Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Many years ago, I lit off my 44 mag in a tree stand that was built inside four main trunks of a white pine tree. A 3rd generation stand is in that same tree, as I've hunted it since 1980! That shot I took had the revolver between two of the trunks and the sound was amplified right back at me. Right then and there I decided I was going to hunt with electronic ear muffs from then on!!!!!!

The old Walker Game Ear muffs I've had since 2002 are starting go on the fritz. Also, they pick up interference from your mobile phone if you don't put it on Airplane mode. I also find with my current pair I have reduced directional accuracy as to being able to look quickly look at the source of the crunching leaves. Leading to allot of quick head swinging looking for that buck!

So, I'm in the market for a new pair. I know Walker still produces electronic earmuffs and now plugs. But there are others, like Howard, Peltor, Pro Ears.

Please share your experiences with the recent products (both muffs and plugs) and your recommendations? Pros and cons? Work or don't?

I'm more interested in field/hunting experience than range experience.

Thanks.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use a pair of Peltor Tac-6 muffs when hunting with a handgun. I love the fact that they're full stereo, like one's ears, so you can tell the direction of sounds.. And they're so sensitive that they actually enhance the hearing..

One time several years ago I was hunting in NW WI and down in an area between two close-by ridges.. With the muffs on, I could hear a deer pacing around up just behind the edge of one ridge.. After about a half-hour the doe decided all's cool and came right down the slope towards me..

Too bad I only had a buck tag at the time.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by petemacmahon

So, I'm in the market for a new pair. I know Walker still produces electronic earmuffs and now plugs. But there are others, like Howard, Peltor, Pro Ears.

Please share your experiences with the recent products (both muffs and plugs) and your recommendations? Pros and cons? Work or don't?

Thanks.

I waited too long to wear hearing protection when hunting and have permanently damaged my hearing. However, I have more than 65% of my hearing still, so I asked a lot of questions among people online here and elsewhere. I have MSA Supreme Pro-X. I can actually follow conversations when I wear my Pro-X's. I got mine through "Mile High" shooting supplies. He has top flight gear for whatever you need in the long range shooting/hunting game.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Walker models with the four mics (2 front and 2 back) are good for directional hearing.
Like these:
Walker muffs

The new Walker Razor neck band ear plugs are junk. All you will hear is wind noise.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I haven't used the plugs, but I do have a pair of the Pro Ears gold series muffs. They are fantastic. They do not "cut-out" at a loud sound like my old Peltor 7S's did. They just reduce the volume of that loud sound while keeping everything else at a normal volume. You can turn the volume up to enhance hearing and you can plug in a radio to them if so desired (listen to a game).

They are pretty comfortable to wear for long periods. I mainly wear mine in pistol matches and when instructing classes.

With that said, the electronic plugs for hunting do peak my interest.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+1 on Walker muffs

The foundation for old age is good memories.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

I waited too long to wear hearing protection when hunting and have permanently damaged my hearing. However, I have more than 65% of my hearing still, so I asked a lot of questions among people online here and elsewhere. I have MSA Supreme Pro-X. I can actually follow conversations when I wear my Pro-X's. I got mine through "Mile High" shooting supplies. He has top flight gear for whatever you need in the long range shooting/hunting game.

+1

These are extremely comfy with the gel cups.

Last edited by alukban; 12/13/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It took me all of two years to decide grin fbut I ended up buying Pro Ears Gold muffs. I should be getting them this Friday.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by petemacmahon

Thanks.

I wish I had read this before I bought my Pro Ears, these look great

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have fitted Magnum Ear plugs. They work great for me. They amplify analog, right across all frequencies, so things sound a little different than with my regular hearing aids. They shut do gunshot noise very well. Even my .500 S&W only sounds like a gunshot you'd hear on TV.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 52 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,029
Posts18,520,914
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.