Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
458, lets see if your statements hold water.

To quote you "giving advice to that if followed will damage a stock and result in substandard results."

I have been doing this work since I was in Jr High school I was doing it semi-professionally before I was halfway through high-school. I have hundreds and hundreds of VERY satisfied customers from all over the USA, a few in Canada and a lot in Europe.

You want to talk about truth, well there is some to consider.

Next piece of truth.

Walnut and Maple trees are cut with chain saws, and have been now for about 90 years.

So it's safe to assume all the stock blanks you have ever seen were cut with a power tool. Right?

But the saw marks get cut away, so that doesn't matter.

All of my muzzleloader stocks are cut out and 100% made by hand, and about 1/3 of all my bolt actions are cut out of blanks. 100% made by hand. The only power tool used is a DeWalt drill for the butt plate screws and grip cap screws, and the band saw I cut the shape out with. But the trees were cut with power tools. And then the shape was cut out on a band saw.

If your stocks, or Arts stocks are not 100% hand made like most of mine are, I'd say it's probable that they were paragraphed to a 90% or 95% semi-inlet. Right?

But that won't matter because the machine marks are smoothed away. 1st class stocks can be made that way! Most are.

Nearly all the stocks made by the top arms manufacturers on earth are made from wood cut with chain saws and roughed out on paragraphs. All American companies and nearly all British and European companies do the same.

It doesn't have a thing to do with the quality of the work at the end.

It's safe to say that probably all rifles and shotguns that sell for 20,000 and less have stocks made with the use of power tools.

Only when you have fully relief carved surfaces can a power sander not be used.

So how smart do you think it is to suggest that the use of an orbital sander is somehow "just not done" and that is is somehow going to give a bad surface, when every gun made in the last 50 years or so, that sells for less then 20,000 has orbital sanders used on them?

That includes Purdy, W.R. Rigby Boss and also the very best German and Italian guns.

That makes as much sense and saying the trees MUST be cut with hand saws or you just can't get a good finish. It may dazzle people with very small brains, but anyone with an IQ higher than a potato can see that's just not true.

The emperor really is naked.

I earn about 85% of my living making muzzle-loaders and nearly ALL of them have hand made stock that no power tool is used on past the band saw stage, and a hand drill to make holes for screws.

So it's likely I have done more 100% hand made stocks in my time as a gunsmith than you and Art combined.

That's a guess, so I may be wrong, but what is TRUE is that I have done hundreds and hundreds of them.

So when I tell folks that an orbital sander is fine for all open surfaces, clear down to 320 grit, I know it's true and I know it's foolish to try to convince people that have at least average intelligence that it's not true.

ALL gun companies on earth do it.

If you cut the surface down with a sander to 320 grit and then hand sand with blocks at 400 grit, the surface is the same as if you had taken it all down by hand. just is a hand made Mauser stock can have the exact same finish and beauty as a Mauser stock made from a 95% semi-inlet.

The machining marks are removed in both cases. Both can be 1st class.

458, here are a few of the hand made stocks I have done. Very few comparatively.

In fact, some of these pictures were scanned from photos others took of guns I made them. They sent them to me. I started doing this work in my young teens and I am now 60. I do not have 48 years worth of pictures. Just these few.

I didn't even own a camera that I could post pictures with until about 9 years ago. So many of these are taken in the last 9 years.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/American%20guns/

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/2010%20Church%20rifle/

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/German%20guns/

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/English%20guns/

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/Made%20for%20Freddie%20Harrison/

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/pistols/

So this is a very small section of my work.
But I think it will prove a point.

I do know a LOT about hand making stocks and hand work. I doubt that are many smiths in the USA today that make over 90% of all their stock 100% by hand. I am one of them.

None of the carved guns shown have been machine sanded. A few of the non-carved ones were, down to about 320 grit.

I can assure you that every single one of these stock blanks was cut from a tree that was dropped with a chain saw, and every single one was made from a blank I band sawed out to shape. None of those saw marks are on them now do they?

If I (or anyone)use a orbital sander to take a surface down to 180 grit, it's ridiculous to believe that somehow those little marks are going to remain, any more than the saw marks are still there from the chain saw.

