Campfire Tracker
R
Great warranty!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rosco1
More estrogen from the PNW

You're free to buy all the Kimbers you want.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great warranty means that either the product is so good they don't care or that it's so cheap to replace they don't care.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

FWIW -- my 8" 223 American shoots 40 grain bullets at 3800fps in tiny little clusters. They reasoning is utter crap...

Eef da tweest wuzzent zo tight, Zey would shoot holez, not zee kluster you fool!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Kimber's issue is they really do a fine job with design - both pistols and rifles, but then it comes time to actually execute them, they cut corners to save money. Hence Montanas with lousy barrels, and pistols that jam and break parts. They took a lot of heat over barrels though, so I suspect they now have better barrels than they did 10 years ago.

Knowing something about manufacturing, it's worth pointing out that tooling costs can be significant. Tooling can be anything from casting patterns, to machining fixtures, to forging dies, plus all the time to redesign them.

I can see the issue though, if Joe Average buys some 40gr factory .22-250 loads, or even his own reloads, and shoots them in a 1 in 8" twist barrel. If they blow up in flight he's likely to blame the rifle.

The .280AI seems to be modestly popular - maybe the .22-250AI could be "domesticated" next, with a 1 in 8" barrel as standard.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I can see the issue though, if Joe Average buys some 40gr factory .22-250 loads, or even his own reloads, and shoots them in a 1 in 8" twist barrel. If they blow up in flight he's likely to blame the rifle.

I don't accept that because there have been stipulations put on bullets for a long, long time.

The SPSX isn't made for the 22-250. And the 80gr. A-Max isn't made for a 14" twist.

2017 is fast approaching and firearms manufacturers simply aren't keeping up.

Last post.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
One of their top foreign engineers -- with a bad haircut -- looked me straight in the eye and said, "Can't happen. Bullets will shred in midair!!".

That right there tells me that guy doesn't shoot much.

Thanks for you thoughts, SAS and JB.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking the slow down in the gun market may give manufacturers time to get their fingers on the pulse of loonies. For too long damn near anything they made, no matter how cheaply or nonsensically, was all but guaranteed to sell.

Back before I ordered my Creedmoor, I did a lot of research. The common theme with the Creedmoor is that the longer magazine box is what gives it its advantage. Thousands of people acknowledge this. So like Darrik said, wouldn't it stand to reason that a longer magazine box is a good thing with other chamberings as well. Why hasn't the success of the Creedmoor taught manufacturers a lesson?

How often do you hear "I wish this rifle had a slower twist?" How often do you hear the opposite? You'd think someone would take note. Is it really that big of a financial risk to speed up the twist of a few rifles to see how they do?

Again, guns sold so well for so long that maybe manufacturers didn't have to care. With our national binge buying slowing, they are going to have to do something to spark more interest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG - I 'tested' some of the special techniques 'required' for light rifles and they didn't pan out for me. I shoot my Kimbers like I shoot everything else.

I do find that the Kimber Montana causes some inconsistency issues - at least for me. While shooting my 30-06, I start with my standard technique and end up grabbing it tighter anticipating recoil. Groups go from 1" to 2" as a result. I wouldn't say its Kimber specific but with the lighter mass, its not hard to tweak it.

I'm must be really lucky. I have 4 Kimbers and they will all do less than an inch with various bullets. I've not shot a factory shell through any of them so can't comment. I've never shot a Tikka either so can't comment. I like the Kimber platform and don't find the extra tweaks bothersome - but I do something to every rifle I've ever owned.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talking about twists. A puzzle to me in the .224 barrels, this 9 inch twist thing. Why do they almost get there but just not quite. Granted a 9 helps but and 8 inch twist would cover any .224 bullet.
And like SAS I'm not buying they won't shoot light bullets thing. I've shot too many good targets with a 40 grain bullet in a 6 1/2 twist barrel to believe they will not shoot.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
PaulBarnard,

The 6.5 Creedmoor does NOT involve a "longer magazine box." Instead it's designed to fit with a little room to spare in the STANDARD short-action magazine, which is a little more the 2.8" long.

This is exactly why it's successful. Rifle manufacturers don't have to do anything to their present rifles except screw on a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. They don't have to use a longer magazine box, or modify their stocks or actions to accommodate one--which is what rifle loonies often do with other "short action" cartridges that with high-BC bullets are too long for 2.8" magazines.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ruger is making me angry.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except for pure target shooing exercises, I'm having a hard time trying to figure our why a 6.5 CM would replace anyone's 7-08 on game.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Except for pure target shooing exercises, I'm having a hard time trying to figure our why a 6.5 CM would replace anyone's 7-08 on game.

MM

Except for lighter recoil, I'd have to agree. They're really quite similar.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
PaulBarnard,

The 6.5 Creedmoor does NOT involve a "longer magazine box." Instead it's designed to fit with a little room to spare in the STANDARD short-action magazine, which is a little more the 2.8" long.

This is exactly why it's successful. Rifle manufacturers don't have to do anything to their present rifles except screw on a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. They don't have to use a longer magazine box, or modify their stocks or actions to accommodate one--which is what rifle loonies often do with other "short action" cartridges that with high-BC bullets are too long for 2.8" magazines.

Thanks for cleaning up after me John!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

MM

This is exactly why I do not have a 6.5CM.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Because it's better, ya big silly.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I'm just not looney enough.........or perhaps it's because I can read ballistics data for what they are. wink

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I'm just not looney enough.........or perhaps it's because I can read ballistics data for what they are. wink

MM

BINGO...

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

MM

😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 64 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,587
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.