Hop To
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Will kimber honor there gaurantee if I bought one of there rifles. Ive been reading a lot about 3" 100 yd groups and folks having to try to fix the problems without any company support. If thats true can that really be considered a gaurantee? Im pretty old school and honesty is very important to me when dealing with a company. Thanks

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
never buy a factory rifle without being ready to work on it to get 1 inch or better groups, regardless of their guarantee

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
3"? Where you been reading that?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Trystan
Will kimber honor there gaurantee if I bought one of there rifles. Ive been reading a lot about 3" 100 yd groups and folks having to try to fix the problems without any company support. If thats true can that really be considered a gaurantee? Im pretty old school and honesty is very important to me when dealing with a company. Thanks

Trystan

They will honor it 100%. Buy with confidence.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Kimber website
Kimber rifles are designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition.

"are designed to be capable of"

"highly skilled and qualified shooter"

No wiggle room there. grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That does not mean it will shoot 1" with every type of ammo out there, just means it will shoot 1" with what they used in it. You might have to try a few different loads to find what it likes. It is the same with all rifle manufacturers accuracy guarantees.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you want the best and cheapest 5 lb production rifle of the market then buy the Kimber Montana.

If you want a rifle guaranteed to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with little to no work on your part, buy a 7 lb Cooper Excalibur.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or buy the Montana and have PacNor rebarrel it if it doesn't shoot smile

I think the 1" guarantee is fairly new for Kimber, so try to get one of the new rifles. The older ones were definitely hit and miss on accuracy - some were fine, but my 7mm-08 needed a rebarrel. The .257 Roberts Classic Select I have seems good, though I have not shot it much.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also keep in mind that you can get away with a lot of sloppy shooting technique with a 9 pound rifle package that will ruin your accuracy with a ~6 pound rifle package.

David

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Also keep in mind that you can get away with a lot of sloppy shooting technique with a 9 pound rifle package that will ruin your accuracy with a ~6 pound rifle package.

David

I'm really not sure this is true at all although it gets repeated here all the time. A guy can either shoot or he can't.

Ive had quite a few Kimbers;those that delivered good accuracy I did nothing special, and those that shot like crap no matter what shooting technique I tried, did not help at all. They were simply poorly assembled rifles that needed work.

I've never seen anyone who can shoot be unable to get good accuracy from a light rifle. You can't get sloppy with either one and get good accuracy.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/29/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have two a 308 Montana and a 257 roberts select classic I am happy with. The poor old montana just shoots 3 of the cheap 150 grain WW powerpoints into about 1.5 sometimes 1 inch and I just don't care as it is a damn good hunting rifle. The select classic shoots better but I reload for it more. I am more than happy with both rifles and would not sell them. I had the classic 300WSM and wish I had not sold it, but again it burned a boat load of powder to do what I can do with a 308 win here.

If I am not mistaken they discontinued the Montana and you have to buy an accent something?? A 358Win Montana would be fun to own.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH

David

I'm really not sure this is true at all although it gets repeated here all the time. A guy can either shoot or he can't.

Ive had quite a few Kimbers;those that delivered good accuracy I did nothing special, and those that shot like crap no matter what shooting technique I tried, did not help at all. They were simply poorly assembled rifles that needed work.

I've never seen anyone who can shoot be unable to get good accuracy from a light rifle.

Congratulations Bob you're a savant.

There are people that "can't shoot" that can still get acceptable accuracy from a hunting rifle with some weight to it, that realize they have a lot of bad habits/poor trigger technique when they switch to a lighter rifle. I'm not advocating "special techniques", I'm saying if a persons fundamentals aren't sound it will magnify problems more when shooting a light rifle than when shooting a heavier rifle.

Certainly there are some problem rifles that need work. I believe that is a less common problem than shooters with poor fundamentals and lack of practice.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I've never seen anyone who can shoot be unable to get good accuracy from a light rifle. You can't get sloppy with either one and get good accuracy.

I see you edited your post while I was responding. That's idiotic, heavy rifles cover mistakes in technique more than lighter rifles. That's why there are weight limits in various shooting disciplines - the heavier the rifle, the easier it is to attain accuracy.

David

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Heavy barrels also dissipate heat better, which helps group size.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

David

I've never seen anyone who can shoot be unable to get good accuracy from a light rifle.

Congratulations Bob you're a savant.

David

I'm not at all convinced my shooting skills are exceptional,nor any more than average....certainly nothing special since I struggle just to keep up. So "savant" may not be a good description of me, whether you meant it n good faith or not. wink

If I can make a light rifle shoot I don't see why anyone else can't.

I agree with you on the technique thing but my exposure indicates if a guy sucks it doesn't matter what you hand him....he still sucks. smile

Put him in front of animal he gets worse....not better. I saw it happen last week.

There is no doubt the nut behind the butt is very important but I can't just dismiss a lot of sloppy rifle assembly and lay it at the feet of lousy shooters.

Which brings up a point.....if these light rifles are so hard to shoot why the hell are they so popular anyway? confused

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
cause us old farts with bad backs and Lumbago get winded with 20 pound snake boots, a 35 pound day pack and 20 pounds of hunting attire on our frame after hiking a city block. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Few seem to have much of a problem getting a Nula to shoot well. Must be a reason for it.

And Kimber seems to have found out the reason. Fewer threads on how to shoot the LW's are obvious.

Big kickers and a LW rifle change the rules some.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Which brings up a point.....if these light rifles are so hard to shoot why the hell are they so popular anyway? confused

Mine shoot, from the bench and in the hand. In the hand is something many don't try before condemning a LW.

Yesterday, according to the phone app, put on almost 6miles and 13,000 plus steps. Up, down and around some good hills. Pass the LW.

Some are want to comment losing 10lbs would make a difference. It wouldn't, if one is in reasonable shape. Nor do I try to find the heaviest boots in the store.

Addition: Sunday before the opener the Cous and I were busting water jugs at 300 leaning out the truck window. Him with a .300WM Ruger boat paddle that went perhaps 9lbs. Me with a Kimber 84 Montana .300Savage. Change? No way. smile

Last edited by battue; 11/29/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Few seem to have much of a problem getting a Nula to shoot well. Must be a reason for it.

Exactly. Because the NULA is a well assembled rifle that costs over $3500..... smile

OTOH the Kimber is a nice collection of quality parts that costs $1200 bucks and is frequently not so well put together. Maybe they are changing that.

I'm not dumping on it; I own one and have owned a bunch more . That's what you get for $1200 bucks!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And I had a new barrel put on the Kimber. It was just to much fun when it was a .338Fed. As a .338Fed it wasn't all that great off the bench, but it worked fine in the hand and out in the wood.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,954
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.