWAYS read further first.

Your Friend
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jwall,

I also DON'T sit on a Hi Horse and look down my nose at others. I object to calling 'what was described' as hunting.

do you see your contradiction?

I would NOT participate in ANY hunt here at home that was carried out--like that was described.

What the OP described is the same as deer drives in the South. Did you ever participate in one?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Truth be told, the only reason for the outrage expressed about this hunt is that none of the guys yelling and screaming have ever killed an elk as good as the ones these boys took on this trip, and they have never had a hunt where they enjoyed themselves as much as these guys did. Apparently butthurt coupled with a dose of envy really makes some guys miserable.

Your post is extremely laughable. For one the livestock on this ranch are bred for big antlers. All you have to do is open up your pocket book and you can buy any size elk you would like.

Here are a couple bulls I got lucky enough to hunt and kill. I think they are probably comparable, except for the fact these are wild bulls and not livestock.
[Linked Image]Untitled by dirtytough, on Flickr
[Linked Image]D Man and the bull by dirtytough, on Flickr

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
d a mn tuff, nice bulls!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That top bull is a beast!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd take the second one. He's already in the truck......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'd take the second one. He's already in the truck......

The wisdom of experience!

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
None taken. Glad you at least read through all the posts. Beautiful bulls there, sir. There's just no comparison to what you accomplished and the hunt I was on.

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/06/16.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
jwall,
do you see your contradiction?
I would NOT participate in ANY hunt here at home that was carried out--like that was described.

What the OP described is the same as deer drives in the South. Did you ever participate in one?

Absolutely NO contradiction. Not only have I not participated in a deer drive "LIKE THE ONE DESCRIBED", I've never SEEN one that REMOTELY resembled that.

We NEVER knew IF we would see A deer, much less a specific SIZED buck.

There is NO comparison.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

Broadmoor Canyon is no secret, anyone who wants to go there can book an elk of his choosing, be done with the shooting in a day or so and have plenty of time left over to smoke cigars and tell stories. And have his elk and horns all packaged nicely for a nominal extra fee. No need to even get your hands bloody.

I can't speak for the rest of these old yellers, but personally, if I wanted to pay someone for a bull I'd have done it already. And make no mistake, I'm not yelling or screaming, Jorge and his crew had a great time and that's what they came for. I like to tell stories as much as the next guy.

I just object to it being called hunting when the animals are raised in a pen and paid for according to horn size. And having a "guide" by my side for the primary purpose of making sure I didn't shoot a bull that I hadn't paid for.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reading comprehension and or fact interpretation to suit one's own narrative is about the only constant on this post.
1. There has been no clear or compelling evidence these animals were pen raised.
2. We saw plenty of bulls and yes the guide is there, in addition to knowing the area (about 8 square miles), is there to tell you the approximate size of whatever bull you see. The notion that some kind of "dial a horn" process is in effect is nonsense. If one runs into a 400 bull, you have the option to pass or take him.
3. I must be old, feeble and decrepit, for the amount of effort I put into climbing, descending pretty steep terrain at 7-8K altitude, taxed me to my limit.
4. My elk was shot at 330 or so yards, that is the closest we could get. If they were penned raised and used to human contact, I could have killed him with a knife, not to mention shooting him on the first day, then smoke cigars, drink whisky and abuse the wife for the rest of the time.

Maybe one day, when I have time and or live out west, I can devote a week or two and do a free range elk hunt (no wait, that won't work, because I'm old, feeble and decrepit.

I'm enjoying my elk meat BTW and as posted AD NAUSEA, IDGAF.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Reading comprehension and or fact interpretation to suit one's own narrative is about the only constant on this post.
1. There has been no clear or compelling evidence these animals were pen raised.
2. We saw plenty of bulls and yes the guide is there, in addition to knowing the area (about 8 square miles), is there to tell you the approximate size of whatever bull you see. The notion that some kind of "dial a horn" process is in effect is nonsense. If one runs into a 400 bull, you have the option to pass or take him.
3. I must be old, feeble and decrepit, for the amount of effort I put into climbing, descending pretty steep terrain at 7-8K altitude, taxed me to my limit.
4. My elk was shot at 330 or so yards, that is the closest we could get. If they were penned raised and used to human contact, I could have killed him with a knife, not to mention shooting him on the first day, then smoke cigars, drink whisky and abuse the wife for the rest of the time.

Maybe one day, when I have time and or live out west, I can devote a week or two and do a free range elk hunt (no wait, that won't work, because I'm old, feeble and decrepit.

I'm enjoying my elk meat BTW and as posted AD NAUSEA, IDGAF.

Yes jorge, reading comprehension is a bitch. Once again, I'm commenting on 201k's post and thread, not yours.

And yes, there is plenty of evidence that elk at the Boradmoor are raised in an enclosure at another location and trucked to the ranch. To say there is none is just burying your head in the sand.

And yes, I'm sure you can kill a 400 bull if you see it, and I'm sure your guide will tell you exactly how much that privilege will cost, before you pull the trigger. Just so there are no misunderstandings.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by specneeds
I am an admitted high fence bigot, paying for a guide or access is drastically different than a high fence put and take elk hunt. I've hunted pigs on a pay access ranch, Tejon, but it was 200,000 + acres and doesn't have a high fence. Since they have elk there that they charge up to $25K for i would guess the cowboys keep a close eye on them but can't keep them in if they really want to leave. The pig hunt had no guarantees and no captive breeding program that I'm aware of, although the mtn lion killing the ranch did years ago must have helped the numbers of pigs.

Back to analogies that Trump can't use anymore, dating the rich girl and buying expensive French or maybe Thai meals isn't the same as paying the lady of the evening .........that chance of failure is still very real no matter what dinner costs.

Paying outfitters and for taxidermy is fine with me, the wife of almost 30 years lets me hang a couple of elk and a pheasant in the front room and wants to go on safari one of these days.

Paying to hunt at a yellow tag in the ear high fence facility does seem a lot like a romantic transaction in a back alley to me.

This post pretty much sums up my opinion of game ranch hunts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No misunderstandings at all. I just wanted the facts out there. I did forget to add though, had I chosen, I could have shot one at 600 yards and more, but in my opinion, that's not hunting...

Lastly, there were MO TAGS on these elk.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I could have shot one at 600 yards and more......

Not without you or the elk brushing a fence.

Sort of like a long-range restrictor plate.

grin

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,055
Posts18,482,315
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.