Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
So I wanted a light weight rifle for a while and didn't want to spend the money on a Montana since I mostly archery hunt so decided between the new Hunter and Savage 16 light weight. Looked at both and decided on the Hunter. Mounted low Tallys and a new VX3 3.5-10 and went to the range. FIrst time out I shot 12 shots with factory Hornady ammo at 50 yards to sight in. Initial thoughts were its a 2" gun at best and there was a lot of movement in the bolt. WHen the bolt is closed and safety on I can move the bolt up and down at least 1/4" inch. Can't do that on my Rem 700. I did let it cool between shots after shot 6.

Go home and clean the gun and went back to the range a few days later but this time at 100 yards. My buddy was with me this time. Took 3 shots with the same Hornady ammo to get zeroed better but again gun shooting at least 2" to 3". I also noticed it wouldn't grab all the shells after firing definitely not ejecting more like rolling out. I put a round in but didn't fire it. I had magazine out and the shell actually fell out the bottom where the magazine would go. SHooting from a lead sled so not sure it is me. Did check the scope was nice and tight.

There is definitely an issue with the bolt. I didn't buy a single shot and I am pretty sure I can't shoot a few shots quickly and have it eject them correctly. I did not call Kimber yet. Can there be anything assembled wrong on the bolt? I can't see how it could possibly be installed wrong in the gun. Could the slop in the bolt when the safety is on be the cause of the poor accuracy?

Thanks for any help. Oh yeah its a 7mm-08

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd call Kimber....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gotta yank to bolt to make them fly and I don't think the sled is your friend with a light rifle. Or any rifle in my opinion.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd put the rifle on "bags" and see what it can do. I'm not a fan on Leadsleds as mention above. Light rifles can be hard to shoot if your technique is not consistent.
I'd go to the range at least once or twice. You can call Kimber but they will have you send the rifle to them. If you think you have an issue with ejecting, I'd have a trusted local smith look at it first.
Some of your explanation is unclear, eg. the magazine was out & the cartridge fell out of the bottom. Yes that is where its going to go.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/20/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
First time I shot it I just used sand bags but didn't really hold the front of rifle. Just let it recoil. Tried the lead sled the 2nd time because I didn't get good results the first time.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well most hunting scenarios develop where you have both hands on the rifle.
I'd get a consistent hold developed and get comfortable with it. Chances are the trigger pull is around 4#'s, which is "lawyer approved". Optimum trigger weights for safety and accuracy hover around 2 3/4#'s - but only with the aid of a trigger scale.

Also rifles tend to respond nicely to a bedded action which some here can provide photos and explanation. "Brad" especially has a couple of excellent tutorials.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/20/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by huntabsarokee
First time I shot it I just used sand bags but didn't really hold the front of rifle. Just let it recoil. Tried the lead sled the 2nd time because I didn't get good results the first time.

There is your first and second problem when shooting a light wieght. Get it back on the bags, get a grip on the front of the stock, holding it as close to the way you would if you were shooting off hand. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised. I went through $120 worth of ammo on my Kimber before I figured it out. Sure felt dumb afterward. Good Luck!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Try all of the above before going to Kimber customer service, I'd only use them as an absolute last resort. Good luck with your gun, I hope you get it shooting.

Old70

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
OK thanks everybody. I did read here after my 1st shooting session about holding the rifle upfront when shooting off bags. This is why I brought out the lead sled the 2nd time shooting. I held the front firm and even my buddy watched the rifle and said it was not moving at all up front.

I was a little more miffed about the bolt movement. My buddy was shooting a Winchester featherweight with the same type of safety (at least compared to my Remington) as the Kimber and his bolt does not move up and down very much with the safety on just a little 1/16" wiggle up and down. On the Kimber I can move the bold handle up and down a miniumum of a 1/4" and I wasn't sure if that is typical. I even joked I couldn't use the gun still hunting because the bolt would rattle as I walked.

I need to go buy some more ammo to determine if it is ejecting the rounds sufficiently.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old70
Try all of the above before going to Kimber customer service, I'd only use them as an absolute last resort. Good luck with your gun, I hope you get it shooting.

Old70

^^^^
This

They are very cocky and proud of their firearms....even the ones that dont shoot well

Kimber CS could learn a lot from the reloading industry

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't think I buy the it's a light rifle so it's hard to shoot. Tikka T3 super lite is only 1/2 lb heavier and you can shoot em with one hand tied behind your back and put em in the same hole. Tikkas feed like a dream. Can't wiggle the bolt when it's locked in. Trigger is crisp and adjusts to 2 lbs with the turn of a screw. Costs the same as a Kimber Hunter.

Have no idea what Tikka customer service is like because I've never had to use it or heard from anyone who has.

Sounds to me like you bought the wrong rifle.

I wish you luck in getting the issues resolved.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 11/22/16.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I kind of agree with you about the weight of the rifle. It is 6.5 with scope and mounts so yes it is lighter but this is no Adirondack.

I think the ejecting issue was me. Never had a CRF and was loading manually from the top while shooting on the bench with some of the shots.

I am just hoping a little more break in will help. Definitely will reduce the trigger pull as soon as I get a scale. There is no creep but the pull is a little stiff at least compared to my Remington set at 2.5 by a Smith.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Couple things I would suggest are bedding the rifle and getting the trigger down. Might not be essential but will help.

The difference between a 7.5lb rifle and a 6.5lb rifle is significant. They are tougher to shoot. I don't do any magical holds or any of that stupid schit but there is no denying a lighter rifle is tougher to shoot than a heavier rifle.

Last but not least I'd stop cleaning the barrel. Let it foul and leave it fouled.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get at least 200 shots down the bore...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
The difference between a 7.5lb rifle and a 6.5lb rifle is significant. They are tougher to shoot. I don't do any magical holds or any of that stupid schit but there is no denying a lighter rifle is tougher to shoot than a heavier rifle.

As curator of Flave Precision, do you find it makes any difference how it gets to a heavier weight? That is, if one starts out at 5.5 lbs. then has 2 lbs. added atop the receiver, versus starting at 6.5 with 1 added for mounts and scope, will they have the same ease of shooting? Or does starting with a heavier barrel have more to do with it? Ignore anything to do with "neutral balance" if you would.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I really can't answer that question because my lightweight has always been topped with a lightweight.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Get at least 200 shots down the bore...

And then keep going.

300 +....
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a SWFA 10x on a Faux Ti and wasn't really a fan. Would have preferred more weight in the nose instead of the glass. Had that been a magnum contour I think I would have liked it better. Same goes for my T3 SL. Shoots great, but between the windage turret stuck in my wrist and the mag box hanging out (especially a 6 rounder) it sucks in hand. Overall weight is fine. I raised my bar to 8-1/2# so everything is pretty much an ultra light now.

Got a prescription for Phuqqitall and rifles are pretty easy now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 204guy, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 18,827 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,132
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.