-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 42 43
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You just think you've seen brush/cover.................

That may be an assumption....recognizing you have some of same up there too...alder thickets or some such(?) and a fair smattering of open country evidenced by more than a few of your hunting tales and pics. For clarification, as it is often misunderstood terminology in other regions and dialects, "still hunting" does not mean sitting on your azz....down here. It is the stalk hunt that may cover as much as 300 yards in a half day if you're in a hurry...not jesting about distance either, generally hunting with rifles though a shotgun would be more appropriate in truth...buck shot would be an aid in trying to bag something after loading same. I'd be happy to provide board should you wander down this way to test the waters such as they are. I do suspect it's a little different, and am willing to respect your position on the matter. I do not hunt hoofed creatures with partners BTW, 'tis a solitary thing, the still hunt. Long barrels minimize the probability of shooting one's foot, but they are prone to striking limbs on the swing....it's the devil's choice.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I grew up in Florida and I can tell you that Florida doesn't have bush like this, not even close.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mark
A story I probably told in the linked thread on this subject bears repeating, especially to guides. Had a client that refused to hunt with an empty chamber. I told him fine, but I look down the barrel one time and he plays by my rules. Took minutes before I shoved his hot tube out of my face and told him to unload.

He refused and demanded another chance. I was younger then and complied. Minutes later I shoved his barrel away and told him we were done. Went up to the strip and placed a pick-up sign. When the guide showed up I explained the situation and told him we were not compatible and I would not guide him.

Guide explained things to the guy and asked him to do it my way for his benefit. He ended up shooting a black bear, moose and caribou with me... With an empty tube. He stiffed me on a tip and there was plenty o' tension.

A year plus later I received a letter from the guy with a very generous tip. In the letter he explained how he had always done things and how he had always practiced "perfect muzzle control." How he was in control and knew EXACTLY what was going down all the time.

When he got home he went back to his old ways but had been given a wake-up and started watching those around him. he said it took quite a while before he really got scared and realized what he was really doing. He said watching one of his boys with a hot tube bent over looking for blood with his other son standing over a hot tube was what did it for him.

He said he still thinks I am a prick for the way I handled his delicate feelers, but thanked me just the same. He no longer hunts with a hot tube...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't formulate a single reason,to be reckless enough...to carry cocked/locked..................

come pheasant hunting with me and i'll show you a reason.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Loaded rifles while hunting

What type of rifle do you use for pheasant hunting?

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
One goes in the chamber as soon as I set foot out of the truck, or house, whichever it may be. It doesn't get unloaded until I get back at the truck or house. I mostly hunt in Mississippi and I'd say 98.9% of all the guys do the same as me. I've hunted Alaska a couple of times, once jumping a small grizzly out of a thicket a few yards away. I can't imagine running around in bear country with an unloaded rifle. If someone doesn't like my rifle being loaded I'll explain my reasoning and politely decline to unload it. If they insist, then one of us will have to leave the hunting party. I have the same thought process with my pistols around the house, if it's within reach then it's got a round in the chamber. An unloaded gun is just useless weight, and even worse it will get you into trouble because of that split second thought of "do I need to put a round in the chamber or not". During that time the trophy of a lifetime has gotten away, or worse, the thug coming after you has gained the upper hand.

My basic rule is that if the gun is within reach then it's loaded, if it's locked up in a safe or in a case then it's unloaded, no in between.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NEF's I'd be for guessing........grins

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll bet scope covers give you fits also........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sitting in a stand where you might not see a deer until its within 40 yds...you have to hunt with one in the pipe. When leave the truck I have one in the pipe...I unchamber to climb a stand...thats it.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sittin in a stand I can savy it, climbing with another fella at 10K feet in the steep and deep I can't.

Like I said b4 this is gonna come down a geography thing.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still Hunting is what I know best. Growed up doing it and ain't quit yet.

I call it Sneak and Peek..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I am hunting alone, have one in the chamber. Unload as required by terrain etc. If in group, lead guy usually has one up the spout, remainder no chambered rounds (group is hiking into hunting area, not group/party hunting). Style of hunt tends to determine how I carry. Hunt with a very select group and we have worked out the rules. As for if a on a guided hunt, never had that kind of money.
I live on the prairie but, hunt all over Alberta.

Last edited by troutfly; 12/28/06.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It simply comes down to safety and Geography is moot.

If someone can't operate an arm enroute to shoulder,they oughtta stick with Tiddlywinks...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I meant by geography is more along the lines of what part of the world do people hail from and not in terms of releaf. My point about the geography like I said earlier is that I am for guessing that the fellas that live in the close tight country (Minne, Pa, Cheesehead land and such) are gonna be for running one up the tube.

Those out west, southwest, northwest are not gonna be as apt to do so.

I know what I am gonna do and am only guessing about the others. What they choose do on their own and away from me is their choice.

Mark D

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Quit using them after about a month of owning my first pair, they're pretty much useless.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amazing how things make sense....................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Quit using them after about a month of owning my first pair, they're pretty much useless.

You know I've found the very same thing to be true when the gun aint on the hill.......grins

Good for keeping the dust off the glass however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One in the chamber unless in treachorous terrain. I felt quite pleased to have two guides in Alaska tell me to go ahead and chamber a round for the rest of the hunt when they saw how I handled my rifles after a day afield with me. I had complied witht thier rule of an empty chamber without complaint up until invited to do otherwise. Could have been a bit of proffesional courtesy there, too. Was also sent out to hunt Brown bear with closest support help (guide) quite a long ways off. We require an empty tube of our Africa Clients until stalking close to the quarry but we carry one in the spout as we are the first line of defense in the event of an animal ambush. Here we have a case of geopraphy dictating decorum but not for the reasons first supposed.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Could see the scope cap comment coming 10miles out.........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everybody did...............(grin)

Page 4 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,896
Posts18,479,248
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.