Another truth to consider:
If I left "deep cuts' on a stock with a blade, (which I didn't) do you think they would be as deep as the damage to the stock that required the re-finish in the 1st place?

On the browning stock I did in the video, the surface I sanded with the machine was ready for 220 grit in less then 2 minutes per side. But if I were trying to gouge someone on the price ,it would be hard to justify that high monetary charge if they knew how fast and easy this work really is.

Come on here....lets think!

The emperor really is Naked!

Anyone that says different is either deceived, or is "using the smoke" to over charge his customers, and trying to tell them they don't know enough to disagree with him.

Their eyes will lie to them , but the man won't? .....yeah.....Right!

PT Barnum said it was morally wrong to allow a fool to keep money.

Jesus Christ said we are to be our brothers keepers.
I like the second model for my business.

I don't rip folks off, and I show how to do good work when I am asked. If it's offensive to some, I can only guess that is is offensive because they ARE trying to rip others off.

Some of the work I do is extremely detailed and can be difficult to learn. Much however is not hard at all. I am willing to teach both, and I teach for nothing more then the cost of someone asking in openness and honesty.

That was how the questions were asked in the very first posts of this thread, and that's the reason I answered.

Honest and inquisitive men will appreciate it.

The rest......well they probably wont.
As I said, they don't have to.

Last edited by szihn; 02/01/17.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Have you been drinking?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think we've wrung every bit of useful information out of this thread.
I'm out of popcorn.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ya, it's starting to resemble a Safariman/Larry Root thread, 10K+ views.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Truth is one thing but rude insulting behavior has nothing to do with it. Where are the guy's manners?

So you agree you are only attacking me for my manners.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Congratulations after 7 pages you've finally got it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations after 7 pages you've finally got it.

So you obviously agree szihn is a total hack and his scraping method is a total joke... Thank you for your truthfulness and sincerity.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
His is just a method that differs from yours sir. My post related to my experience and observations while employed in the Browning Arms Company gunsmithing department. And BTW they used pneumatic sanders on the stocks after chemically stripping the finish. The work was done to the highest standards and had to pass a stringent inspection before being returned to the customer. I also posted about a fellow teacher, a woodworking instructor had stripped the finish from a muzzle loading rifle with a pocket knife. After he completed the refinish, experts he showed the rifle to proclaimed it as having an original finish. I never took sides for nor against szihn and his methods.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Boom

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Boom

Really? Didn't you read his other posts?

I worked right next to the finishing department when I worked in Browning Arms gunsmithing shop. Whatever chemical they used the stocks were soaked for extended periods of time. The hum of pneumatic sanders was constant as they did lots of sanding, stripping the Browning finish is time consuming hard work even for professionals. The finish is a two part catalyzing type that Browning had shipped in from Belgium. I still remember the skids loaded with gallon cans of this finish, I never understood why they couldn't find a finish that was manufactured in the US. Even the new finish was brittle, cutting the masking tape from the checkered areas after refinishing was a real challenge not to chip the finish. Glad the finishers did all that work, my only involvement was to re-install the wood on the gun.

And, for the record, not all pneumatic sanders are the same. Or even close. Notice the cushy felt pad on a homeowner sander. Care to guess what the big boys use?

You need to put your glasses on there Mr. Knowitall. Where in my post did I say anything about believing 5 minutes? Kinda went off half cocked there dontcha think?

----------------------------------------------------------

Takes one to know one Mr. Knowitall, I was not defending anyone nor did I say stripping finish in 5 minutes was credible. You're the one with the comprehension problem. Now you're attacking another poster I see, you have absolutely no idea how to be a gentleman much less engage in civil discourse. No matter how much knowledge or experience you have it is no excuse for being rude, demeaning, nor talking down to others.

If it is so much faster to scrape the finish off why hasn't Browning gone that route?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You are delusional pal, nothing that I posted said anything about Browning and scraping the finish off. Didn't say anything about the merits of pneumatic sanders either. Just like Sgt. Friday all I posted were the facts. You need to get down off your high horse, take a chill pill and relax before you have a stroke or a coronary.

Last edited by gunswizard; 02/04/17.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Boom

Really? Didn't you read his other posts? ... If it is so much faster to scrape the finish off why hasn't Browning gone that route?

