Campfire Ranger
It must be Friday.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
After the new wears off is the boy still going to take care of the dog or will it be outside on a chain for the rest of it's miserable life? Not trying to be a dick, but way to much of that bullshite going on around Christmas time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Doesn't anybody read the actual question?

Dave

On the fire?

You're kidding...right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to a pound and let him pick his own dog.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigEars
After the new wears off is the boy still going to take care of the dog or will it be outside on a chain for the rest of it's miserable life? Not trying to be a dick, but way to much of that bullshite going on around Christmas time.

Chief Dark Cloud LOL.

I got a Christmas puppy once and love him for 13 years!

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Norwegian elkhound. I've had 4. Great family dogs, wonderful with kids, bonds tightly to family, love the outdoors. They wan to wrestle and play. Smart, loyal and a bit independent. Get 2 and they will play with each other when your son is at school. They are clean and without that "doggy" oder to them. They don't really dig or chew incessantly. Like it best if owner wrestles and plays with them . They love long walks and are good on a leash. They are attentive, and sensitive to reproach from the Master. They want to please, but are outgoing and independent at the same time. 40-5- pounds.

Only negative is they do shed, but the undercoat does not seem to trigger allergies in most sufferers.

(stock photos)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If you do get a puppy, make sure it is NO LESS than 7 weeks old.

Really young ones are juuuust a bit neurotic.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
If you do get a puppy, make sure it is NO LESS than 7 weeks old.

Really young ones are juuuust a bit neurotic.

Man you are almost to 50,000 posts!!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
It will spend a good bit of time in the house, and mom needs one that does not shed much hair and tends not to cause allergic reactions.

This dog can't be a tiny "yapper" but will be best if it is toward the smaller end of the scale and not inclined to try to escape. The boy will work very hard toward correct training and care of his dog, and simply love it for all he is worth.

I sure want this to work for them. If you'd like more info, just ask. There are a bunch of smart dog people on this site and I trust that you will have some very helpful info. Thanks.

I would not recommend a beagle for a first time dog owner. They are independent natured and can be a handful.

If allergies and hair are a concern, I wouldn't recommend a lab either.

On the larger end, a well bred standard poodle or labradoodle can be great kids dogs. They shed very little and their temperament is perfect.

On the smaller end a shih-tzu is a great companion dog. If it's gonna be around kids let it be raised around kids. These little dogs tend to be somewhat like the people they are around. Shih-tzus raised by little old ladies tend to act like little old ladies. Our shih-tzus ran and tussled with the rest of our dogs and grandkids. Had to keep our male away from cattle as he thought he was a cow dog. Our female had "hunt" in her and would dig moles and tree squirrels.
They are not generally yappy, but will raise the roof at strange sounds in the night.

Caveat; Any of the breeds I'm aware of that shed less and are better for allergy sufferers are long haired and need frequent grooming and trimming.

I hope it works out for you too...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cairn terrier. Very little shedding and don't take up the space of two humans.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
Norwegian elkhound. I've had 4. Great family dogs, wonderful with kids, bonds tightly to family, love the outdoors. They wan to wrestle and play. Smart, loyal and a bit independent. Get 2 and they will play with each other when your son is at school. They are clean and without that "doggy" oder to them. They don't really dig or chew incessantly. Like it best if owner wrestles and plays with them . They love long walks and are good on a leash. They are attentive, and sensitive to reproach from the Master. They want to please, but are outgoing and independent at the same time. 40-5- pounds.

Only negative is they do shed, but the undercoat does not seem to trigger allergies in most sufferers.

(stock photos)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They look a lot like the Keeshond, and sounds like roughly the same weight too.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Cairn terrier. Very little shedding and don't take up the space of two humans.

We've had 2 and they both have been great.

They do think they are invincible though.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Basenji.
They don't shed and don't bark.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Miniature (not toy) poodle, ya don't gotta give them sissy hair cuts. No shedding, and the whole family will love it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Check out the predisposed problems with a lot of pure breds, like labs and their hips. Well bred dog are going to cost some bucks. A dog from the humane society around here runs $150-$250 depending on the age.

When our heeler died,we waited a year and started to look for one.At first they were $600.In a year they were $1000. You can find a rescue organization of just about any breed you can think of on the internet. We finally got lab cross from the Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue organization. We had to fill out a 6 page questionaire to get approved first and in inspection of our property.

Rescue dogs are great,but many come with baggage from past owners,but they share the greater love with a new good owner.

The bigger the dog the shorter the life span. All of the working dogs,hunting dogs etc., need a job or a lot of exersize. Our lab cross gets about 6 miles day walking with us.She is the happiest dog we ever had,but gets kind of obnxious if not exersized.

The 5 days a week alone really worries me.You want it bonded to the child ,but it won't get there by itself out there. Then there is the hair/mud in the house issue.That is a fact of life owning a dog.If that bothers someone,they shouldn't have dog.
I can see that dog being outside and becoming a barking nuisance to all the neighbors as it suffers separation anixety from being left alone in the day time.

I have had dogs all my life. Even when we both worked the dog was inside. Never had a problem. No piles of crap,no pee, no chewed things.

If you get this dog,find a good trainer that will come to your house and work with you,your family, Have it 100% obedience trained. Make it part of your family. Bark Busters is a nationwide chain of certified dog trainers. Expect to pay about $400 total over several months. It won't be easy finding one already trained unless you really luck on to one

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/09/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigEars
After the new wears off is the boy still going to take care of the dog or will it be outside on a chain for the rest of it's miserable life? - - -
I don't mind the question - trying to cover all important bases here. I know this boy very well - and his mom is my oldest daughter, so know her even better. This dog will have LOTS of human time and attention, the boy will play/walk/run with his pal, and they will be everyday buddies. Otherwise, I would not be so interested in helping - and intend to foot the bill for any needed training - of dog and owners.

The "5 days alone outside some weeks" is probably overstated - but want that possibility addressed. The dog will have a generous yard with sun and shade, can be inside a nice basement when he/she wishes, and very well may wind up being inside the house proper on school days. It will be the fourth and equal member of a loving small family.

Thanks much for all of the insights and suggestions - I knew you all would come through big time - and please don't stop here. Everything offered is in the think box.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I had a short legged rough coat jack russel dog. Great dog. He shed, but very little. Not much for barking.

Doubt he'd of stayed in a yard though.

Had a boxer. She was also a great dog. Did great on her own. Rarely barked. Great with kids.

Shed like a mofo. Those little hairs stuck in everything.

What ever you get will likely be a compromise of knowns and a whole bunch of unknowns. The family will adapt.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Beagles, spaniels (pick one), tollers, spitz, most any terrier.....

Yeah. Terriers never yap.

Clark

At least it ain't a fuggin' poodle.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shih-tzu is a great dog. Not to big but thinks it is. Use to be use for lion hunting in the old days. But they are great pets for kids.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (300_savage, 1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 18 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,859
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.