Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Looking to pick up a pair of gaiters for a hunting to replace an old pair. It's been awhile since I looked at any of the new ones. Need some suggestions to cut through the bs and get a good pair.

GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kuiu gaiters are awesome!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used several and will say that I prefer my Kuiu gaiters to any I've used.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Haven't used the Kuiu gaiters, but I have not been impressed with their other products.

The Kenetrek gaiters are good, but not as good as "Sleeping Indian". Sleeping Indian gaiters are wool, and will run you $175 or so, but I sure have not regretted spending that money.

I will go through a pair of Kenetreks every other year or so, where my Sleeping Indian pair is over 20 years old. I had to replace one zipper on that pair, but the gaiters themselves haven't skipped a beat in those 20 years.

I like my Markhors too, but have not used them enough to get much of an opinion.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Outdoor Research.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My OR Crocs have been great, but these days my Kuiu gaiters get more play than the OR's...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been running Cabelas guide or something like that. They've been good but I tore a hole in them this year. I tend to only get 2-3 years from a pair. My next set will by Kuiu.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
OR crocodiles are tough as nails. But they a bit noisy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weird question, but I'm looking for gaiters that sandbars won't stick to. Would any of these work for that?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Haven't used the Kuiu gaiters, but I have not been impressed with their other products.

The Kenetrek gaiters are good, but not as good as "Sleeping Indian". Sleeping Indian gaiters are wool, and will run you $175 or so, but I sure have not regretted spending that money.

I will go through a pair of Kenetreks every other year or so, where my Sleeping Indian pair is over 20 years old. I had to replace one zipper on that pair, but the gaiters themselves haven't skipped a beat in those 20 years.

I like my Markhors too, but have not used them enough to get much of an opinion.

I'll have to check with my elk hunting partner to see what kind he uses. His also have a zipper on them and he's been using them for the last 12 years or so. I use Kenetrek and they are great, but use Velcro and I've had to repair the snap on one of them that is down near the toe of the boot. I don't mind the rubber band underneath the boot, but at first thought it might snag on every thing. That hasn't been the case, but I keep it cinched up tight. One thing I do not like about my Kenetreks is they seem to be a magnet for everything around here. They attract burrs, cheet grass, all kinds of little stickers that I never noticed before and can be a biotch to clean. The positives are they are extremely quiet, keep my legs dry 100% in the last 5 years I've used them, help to keep my feet more dry too. I've noticed a huge difference, especially when hunting in wet grass and snow. When my Kenetreks wear out (in another 5 years), I'll likely try the Kuiu or the kind my elk hunting partner uses. Those seem to be the ticket...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like my Kenetrek gaiters, but I have the black ones and they are not fuzzy like the camo ones so they don't attract every kind of little burr. I would steer away from the camo ones.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is one thing about my wool "sleeping indian" gaiters, as well as my kenetreks. They'll gather all kinds of beggar's lice and cockleburs.

Annoying as hell, but at least your feet and legs will be dry when you're picking them off.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Crocs are too short for my calves, I'm 6'3". I've been using the REI brand and they work just fine and don't cost a lot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

How quiet are the KUIU gaiters? I mean, is the outer cover Cordura nylon like the OR gaiters?

My 15 yo Cabela's GTX "Stealth Cloth" gaiters are starting to show their age, and it's getting time......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kuiu are quiet gaiters. They're not fleece quiet, but they're quiet. That's the complaint I have with my OR Crocs, they're noisy.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
That is one thing about my wool "sleeping indian" gaiters, as well as my kenetreks. They'll gather all kinds of beggar's lice and cockleburs.

Annoying as hell, but at least your feet and legs will be dry when you're picking them off.

That one made me laugh, but it's true...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Outdoor Research.

Travis

This, unless you are burdened with too much $.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Mountain Hardwear Ascent gaiters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

How quiet are the KUIU gaiters? I mean, is the outer cover Cordura nylon like the OR gaiters?

Extremely quiet. Outside of a laminated fleece, I've not tried anything quieter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have used OR Crocodiles for ice climbing, hunting, skiing, etc., for over thirty years and never had any complaints. I haven't used Kenetrek or Kuiu gaiters so have no frame of reference for comparison.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 55 invisible), 4,619 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,701
Posts18,534,699
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.