Oh I've read all the posts, multiple times. I don't know you so I won't comment on your wood skills but based on the credentials you've given, you have been around stocks for some time.

I'm more than a little surprised that you aren't man enough to admit there may more than one way to get to Pittsburg. You have a certain way of doing things and that's fine. Your methods work well for you. Others may do things differently than you and that seems to be a problem for you. Too bad. You likely have a lot to offer but people have grown tired of listening to your arrogance, smugness and unwillingness to consider others may have methods that might work well for them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boom

Really? Didn't you read his other posts? ... If it is so much faster to scrape the finish off why hasn't Browning gone that route?

Oh I've read all the posts, multiple times. I don't know you so I won't comment on your wood skills but based on the credentials you've given, you have been around stocks for some time.

I'm more than a little surprised that you aren't man enough to admit there may more than one way to get to Pittsburg. You have a certain way of doing things and that's fine. Your methods work well for you. Others may do things differently than you and that seems to be a problem for you. Too bad. You likely have a lot to offer but people have grown tired of listening to your arrogance, smugness and unwillingness to consider others may have methods that might work well for them.

I have been to Pittsburgh by planes, trains, and automobiles... stagecoaches, afoot, asea, and on an ass, and I have seen enough to know that Icarus was an idiot without having to pretend he had a better idea. I have taught master-class scraper techniques for decades. I do not have to climb on the back of Icarus to know he is augering in.

If your stock is not a total POS it will be because someone woke up and actually used a sanding block for quite a long time to make it work. To pretend there was ANY merit to the five-minute claim is to completely overlook simple Physics, basic woodworking techniques, and the Space/Time Continuum.

A reasonable claim would not be addressed this way, but argumentum ad absurdum does not allow such a ridiculous claim. To do the job properly takes far more than 30 minutes and the job was not even close to proper in any respect.

It has absolutely nothing to do with an alternate route to Pittsburgh, but rather a route that cannot get you there in any reasonable time and you will be battered, bruised, beaten, bedraggled, and busted up besides arriving very, very late to the event with a damaged stock in hand.

Do not pretend I have no experience with the exact job, technique, skill set, and many options. I have no problem with reasonable options but I know Bubba when I see him come into the bar with the puffed chest and rolled up pant cuffs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh yeah, and I wish you the best on your refinish job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see the BS is still flowing from the usual suspects.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1,000 OSU sig, you hit the nail square on the head. I've been telling him the same thing for some time now but nothing seems to penetrate his thick skull.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Boom

I have been to Pittsburgh by planes, trains, and automobiles... stagecoaches, afoot, asea, and on an ass, and I have seen enough to know that Icarus was an idiot without having to pretend he had a better idea. I have taught master-class scraper techniques for decades. I do not have to climb on the back of Icarus to know he is augering in.

If your stock is not a total POS it will be because someone woke up and actually used a sanding block for quite a long time to make it work. To pretend there was ANY merit to the five-minute claim is to completely overlook simple Physics, basic woodworking techniques, and the Space/Time Continuum.

A reasonable claim would not be addressed this way, but argumentum ad absurdum does not allow such a ridiculous claim. To do the job properly takes far more than 30 minutes and the job was not even close to proper in any respect.

It has absolutely nothing to do with an alternate route to Pittsburgh, but rather a route that cannot get you there in any reasonable time and you will be battered, bruised, beaten, bedraggled, and busted up besides arriving very, very late to the event with a damaged stock in hand.

Do not pretend I have no experience with the exact job, technique, skill set, and many options. I have no problem with reasonable options but I know Bubba when I see him come into the bar with the puffed chest and rolled up pant cuffs.

Finished photos will be posted. Until then, please carry on. I'm enjoying the show.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't care what finished pictures look like, do not trust any wood butcher bouncing a butcher knife around on a piece of good wood. I have been around the block with fine wood working and do know how to burnish and use a cabinet scraper.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Don't care what finished pictures look like, do not trust any wood butcher bouncing a butcher knife around on a piece of good wood. I have been around the block with fine wood working and do know how to burnish and use a cabinet scraper.

Feel free to not look at photos then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am pleased to have your leave to do as I wish, would have been a great concern if you were not happy. You seem to think as highly of yourself as you do of your fine woodworking expertise.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.