Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
And sometimes the red dust is rust from the can. I have separated the rust from the powder using a fan and a large bowl before.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Palidun
The guy I got it from said he got it in an ammo can. Picked it up at an estate sale.

Thnx. That answers some questions BY leaving a lot unknown.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
From Denton's link back on page one of this thread:

"Please dispose of (old, decomposing) powder and ammo supply before it starts to get warm or self-heat (via autocatalytic exothermic reaction)."

That autocatalytic exothermic reaction is what becomes spontaneous combustion when it gets hot enough. The nitroglycerine in the powder can only take so much heat.

Not something I want to have happen in my loading room.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Palidun
And sometimes the red dust is rust from the can. I have separated the rust from the powder using a fan and a large bowl before.

I have have resorted to this several times due to rusting in the can. The repackaged powder (some now over ten years older) still looks and smells fine. No change in chronographed velocities... It was simply rust.

Not saying that what some have experienced was rust versus decomposition, bit I have not seen the red dust in powder packaged in plastic...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mr. Denton -- please.

I have 'several' 1 lb CANS of IMR powders. They are UNopened- Factory Sealed -**but 20+ yrs. old. They have ALWAYS been stored in my house with AC & Heat stable.

What should I do ?

A. open and check for any sign of deterioration .
---obviously dispose of any going bad.---

B. open and transfer to DARK PLASTIC containers.

C. Leave alone - cans aren't rusting at all.

D. Other --

**IF I remember correctly I've only had ONE can to show signs of deterioration...some years ago.

Your Help Will be Greatly Appreciated.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/04/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
B U M P-- Still Looking.

Originally Posted by jwall
Mr. Denton -- please.

I have 'several' 1 lb CANS of IMR powders. They are UNopened- Factory Sealed -**but 20+ yrs. old. They have ALWAYS been stored in my house with AC & Heat stable.

What should I do ?

D. Other --

**IF I remember correctly I've only had ONE can to show signs of deterioration...some years ago.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Apparently Mr. D is not talking to me. grin
This is a serious question to me. I've never been concerned about the condition of my powder SINCE I've KEPT it in ATMOSPHERICALLY controlled conditions.

Does ANYONE have a sincere recommendation/s.

What should I do ?

D. Other --

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I doubt there will be a problem with your powder.

If I was concerned, I'd open the cans. If there is red dust throw it away. If no red dust put it back on the shelf and use as needed. That's what I'd do.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
I doubt there will be a problem with your powder.

If I was concerned, I'd open the cans. If there is red dust throw it away. If no red dust put it back on the shelf and use as needed. That's what I'd do.

This is exactly what I have done. And I made a note on the bottom of the can with a sharpie pen the date that I checked the can, for future reference,

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Nifty & Bugger

As I said I've never been concerned because of
1. New
2. Factory Sealed
3. NO rust at all
4. Atmosphere controlled

BUT being over 20 yrs old-- Denton's link - it made me wonder. I probably will check 1 can BUT I like the idea of them still being FACTORY SEALED.

???? Questions ?? Questions ??

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had some powder that showed signs of going bad. Their grades began to slip and they started hanging out in pool halls and other disreputable dives. I even found some rolling papers and other paraphernalia under the caps of a couple.

I put them in with the Improved Military Rifle powders and they straightened right up...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

Denton's post was something he found on the Internet. It does not make him the judge of your powder's condition.

That's up to you. Check it and see if there are any indications of deterioration.

I have a bunch of different powders, some as old as the 1950's. Have dumped very few over the years, maybe 2-3 pounds. I haven't found whether the containers have been left factory-sealed a factor, but then I live in a dry climate.

I also tend to close containers tightly as soon as I've dispensed enough for that reloading session, then dump the leftover powder back in the container again ASAP afterward. This isn't so much to prevent moisture entering but to reduce evaporation, because drying of powder can affect burn-rate--and drying can happen quickly in my climate.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D
Point well taken. smile

I respect your opinion very much due to your years of use (abuse grin ) and experience. I don't know that Factory Seals actually make much difference or not but having NEVER been open and the Seals unbreached....'SEEMED' a good idea.

I lived in Hammond La. until 4/86..so these new powders were bought in Little Rock and have been IN S Central Ark ever since. When powder prices started to rocket up, I bought ALL I could AFFORD of the powders I used. The highest price I paid was 15.95 per, some for less.

I have lb cans of** I listed several then edited out** also some H in plastic bottles. At the time I was shooting, grouping, graphing, AND hunting ALOT ! ! That went on for several years. Since 2000 I mostly load/shoot for load development, graphing, hunting and some practice.

I have other powders opened & older that I use therefore it's easy to check their condition. So Far So Good.

I too learned to RE seal the cans very tight (ly) a long time ago.

The IDEA of powders Self Igniting was eye opening...therefore ?? smirk

Thank You for your response & advice. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

The IDEA of powders Self Igniting was eye opening...therefore ?? smirk

This has me thinking I do not want to store powder in the proximity of other powder. Can't figure out my next move.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
R R

I don't have any idea about that either. OTOH, I've been storing powders 'together' in my house since the 70s w/o any issues. That's over 40 yrs but it only takes 1 time.

I don't think there IS a good answer. I am NOT going to start worrying about it.

Good Luck to you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wasn't really expecting an answer, Jerry. I was jokin.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The first sign of bad powder is the faint odor of demon piss. From there, all skill is in vain. (I read that somewhere.)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've had two cans of IMR 4007 that were not in the recall numbers develop a strong acrid smell-tossed them and a can of AA 2495 that I discovered after finding some 308 loads that had turned black-bullets & brass-and they were loaded in 2015. Pulled the bullets and the end was green, tossed it and the brass was damaged. Kept bullets and dumped AA 2495 & AA 4350-strong smell. Beware the AA stick powders.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Meathunter44
... Kept bullets and dumped AA 2495 & AA 4350-strong smell. Beware the AA stick powders.

Thanks for the heads up.

IF/IF there was not something else that started the decomp.
I don't know and am NOT saying there was.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a few years ago a friend and i came across a large amount of french 30.06 ball ammo, made circa 1953. It had been stored in a garage in phoenix, uninsulated since then. We are talking really hot summer temp's.
the brass was no good, but powder and bullets pulled.
reloaded in modern brass.
The reloaded rounds were fired over a chrony. About 15fps variation in the rounds, worked just fine.
On the other hand, from the same place i disposed of some pound cans of powder, where it had eaten through the can.
i used a gas mask when messing with that stuff for disposal.
The gentleman had a bunch of 38special brass, which he had sized and primed but not loaded. That had been in boxes since the 60's. I have since put powder and a projectile in a bunch of that stuff, haven't had a misfire yet. Those primers were still good.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,273 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.