Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Troutnut
44 mag carbine or how about a 760/7600 carbine in 308 . Kinda hard to beat any of those in the brush.

The 760 in 308 is perfect for this application. Fast, accurate and handle great.

Here's mine ......

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Alot of talk about big bore crushers here. I've used a few myself over the years. A bunch of 12 gauge slug guns with a bunch of different full bore and saboted slugs. A Marlin .35, a Marlin .44 mag., a Remington 760 .30-06 with 180 gr. RN core lokts. And have found them largely irrelevant to success and of dubious increased effectiveness compared to smaller rounds. Meaning a hit through the lungs with a 12 gauge or a .44 or a .30-06 generally runs aways before it falls and with a shot through the shoulders, spine or head they drop right there. The results with a .30-30 or .243 are pretty much the same. The only advantage the bigger guns MAY provide is a better chance of a heavier blood trail and the ability to reach vitals with an azz shot, which is a shot I won't take anyway.. Neither of those advantages are carved in stone either, depending to a large extent on bullets used and location of hit.

This reminds me of the azz shot bear story.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Troutnut
44 mag carbine or how about a 760/7600 carbine in 308 . Kinda hard to beat any of those in the brush.

The 760 in 308 is perfect for this application. Fast, accurate and handle great.

Here's mine ......

[Linked Image]

That is very nice

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by zeissman
Sako 85 Black Bear .308
Kahles KX 2-7 4A
Shortened to 18" plus suppressor
Lapua cases, 150gr Lapua Megas, Fed LR Match, 45gr H4895
Capable of .5 MOA, or less, all day long
Great in the tight stuff although a little heavy for mountainous terrain.

[Linked Image]

That's an interesting set up you have there. Is that can threaded on or clamped somehow? It appears that you would have to run threads over the fluting unless it is some sort of reflex arrangement.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've never shot a deer that wasn't in "thick schit" My two biggest bucks were less than 10 yards away.

I've shot deer in the thick stuff with
.257R (2)
7x57 (1)
30-06 (tons)
.308 (tons)
.270 (1)
.280 (4-5)
.358W (1)
100gr Muzzy (tons)

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

I come to the conclusion the answer was a good 12 gauge pump with a magazine of 8 deer slugs in it...

How is that better than a rifle?

I'll take a .223 with one round over that ANY day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

I come to the conclusion the answer was a good 12 gauge pump with a magazine of 8 deer slugs in it...

How is that better than a rifle?

I'll take a .223 with one round over that ANY day.

X2! ...... Who takes 8 shots in thick stuff let alone any stuff?

I would never use a SG for deer hunting unless it was legally imposed on me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wasn't talking about taking 8 shots gentlemen... just because one uses a shotgun at times, doesn't mean they just fill the air with lead and hope to hit something...

evidently you boys haven't used a shotgun deer hunting in a swamp before...

on the other hand...

if I had to pick out a firearm for dedicated use as a close cover rig....I have been looking at Whittakers Web Site...

and that Howa Mini Action in a 6.5 Grendel is looking awfully good.... handloads and a good 1.5 to 4 or 5 Shot Gun scope on top...

Of course in the past, in those Northern Swamps... the good old 444 Marlin with a 2.5 power Weaver on top did pretty good at bringing "home the bacon", errr vinison....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I routinely hunt in thick stuff. Where I spent the past weekend was like deer hunting on Guadalcanal, only drier and colder. My guns of choice in that situation have barrels ranging from 20" to 24"- the longer barrels posing no handicap whatsoever IMO. What I cherish more than the gun being short and quick handling in the traditional sense are sights that line up the instant the gun is mounted. I definitely think a scope in that situation, when shots are measured in feet not yards, is a minor handicap. Heck, even though I'm an advocate of aperture rear sights, I feel an old fashioned English-style "express" sight is better- something with a wide shallow V, coupled with a big honking gold bead front sight. Certainly not a sighting arrangement conducive to making those bug hole groups off the bench we like to talk about, but when the target is the size of a dinner plate and you only have a second to get on it and shoot, who cares.

For me the ideal is an aperture rear sight with its slide easily removable in the field (and returnable to dead nuts zero when re-installing)- which eliminates most of them other than the Lyman 48- or a fold down tang sight, or quick detachable scope system. All of which can be gotten out of the way in order to use the backup express sights out on the barrel whenever one ventures into the thick stuff.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes it's amazingly easy to hit things out to 75 yards with slugs from a good pump shotgun and just a bead.
Try it and see if it works for you.

Last edited by night_owl; 11/30/16.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wasn't talking about taking 8 shots gentlemen... just because one uses a shotgun at times, doesn't mean they just fill the air with lead and hope to hit something...

The trouble with a SG is that your are limited to close range only, where a 308 (or similar) carbine will allow you to take a longer shot if it presents itself.

Think walking out of a thicket onto a powerline.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Paul, didn't have that opportunity or chance to walk out onto a power line when and where we hunted in Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin...

100 yds was pretty much a long shot unless you happen to be going around a lake and saw a deer on the opposite side... but shooting across a water way was illegal....so we didn't do that either...

I figured it was an idle brush gun as it was handy, carried a big slug, was quick handling...I loved my 870 when I was in a swamp...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Originally Posted by zeissman
Sako 85 Black Bear .308
Kahles KX 2-7 4A
Shortened to 18" plus suppressor
Lapua cases, 150gr Lapua Megas, Fed LR Match, 45gr H4895
Capable of .5 MOA, or less, all day long
Great in the tight stuff although a little heavy for mountainous terrain.

[Linked Image]

That's an interesting set up you have there. Is that can threaded on or clamped somehow? It appears that you would have to run threads over the fluting unless it is some sort of reflex arrangement.

The can is of the over barrel type made of alloy. It's 8" long of which 4" is rear of the muzzle. The threading is right near the muzzle itself. After removing 2" off the 20" barrel there was enough room to thread the muzzle end for the can before the fluting began. The barrel length including the can is 22" in length so still manageable in heavy cover.

This guy makes the suppressors and does a brilliant job.
http://www.dpt.co.nz/category.php?id_category=5

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
.444 Marlin

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by micro240
I am looking to add to my gun cabinet with a rifle that will be used for whitetail deer hunting at close range in thick cover. Think maximum of 75 meter shots and often at moving deer. The two I am considering the most are the Tikka Battue Lite and the Browning BLR. Caliber will be likely be 7mm-08 or 308 - both are offered in it.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have primarily been a bowhunter and am slowly transitioning into the rifle hunting world.

If you are an experienced bowhunter, you won't have a problem killing a deer with any firearm. Just get one that's easy to carry and shoots where you aim it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Evidently you don't know what you're talking about. Seriously? I've lived in MN or WI my entire life. Everything I've hunted is a swamp. Why do you think I've shot so many deer at 20yds and less? There is no situation where I would take a slug over a bullet unless the law called for it. ZERO!

Of course in the past, in those Northern Swamps... the good old 444 Marlin with a 2.5 power Weaver on top did pretty good at bringing "home the bacon", errr vinison....

Yes, much better than a slug.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hunted in a shotgun zone every year for over 20 years. Killed several dozen deer with about a half dozen different slug guns in both 12 and 20 gauge, some smoothbore and some fully rifled. There are no hunting conditions or methods for which I'd choose a slug gun over a rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are no hunting conditions or methods for which I'd choose a slug gun over a rifle.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hunted in a shotgun zone every year for over 20 years. Killed several dozen deer with about a half dozen different slug guns in both 12 and 20 gauge, some smoothbore and some fully rifled. There are no hunting conditions or methods for which I'd choose a slug gun over a rifle.

We agree!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,055
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.