#116191 12/13/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a beautiful critter! Details!!!!!!!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I will say this for you, you are a man of few words.
<br>Nice moose, Congratulations. how about a story, like what caliber, was it a carbon barrel. where were you hunting. We need particulars man.[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Daaaaaanngg!!!!!
<br>
<br>That's a whopper...
<br>
<br>Tell me you got him with one of those hot 6mm's[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What a Bruiser and a great photo.
<br>
<br>Congrats..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Come on now Big Stick, you are not helping, you used to be the first to ask for details.
<br>So help us put the pressure on to find out more of the story.[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking he is busy and will spill his guts,when time allows.
<br>
<br>I anxiously await that commentary..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Not my moose. Jay Link shot him on the Kamchatka Peninsula. Hadn't seen it posted here, thought it would be appreciated. Got any speculation on scoring?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Outstanding picture! Don't ya just love that snow and those hills?
<br>
<br>Very nice rack on that animal too.

"The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear It's Self"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Mike ....
<br>
<br>That Moooooose looks tired !
<br>Is he takin a Snow-Nap ??
<br>
<br>He's legal, with 4 (port side) brow-tines and a spread over 50 inches (using the ole distance-between-the-eyeballs tape measure).
<br>From this angle, guessing a spread of 65-68" ?
<br>
<br>... Silver Bullet
<br>
<br>

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am pretty certain that is a new world record. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, maybe not a record, but it is in my book. You don't see them like that too often. Did he shoot it with a Barnes XLC and a .25-284? Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whollly cow. I want one.

Rolly
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The guy that forwarded the email to me this morning didn't have any more info. I did a quick search and found this link.
<br>http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy-gallery/mar-01-2002.cfm
<br>Looks like it's old news from last year. Still quite a bull.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That has got to be the best dead moose picture I've seen. Beautiful!
<br>
<br>Contrary to what one might reasonably expect, our NA moose appear to be more closely related to those in northern China, rather than those in Siberia. I'm going to a retirement dinner party tomorrow for a researcher who just finished his doctorial recently, just in time to retire. His thesis was a DNA study, and his conclusion was that our moose and those in northern China came from parent stock which crossed the land bridge from Asia, followed by a re-glaciation which eliminated moose throughout much of northern Siberia. When the glacier receeded, the population in Siberia was reestablished westward from European stocks, rather than northward again from Chineese stocks.
<br>
<br>Here is more- Moose were also eliminated in Alaska and northern Canada with the reglaciation. Meanwhile, the moose had moved southward and eastward in NA, spreading to the east coast. At some point, as the glaciers receeded, or maybe at their maximum southward extent, the eastern population was cut off, evolving into that subspecies. Somewhere in the west, another remnant was cut off, becoming the Shiras. As the glaciers receeded, they repopulated north, east, and west, filling in the now vacant areas. This NA diversification into subspecies is considered to be remarkably fast in ecological/geological terms.
<br>
<br>At the retirement party last night was a picture of Kris with one of the big bulls at the Research Center. The bull is semi-curled around Kris who is standing by his shoulder, peering curiously around Kris's right shoulder, with his (the bull's) head cocked about 45 degrees at the camera while Kris is leaning just slightly to his left to keep from getting conked on the top of the head by antlers. That bull had about the same spread, but maybe not quite the mass as the one above. Pretty cool.

Last edited by las; 12/15/02.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.