24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
It's a calling, much like our clergy or military. How could we begin to pay them what they are worth to our society?
<br>
<br>As always
<br>Spaulding

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sky, I'm off a little on the starting wage. It's 22,500 a year. I'm also a little low on the average for the district. Wifey follows such things, and says it's closer to 40,000. Probably right, as many of our districts teachers are older. Quite a few who teach my son taught me too.
<br>
<br>As I said, I know many teachers, and count several among my friends. I've got no problem with any. Most are caring people, who really look out for the kids. Several I kept in touch with after graduation and I enlisted. I'm not denying the good they do in society. Many I am thankful for and to. A couple have really helped my son with sports.
<br>
<br>Now I don't doubt the average household in Bedford County takes in 32,000 a year. I estimated 30,000, remember? But that's almost always both parents working. The average is no doubt pulled up a good bit by a few highly payed professionals in the area, and retired residents from D.C. or Baltimore. Lots of them around. That's speculation on my part though. But I can say there are lots more living in trailer parks than in nice houses.
<br>
<br>I will tell you that where I work is on the upper end of the area by a good bit. I'm making just over 22,000 a year. Less the last two, as we lost half our work force to a layoff last year, and had been shutdown about a third of the year. Same this year too. Out of that comes taxes, insurance, uniforms, ect, ect,.... You get the picture. Again, I'm better off than most. There are alot more that pay way less. If there was better managment, I'd be pretty happy, but there is alot of stress due to industrial grade stupidity. Ask Wifey. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>While you were checking out Bedford, did you come across the Bedford Gazzette? Todays headline announced another 750 local layoffs. Remember I said my plant layed off half the force last year? These are new layoffs. Also note that lots run out of un-employment bens between X-mas and New Years.
<br>
<br>Now, armed with this information, please go back and read the first line of my original post. There is alot of talk of a strike immediatley following the X-mas vacation. A neihgboring district in another county is already on strike. The money isn't setting me off. It's the idea of wanting more in this depressed area.
<br>
<br>Our teachers around here are payed very well, and being a rural district, don't face most of the problems of an inner city very often, if at all. 95% of the parents around here are good parents, who take an interest in their children. These aren't poor undernourished wafes that some would have us believe. Some of these post sound like they're written by Sarah Brady.
<br>
<br>This is quickly turning into a whizzing contest, so this is my last post on the subject. I know what these teachers are getting around here. I'm not saying they're rich, but they're WAY better off than the average family, even after paying "all those taxes". [Linked Image] Doesn't it seem kind of crass to ask for more when so many are losing their jobs?
<br>7mm
<br>

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm
<br>If you were worth more and thought you could get it, wouldn't you ask for it. I don't see how Christmas or the plight of other workers has anything to do with getting paid what your worth. I certainly demand to be paid what I am worth. I don't work for fun.
<br>
<br>If they are gettin such a good deal, the strikers will be replaced right away, so no worries.
<br>
<br>Also, the "average" teachers salaries almost always includes administration salaries. These people make far above the average teacher and including their salaries falsely elevates the average. I truely doubt that the actual class room teachers average 40,000. That would mean some are making well above that. It is very common for those opposed to teacher raises to include the higher paid administraters to prove they don't need it.
<br>
<br>The parents there may be as good as you think, but you would truely live in a rare place if so. Why, even some of the worst parents think they are good. I don't think you can truely understand what teachers put up with until you've been there. Thats why there is always such a stink about teachers getting raises. Most people think of them babysitting from 8 to 3 with summers and holidays off. They don't have a clue.
<br>
<br>Do doctors and lawyers and such in your area charge far lower than the going rate?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will never hold it against teachers for getting more compensation for what they do! In alot of cases, high school teachers, are some of the most influential people in youngs kids lives anymore. For me, I can never put a price on education, and that goes for those doing the educating. If they have it so well, how come others in the area aren't investing the 4-5yrs that they had to in college to be where they are? Also, not to knock where you live, but it doesn't seem like a really wealthy area, which is harder to attract teachers to! My aunt teaches in a poor area of IN and gets paid MORE from the state because she is willing to teach there. Hell, I remember what I was like in High School and wouldn't want to put up with a classroom full of me's and I wasn't even close to the worse kid in the class.
<br>
<br>IMO, teaching and nursing are too of the most underpaid and under-appreciated professions.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.