Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used to buy a lot of the cheap 3 packs at Costco that use 3 AAA's each and are about 200 lumen. Seems like they always shut off right when I need them and I have to shake them to get them going again. I've tried some of the AA and AAA mini mag LEDs and they are pretty good until a battery swells in one. There is no way to get them out. I'll watch this thread because I'm still searching for the right little light.

I did get a nice 2 pack of headlamps from Costco the other day. I don't recall the brand but they have one bright main led with an adjustable beam and 2 little red ones. They work great and aren't too bulky. $25 for 2

Bb

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Surefire L4 digital. Great flashlight.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Agree, I just picked one up....I also picked up a Bushnell Headlight 300 lumens!!!! This thing is bright and rechargeable....
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Walmart Ozark Trail

For the $$$ they can't be beat

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy flashlights all the time for the car, my friends, and my wife hoards them for some reason. They generally get black friday specials from Lowes or Home Depot. I get AA or D cells. I don't buy the dollar ones, they generally have multiple inefficient "seconds" LEDs that chew up batteries.
For hunting I have 3 Fenix that I use. A LD01, now made as LD02, single AAA battery that weighs nothing and it clips to my hat. Only runs a few hours, but I always have it on me because it is so light weight.
Next light is a Fenix LD10, now a LD12. Single AA battery, and probably weighs 3X the LD01. Heavy to clip on a hat, but the battery lasts 2-3X longer than the AAA.
Fenix LD20, now a LD22, 2 AA batteries so it last a lot longer. Still compact, but I generally don't need the weight.
I don't like C cells, or those 3 volt batteries, or flash lights that take a tone of AAA or AA.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to pref. Surefire but I got tired of buying the special batteries, and the LED's are so bright I don't think I need CR123 battery lights anymore.

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have used the cheap ozarks from wally world and energizers headlamps for a long time and they always quit when I need them. Once a year I was replacing an el-cheapo $20 headlamp. I picked up a Petzl on a recommendation of a friend. I will never buy another cheap headlamp the petzel is way brighter though there we some simialr lumen ratings.

So I am a Petzl guy now. If you want something good for out in the woods skip the cheap headlamps and get something more reliable.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is the most useful flashlight I have ever owned, Streamlight Protec 1L it stays in my front pocket. Its small enough for the pocket and bright enough to do get the job done and with a low setting to save battery when the hi setting is not needed.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have a full size Mag Lite that has an LED.

I have not put batteries in it for 6 years.

Love my Maglite

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

LEDed these vintage ray o vacs, made them into really cool usable lights, the grandkids use them to find frogs and camping. Just change the bulb, batteries have last a few years now.

Kent

Did you buy a kit or just buy an led and put it in?
I thought they need a resistor to work.

I just replaced the bulb with some I got from ACE or Home depot.

Kent

Thank you.

Retired cat herder.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
For about any application I've found that 2 of the Cyclops clip ons (to the bill of a cap), together, about covers it all from tracking to in and out of the woods. Also works well in a boat coming back to the camp after dark. ~ 14$ for the pair. Each has 2 batteries and 4 bright led's. Hands free and always on point.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TTT

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
More than happy with the Maglites. Focusing potential is a big plus.

1Minute
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.