Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My 2011 450 Grizz cranked over a little slow the other day so in anticipation of the coming snow, already have the plow on, I'd like to replace it rather than be stuck on a cold morning with a dumber than usual look on my mug.

Go with the factory replacement unit or go aftermarket ???

Thanks guys, 284.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I bought a new Polaris ATV this spring. The very first thing I did was remove the factory battery and install an Odyssey battery. My old quad also has had an Odyssey battery for the past 7 years. It sits all through the Minnesota winter in the garage from November until May. I don't bother starting it nor to I have any kind of trickle charger on it. In the spring once the weather warms up I have plenty of juice to crank it the 2 to 3 minutes it takes to get it started again. An Odyssey battery is one of the few truly sealed batteries - you can mount them upside down if you like. The advantage of being seal is no off-gassing that causes the corrosive sulfur build up on terminals and battery compartments. I use Odyssey batteries in everything I own that you can start with a key. The Odyssey batteries in my truck are 8 years old and have over 100,000 miles of driving on them and I expect another 4 years life out of them. You'll pay more for an Odyssey Battery - and in the long run they're worth every penny.

In short, buy an Odyssey battery and you'll end all your battery problems for a very long time. Amazon should have what you need.

Last edited by walt501; 11/15/16.
35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I`ve had great luck with YUASA batteries.
I`ts most likely the OEM battery in your Yamaha.
https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM32...&sr=8-2&keywords=yuasa+ytx20l-bs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would go to Battery Mart for a 'Deka' Battery. I would also use a 'tender' at times.

http://www.batterymart.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by walt501
I bought a new Polaris ATV this spring. The very first thing I did was remove the factory battery and install an Odyssey battery. My old quad also has had an Odyssey battery for the past 7 years. It sits all through the Minnesota winter in the garage from November until May. I don't bother starting it nor to I have any kind of trickle charger on it. In the spring once the weather warms up I have plenty of juice to crank it the 2 to 3 minutes it takes to get it started again. An Odyssey battery is one of the few truly sealed batteries - you can mount them upside down if you like. The advantage of being seal is no off-gassing that causes the corrosive sulfur build up on terminals and battery compartments. I use Odyssey batteries in everything I own that you can start with a key. The Odyssey batteries in my truck are 8 years old and have over 100,000 miles of driving on them and I expect another 4 years life out of them. You'll pay more for an Odyssey Battery - and in the long run they're worth every penny.

In short, buy an Odyssey battery and you'll end all your battery problems for a very long time. Amazon should have what you need.

THIS. I just replaced an 11 year old odyssey in my Polaris Ranger (that was still cranking) with another Odyssey. The 11 year old one is now running my camp shower. The best battery made.

Last edited by Stan V; 11/15/16.

All American

All the time
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What ever you get get a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type Battery. they handle the punishment that an ATV hands out.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the factory battery in my 2007 polaris is still going strong.total waste of money to change out a new battery to something else.all atv manufactors say you should charge your atv battery no matter how much you use it.charging systems are just not that good on atv's.

Last edited by srwshooter; 11/15/16.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Do you use a battery maintainer? I use one of the Battery Tender brand maintainers and they work really well at keeping a battery charged without overcharging.

As for the battery itself, I will second the vote for the Yuasa battery. Have had very good luck with them.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
probably wont work with an atv because of space. But when i had to replace the battery in my ranger ( put a stick through the oem) i went a AGM car size battery. Had to modify the battery tray. Helps with winching and lightbars.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use a glass mat battery in my 04 Grizzly 660 and use a battery tender some too since it has a LCD display that is a battery drain.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Odyssey batteries are probably the best lead acid type battery you can buy. They are a lot better than the $400-$500 AGM batteries I put in airplanes made by Gill and Concorde. In spite of this, you will probably get great service sticking with a Yuasa battery too. I use Odyssey when I can but have to deal with 120 degree days in Phx.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the factory battery in my 2007 polaris is still going strong.total waste of money to change out a new battery to something else.all atv manufactors say you should charge your atv battery no matter how much you use it.charging systems are just not that good on atv's.

I just[last weekend] replaced the original battery on my 06 Rhino. I normally hooked it up about once a month for 24 hours to a trickle charger. Sure didn't expect to get 10 years out of it. O'Reilys was the only place locally that I could find an exact fit replacement.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Keep the battery. Change out the Polaris.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
What ever you get get a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type Battery. they handle the punishment that an ATV hands out.

AGM batteries!!! Cost a little more but worth it. Replaced my ATV and motorcycle batteries with auto parts store AGMs and get longer service, better starting, and better at holding a charge if not used frequently.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone

Keep the battery. Change out the Polaris.

Oh boy, 501Walt will be along shortly.... whistle

FJB & FJT
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I buy Interstate, I have had good luck with them.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by 12344mag

AGM batteries!!! Cost a little more but worth it. Replaced my ATV and motorcycle batteries with auto parts store AGMs and get longer service, better starting, and better at holding a charge if not used frequently.

This in SPADES!!!

I am on year 3 instead of replacing dang near every year. Auto Zone AGM motorcycle battery. I didn't have it on a charger for 6 months, and it cranked right up.AGM ALL THE WAY.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep a battery tender on a number of things....tractor I haul out hay with, Ford Ranger that I drive maybe every 2 weeks, 4-wheeler, and sometimes UTV in real cold weather. I am going to also put one on the little tractor as well. I have found that they extend battery life.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Word to the wise, Yuasa only has a 1 year warranty. I know because the 14 month old AGM Yuasa in my Grizz 450 just crapped the bed.

Replaced with I think the brand was Derbi that has a 3 year warranty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.