Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Is there any advantage of nickel plated brass vs just brass ? I was in Africa and they carried nickel plated cartridges.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

TOTAL Outsider here, but I have an opinion.

Nickel-plated brass feeds like quicksilver and it doesn't corrode in leather cartridge holders. Personally, I prefer it.

The naysayers will tell you that nickel-plated cases scratch the crap out of loading dies and do other deleterious things. I have never found that to be the case. A quick wipe of the cases will prevent that from happening, if it occurs at all (which I friggin' doubt).

Are the nickel-plated cases as case neck concentric as brass-brass cases??? YES. Measure the necks with a Sinclair MIC-4 Case Neck Guage and throw away those that vary more than .0015" and you will have no problem.

And, of course, the unasked question ... Can nickel-plated brass be fireformed to Improved??? Yep, with nary a problem.

Second unasked question ... can fireformed nickel-plated brass be FL-sized back to what my buddy, Johnny Barsness calls "normal" configuration??? Again, Yes and with no problems.

I have about sixty-pounds of .223 Ackley nickel-plated cases and I love 'em. And I use nickel-plated .280 Ackley Improved cases that are fireformed from .280 Normal Winchester-brand brass.

So, summing up: The nickel feeds like quicksilver and presents no problem in handloading. Essentially, that is your answer.

So now I happily go back to wherever I've been, but at least you have the answer to your question. And that can be nothing but a good thing.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the info. Did not know about the corrosion in cartridge holders.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by WildWest
Thanks for the info. Did not know about the corrosion in cartridge holders.

Thanks for asking the question, if only to bring Steve out of the woodwork.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper

TOTAL Outsider here, but I have an opinion.

Nickel-plated brass feeds like quicksilver and it doesn't corrode in leather cartridge holders. Personally, I prefer it.

The naysayers will tell you that nickel-plated cases scratch the crap out of loading dies and do other deleterious things. I have never found that to be the case. A quick wipe of the cases will prevent that from happening, if it occurs at all (which I friggin' doubt).

Are the nickel-plated cases as case neck concentric as brass-brass cases??? YES. Measure the necks with a Sinclair MIC-4 Case Neck Guage and throw away those that vary more than .0015" and you will have no problem.

And, of course, the unasked question ... Can nickel-plated brass be fireformed to Improved??? Yep, with nary a problem.

Second unasked question ... can fireformed nickel-plated brass be FL-sized back to what my buddy, Johnny Barsness calls "normal" configuration??? Again, Yes and with no problems.

I have tens of thousands of ,223 Ackley nickel-plated cases and I love 'em. And I use nickel-plated .280 Ackley Improved cases that are fireformed from .280 Normal Winchester-brand brass.

So, summing up: The nickel feeds like quicksilver and presents no problem in handloading. Essentially, that is your answer.

So now I happily go back to wherever I've been, but at least you have the answer to your question. And that can be nothing but a good thing.

God Bless,

Steve

I'd agree with all this. The only thing I would add is that nickel-plated brass can flake after a few loadings, and the flakes get into crevices that they're not wanted in. It also behaves a bit harder than standard brass, so despite annealing is more prone to shoulder/neck cracking than non-plated brass.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran a bunch of Federal nickel stuff recently. The primer pockets all opened up before anything flaked or cracked.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my nickel 300 Weatherby reformed to 340; great brass.

So too is Remington 308 reformed to 7mm-08.

I also like the WW nickel stuff in 44 Mag. I must say though, that RP nickel in 45 Colt is the splitting-est stuff I've seen in any iteration.

It does feed like slickety-snot though, and is much less inclined to go green in the ziplocks than is plain brass.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And that shiny stuff is much easier to find after it hits the ground.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I ran a bunch of Federal nickel stuff recently. The primer pockets all opened up before anything flaked or cracked.......

Yeah, IME it seems to depend on the lot and manufacturer. I've just noticed that it exhibits those two characteristics more often than non-plated brass.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Great information. Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My results have unfortunately been about 180 out from Dogzapper's...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nickle sizes a little hard and crack prematurely compared to plain even when annealed IME.

Good to see Steve posting!
Don't be a stranger.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran nickle R-P 30-06 brass for years, only stopped cause I couldnt find it anymore.

Never flaked.

Never scratched my dies.

No issues with neck cracking.

No issues with loading or accuracy.

I love Starline nickle pistol brass.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

'cuz you is from the contrary we call Alaska! wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nickel plated brass scratched my dies so I am no longer a user.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

'cuz you is from the contrary we call Alaska! wink

I am good with that! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like using my nickled brass for my hunting loads. I've never had any problems with them, but I do probably use them less because I do save them for hunting with a few exceptions.

Pistol brass however is used all the time when available with carbide dies. Some really old, well used cases will start flaking. Also Hoppes no. 9 or ammonia is not friendly to the nickel. Don't wash bags of nickeled brass in the dishwasher with dishwasher detergent. blush

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used it off and on for many years, in several calibers, without a problem of any sort.
Do like its capability to stay clean, ages well, and haven't seen any corrosion issues.
Used to wonder if it might create issues when fired, due to its "slipperyness", but that has been totally discounted.
I think dogzapper got it right.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nickle corrodes less. I prefer brass.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a 94 Winchester 30-30 that wouldn't reliably cycle with brass but it never hung up with nickle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (163bc, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,651
Posts18,533,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.