Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know these are not the first choice of most on here but which one would you prefer in 7mm08? This will be a knock-around rifle and I don't want to spend anymore than necessary for something that will be strictly a tool. Does anyone know anything that is really wrong about either of these besides they are not the top of the line? I intend to mount a Leupold 6X scope on it.

Many thanks

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Ruger American compact, nice handy little rifle, shoots great although it's a 308 not a 7mm. Never handled thPatriot

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Don't know anything about the Mossberg but I have a RAR All Weather in 243. I picked the Ruger over a Tikka because I don't like squared off stocks at the balance point, for one handed carry. Plus it was a lot cheaper. The comb was a little low but Ruger sent a free add on check piece that raises the comb. My first 3 shot group with a 6x Leupold mounted was 3/4". It has shot all loads to an inch or less. I am strongly considering getting another one in 7mm08 and maybe one in 223. Heck of a rifle for the money. Just my opinion.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Of the two mentioned, get the Ruger American.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buy the Ruger.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The following is very subjective, so it's worth what you paid for it. Buy the Ruger. I ordered/sold a guy a Mossberg Patriot last summer, it was by far the absolute worst rifle I have ever put to my shoulder.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like my RA.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're looking for an inexpensive 7mm-08, I think that the Marlin XS7s that CDNN is selling for $270 is a better choice than either the Ruger or the Mossberg. If the Marlin doesn't interest you, I'd rather have the Ruger than the Mossberg.

I think that the Marlin X guns had the potential to dominate their market niche before the gurus at Freedom Group decided to take that platform away from Marlin and give it to Remington, where it has morph into the not as attractive Remington 783.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I recently purchased the Mossberg Patriot in 7mm-08. Will pick it up tommorow, so cant say much about it yet.It felt better to me in hand than the Ruger or Savage axis,fairly light, fluted barrel and bolt, and very smooth action. We will see.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wouldn't buy anything "Mossberg."

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Campfire is always looking for the best "Cheap Gun"....

kind of a contradiction in terms....

and then to make things even more confusing...

Cheap Guns, can't have cheap optics on top...

Cheap Guns Great

Cheap Optics BAD...

For the hell of it, I put a Tasco $59 scope on top of RAR Predator... and guess what? It shot just the same out to 200 yds ( the limit of the test)...

But then when that happened, all of a sudden the trigger on the Ruger went south...something came loose...pull it and nothing... and I have never adjusted the trigger to be lighter...

So I put a Leupold on top of it, and still no better with the trigger...

So I put a more spendier Leupold on top, still nothing changed...

So now I have to return the rifle to Ruger...

in conclusion it just proves... if you put a Cheap Scope on top of your cheap rifle... bad things happen... whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't tried a Mossberg Patriot yet, but did a test of several new "chassis" rifles this summer. One was the Mossberg MVP LC chambered for the 5.56 NATO, and is the same barreled action as the Patriot in a chassis stock. It shot very well, functioned perfectly, and trigger pull was pretty crisp and light out of the box, so I didn't bother to adjust it. Was impressed enough to plan on testing a Patriot, but haven't done so yet.

Have owned several Ruger Americans and so far haven't had any trouble with any, and they've all shot well to extremely well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
The Campfire is always looking for the best "Cheap Gun"....

kind of a contradiction in terms....

and then to make things even more confusing...

Cheap Guns, can't have cheap optics on top...

Cheap Guns Great

Cheap Optics BAD...

For the hell of it, I put a Tasco $59 scope on top of RAR Predator... and guess what? It shot just the same out to 200 yds ( the limit of the test)...

But then when that happened, all of a sudden the trigger on the Ruger went south...something came loose...pull it and nothing... and I have never adjusted the trigger to be lighter...

So I put a Leupold on top of it, and still no better with the trigger...

So I put a more spendier Leupold on top, still nothing changed...

So now I have to return the rifle to Ruger...

in conclusion it just proves... if you put a Cheap Scope on top of your cheap rifle... bad things happen... whistle

I think that the RAR-Predators, Howa 1500s, and Marlin X guns all offer a lot of performance for the $$. The RAR-Predators in 204 Ruger, 223 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmoor that I've shot have been better "out of the box" shooters than dozens of more expensive rifles that I've owned.

In general, I think that cheap optics, those under $100 per unit, are, with few exceptions, a poor value, as they tend to lack quality across the board, particularly the elevation/windage adjustments, the lens coating, and their durability. Among the exceptions are the discontinued Philippines-made Simmons Whitetail Classics. A few years ago, Natchez was selling the 3.5-10x40 SWCs for $70 per unit and the dozen or so that I bought have all worked out well on my lower tier rifles.

B
B
I have both Ruger American and Mossberg Patriot and I think they are about equal the Ruger stock seams more flexible and trigger a little gritty and stiff the Patriot is in .375 Ruger and will print smaller groups center to center the Ruger is 22-250 and shoots well under an inch if I would get another it would be a Mossberg just my opinion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tzone

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Seafire

I don't know if you are replying to me or not, but price alone is not the driving force in my quest. Also, this would not be the first rifle I own by a long shot. I have a hankering for one of these more modest priced examples to replace a Springfield 1903 as a knock-about and truck rifle. I hope to end up with a bit lighter rifle in the process also.

I only mentioned the Leupold 6X scope because it is one that is not being used at the present not because I think it is a cheap or better optic. I could have mentioned other examples also.

Larry
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

I have a 46M Mossberg 22 rifle that was my Dads and I prize it quite highly. Besides that it has performed very well for over 60 years. wink

Larry
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I haven't tried a Mossberg Patriot yet, but did a test of several new "chassis" rifles this summer. Was impressed enough to plan on testing a Patriot, but haven't done so yet.

John

Have you tested the Marlin X7? It seems like I talked with you about one at a RMEF convention a few years ago but I don't remember for sure.

Larry
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I was looking at the marlin X rifles at CDNN. The one question that came up was they list a 10 twist for the 7-08. I wondered if they would shoot well with that twist.

The ruger had a 9 1/2 I think.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ipopum
I was looking at the marlin X rifles at CDNN. The one question that came up was they list a 10 twist for the 7-08. I wondered if they would shoot well with that twist.

The ruger had a 9 1/2 I think.

I have a 2011 Marlin catalog that shows the ROT for the XS7 as follows:

243 = 1-10"
7mm-08 = 1-9.5"
308 = 1-12"

I think that CDNN used the same specs for both the 243 and the 7mm-08 Marlin XS7s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,687
Posts18,494,053
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.