Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I need some new waterproof hunting gloves that are thin enough to duck hunt with. By that I mean grab and clip longline decoys, operate a semi auto shotgun and be able to grab shells easily.

I'm not going to spend more than $50 for them since that's a guarantee they will get lost. I've used various gloves in the past with limited success. They're all fine until you start picking up decoys or grabbing downed birds and then the get wet. Lately I have given up and kept a couple cheap pairs of wool gloves in the blind bag and swapped out when they got wet. I see Cabelas has some of their dry-plus gloves on sale so that may be an option.

Is a waterproof thin glove out there or am I searching for a unicorn?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Let us know if you find such a thing. Best system I've found is separate glove (rubber, elbow length) for picking up decoys. As for downed birds, well I've got a helper for that and he doesn't mind getting wet. (See below.)

I got a pair at Gander Mountain a number of years ago that came pretty close and didn't cost too much, don't know if they still carry them. They were pretty cheap and outlasted by far a pretty not cheap pair of some wonder gloves I tried about that time.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
best I have come up with was a pair of high cuff black rubber gloves from Ace Hardware. I stuff these into some Bass Pro camo gloves when not doing anything wet.

Sam......

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
We normally use the elbow length rubber gloves as well. Just a pain to keep taking them on and off. All this modern technology and we can't make a flexible waterproof glove....

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They are called rubber gloves. Get good ones. Chunk them as they wear out. They make good glove liners. The gloves mechanics wear are good.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

Is a waterproof thin glove out there or am I searching for a unicorn?

Unicorn.

Try Mechanix under rubber gloves from the hardware store.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to think that a pair of thin, uninsulated Gore-tex gloves would be ideal for hunting in wet, moderately cold weather. I've tried 2 different pairs and I was very wrong. The problem is that with damp hands, you can't take them off without the inside layer inverting as you pull your fingers out. Then you have to push them back in with a stick or something before you can put them back on.

Go to a hardware store and look at gloves for handling chemicals. They have high cuffs, are totally water/chemical proof, and are heavy enough to last for many years. Under $20 usually.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used the rubber gloves from a trapping supply place. They aren't warm but dry hands warm up a lot faster than wet ones.

Why couldn't you use dishwashing gloves other than the color? They are thin and molded, could even be used inside a neoprene glove maybe?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why couldn't you use dishwashing gloves other than the color? They are thin and molded, could even be used inside a neoprene glove maybe?
Playtex handsaver gloves are sold in every grocery store for about $2. They're heavier than most disposable gloves and have high cuffs. They're the only ones I've found that come in XL.
I carry them all the time for dressing big game. As long as I don't nick them with the knife, they're good for 2 or 3 animals. The standard color is yellow but you can find them online in pink.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tried those gloves but went to heavier rubber gloves. Surgical type rubber gloves aren't durable enough.

LOL
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Neoprene is too thick and sucks for shooting. Dish gloves provide no insulation. The best solution so far sounds like nitrile gloves under a regular pair of rag wool gloves.

The Seirus Xtreme gloves get good reviews.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yes, cheap, throw away when you are done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kast gear makes good fishing gloves. https://www.kastgear.com/

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickyD
Those look like they could be very useful but they don't come in XL. I haven't found L gloves yet that I can get my hands in.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a pair of Sitka Gear Gore-Tex gloves at Cabela's, thin and waterproof, I think they were $129. Good luck.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Knit gloves and hand warmers are all I ever used while hunting. Decoy retrieval and I go to long, seamless trapper gloves. JME

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear the cheap mechanics rubber gloves under regular fleece hunting gloves. Even when the fleece gets wet your hands stay warm. Works in cold weather as well as the rubber makes a good barrier and holds the heat in.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure would like to find a do it all duck hunting glove. Until that happens here's what I use for decoy gloves in December ice water hunts:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Weat...19029&sr=8-7&keywords=pvc+gloves

My hands do get cold pulling a lot of frozen decoys, but they stay dry. It's much easier to warm them up if they are not wet.

I wear shooting mittens for the shooting part.

405wcf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neoprene is a good option and you could wear a thin pair of cotton or wool gloves underneath for warmth.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=neoprene+gloves&go=Submit&qs=bs&form=QBLH&scope=web

Nitrile is another good material with lots of options

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nitril...ch&qs=ds&form=QBRE&scope=web

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 8 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.