Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Went on the Simms website to purchase a gift certificate as a going away gift for a co-worker. Did not find any gift certificates, emailed Simms, they let me know they don't currently offer those, but "are working on that for the future." Really, with that website no one thought to throw on something as simple as a gift certificate? So, that's $500 I won't be spending with Simms.

Any similar brands I should look at? Hopefully a brand that has waders, jackets, etc., and gift certificates.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Simms is set up to sell through specialty shops. Their internet sales are starting to create waves among their retailers.

Places like Cabela's with schitty house branded stuff use Simm's to get people through the door and then switch them to their garbage. They have a very small selections of sizes and models.

As others said, a gift card to a fly shop is the best way to go.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Patagonia. Look at their salt jacket for a bomber fishing jacket for your coworker.

Evan Chouinard owns Patagonia and directly funds Earth First and other similar environmental terrorist organizations, don't support that [bleep].

Someone needs to make a list of everything we're supposed to be boycotting. I'm losing track.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Orvis

Orvis is over-priced, out-dated gear designed for old fat men that really cannot cast and do not spend much time doing it...

wink just my .02 worth.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Orvis

Orvis is over-priced, out-dated gear designed for old fat men that really cannot cast and do not spend much time doing it...

wink just my .02 worth.

Better get me an Orvis catalog!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Orvis

wink just my .02 worth.

LOL, I too am beginning to resemble that remark.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Orvis

wink just my .02 worth.

LOL, I too am beginning to resemble that remark.

I have an Orvis reel.... frown

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After two pages of the usual, may I make a suggestion?

Order an Orvis Helios 2 5-wt fly rod with a fast tip. It may be the finest dry fly rod on the planet (I have one and can attest to that) and it's something he'll treasure forever.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Order an Orvis Helios 2 5-wt fly rod with a fast tip. It may be the finest dry fly rod on the planet (I have one and can attest to that) and it's something he'll treasure forever.

How do you know the co-worker is a fat old man that can't cast though?

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Try Sierra Trading Post

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone needs to make a list of everything we're supposed to be boycotting.

Yep. a tough deal. If I had to avoid everyone that I have a difference of opinion with, there'd be few around I could even talk with. Agree to disagree and get on with life.

Have about 18 fly rods and got 1 more at my retirement event. A wonderful gift by the way as it was built by a coworker.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/09/16.

1Minute
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
http://www.mrfc.com/clearance/

This place has best service and prices

I wait til end of year to pick up on closeout

Much better than cabelas

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went on the Simms website to purchase a gift certificate as a going away gift for a co-worker. Did not find any gift certificates, emailed Simms, they let me know they don't currently offer those, but "are working on that for the future." Really, with that website no one thought to throw on something as simple as a gift certificate? So, that's $500 I won't be spending with Simms.

Any similar brands I should look at? Hopefully a brand that has waders, jackets, etc., and gift certificates.

As at least one other suggested, try contacting a local shop for a gift certificate where the lucky recipient can can choose from a wide variety of stuff. Simms is excellent FWIW.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Pugs

As at least one other suggested, try contacting a local shop for a gift certificate where the lucky recipient can can choose from a wide variety of stuff. Simms is excellent FWIW.

Pretty much said the same. Given what the OP said I'd shy from buying the actual item and stick with 'some' type of card. Lots of advice on here, none wrong (mostly). But short of asking the guy, "do you want a 5wgt rod?", and spoiling what might be a really nice sendoff surprise you could pick wrong. But choosing the right card consider if:

1) Local nice flyshop if guy is retiring and you have a local nice flyshop...not 250 miles away.
2) guy is not boarding a plane to take a new job 2500 miles away 3 days after being given card for awesome local flyshop.

Either of those answers fail and pick something that can accommodate EASY online or local shopping where he is relocating. Just my less than .02.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not get him a visa gift card with a nice note telling him to enjoy shopping on the Simms website?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
Why not get him a visa gift card with a nice note telling him to enjoy shopping on the Simms website?

Nothing says we know you like a generic $500 visa card...hell that's what I give my tenants when they threaten to sue and I know they 'could' be right.

It's very important that an outgoing employee be appreciated without having any chance to waste his appreciation on anything like moving expenses, a new pistol, or hookers...hence only two choices, cabelas gift card....or......COMPANY LOGO ENGRAVED, GOLD look, watch!!!! Tahhdahhh.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Really do appreciate all the input. Like the local fly shop idea a lot, but he's leaving by year end and moving to New Jersey. Easy target for comments here, but I'll keep going.

We had already planned to get our group together with our spouses for dinner tomorrow night as our holiday gathering, so thought we'd better take the opportunity to also make it a going away recognition. Have ordered roses for his spouse, and want to be able to give him something from the 5 of us left in the group tomorrow night.

So, even though he's not an old, fat guy 😬 and damn skilled with a fly rod, I got an Orvis gift certificate. They sent it to me within 2 hours, I printed it off and will put it in a card for us to sign. I agree some of their items seem overpriced, but I think he'll appreciate it and will hopefully pick something up that he wouldn't have bought for himself otherwise.

He's a damn fine man and a good friend. Really happy for him, it's a hell of an opportunity, but we're sure going to miss him.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Orvis gift certificate

He will like that very much.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He won't be dissapointed, will be able to use it and will remember the gift...see now finding out he's moving to Jersey changes everything. Might be he goes for a 9 wght to cast for stripers in the surf and a 5 wght would be useless as a tit on a bull.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pretty sure you can get a gift certificate from Madison River Fishing Company, they carry all that a fly fisherman needs.

Good closeout deals too, if your friend is in to that.

He can use the gift card in person in Ennis for a guided trip on the Upper Madison, or online for Simms waders.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,445 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.