Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have Savage in 17 HMR. I bought them for killing critters that mess up around the house and harass my cat, racoons, possum, etc. The 17 HMR left me with too many runners. I got very frustrated. Eventually, I got mad and bought a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Mag. The gun is plenty accurate and I have not lost a single animal since I began using the 22 Mag. I save the 17 now for plinking and messing around. For serious critter control that 22 Mag cannot be beat.

Had the Ruger American rifle been on the market at the time I probably would have bought the less expensive RAR instead. But, I am really glad I got what i have. The rifle is built like a tank.

Last edited by Gladesman; 12/11/16.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I really like Magnum Research's semi-auto 22mag. I've also got an early Ruger SS boat paddle w/green inserts. Both shoot the 30gn Hornady well. I see the newer MR semi-autos come with a sticker that says no 30gn bullets, however, mine shoots and cycles them just fine. I replaced the complete trigger group with a Timney that incorporates the mag release under the trigger guard.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my Marlin XT-22 mag. I may get the .17 HMR too. I've been thinking about it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gladesman
I have Savage in 17 HMR. I bought them for killing critters that mess up around the house and harass my cat, racoons, possum, etc. The 17 HMR left me with too many runners. I got very frustrated. Eventually, I got mad and bought a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Mag. The gun is plenty accurate and I have not lost a single animal since I began using the 22 Mag. I save the 17 now for plinking and messing around. For serious critter control that 22 Mag cannot be beat.

Had the Ruger American rifle been on the market at the time I probably would have bought the less expensive RAR instead. But, I am really glad I got what i have. The rifle is built like a tank.

Were you just using the 17 gr VMax bullets?

I've found the 20 grain Game Point and the 20 grain FMJ are a dramatic step up when the animal gets bigger... but these are shots of 100 yds or less...

but its also ALL about shot placement...I'm doing head shots...

Some of the other bullets I mention, I think it has much more to do with bullet design, than just the extra 3 grains being any difference....

Know a few locals who've taken down deer with a 17 HMR... but these were those raiding their apple trees, and were head shots into the ear, from a solid rest and an unsuspecting deer...

instead of " don't try this at home"... home is the only place to really try it...

For me, still the best bullets for the 22 Mag, are the old CCI 40 grain Solids or FMJ....for putting down a deer hit by a car, even out past a 100 yds, in 30 something years, my Marlin 25MN has put down over a dozen deer, that have been hit by cars...

head shots...immediately dropped like a sack of bricks...

walk up to them, and the first thing I always noticed was the ear drums bulged out of the ears... shake their head and it was like hearing water in a rubber boot...

I;m hoping under Trump, we'll start to see those 22 Mag bullets showing up... I am sure the older types have been hoarded by those in the know of their effectiveness...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Oh, I really hope you are wearing your nomex underwear. 17HMR panties really get wound up when you say the 22 magnum kills critters better. I've also seen it first hand when 17HMR is being used side by side with the 22 magnum on yotes. It's pretty decisive who the clear winner is there... Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Popped a half dozen 250 pound hogs in the head with one this morning when we were butchering. Dropped 'em like a stone. Thought about letting them out of the trailer...wasn't feeling that sporting. Liked the rifle real well, maybe I outta put a 640D Chuckster on my Christmas list.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
FMJ's aren't needed for deer out of the .22 mag... The 40 gr, Winchester JHP'S shoot right through their heads and churn their brains to custard out to 75 yards. They kill deer pretty quick with lung shots too and will penetrate completely through the lung cavity of 100- 140 lb. deer with broadside shots. Sometimes they exit and sometimes you find a nicely mushroomed bullet against the hide on the far side. I don't see how 50 grain bullets would be needed on coyotes either as I've shot those same 40 gr Winchesters completely through coyotes numerous times.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just picked up an WW 94-22 mag. Only shot a few jacks with it, but the little I tried testing different ammo, all shot very well.. Some of it shot super.. My CZ is a constant companion in the spring and summer.. the 94 may give it a run for its money, but it is in pretty good condition, so I am sure I will baby it some..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seafire,

I've seen hogs drop in their tracks, shot with the .17 HMR. I agree with you, the best ammo for hogs is FMJ. Walmart had it in the past.

I got FMJ ammo for my .22 WMR T-Bolt, had to order it on line. Haven't had this gun long enough to try it out on hogs. But, it should do well. The "T" is a bit faster than a convential bolt.

To me, hogs seem tougher targets than deer, so I'd probably stick with FMJ's. I've never killed a deer with a rimfire, no need. I have too many good centerfire deer rifles to even consider otherwise.

Our local Cajun "after hours harvesters of fine venison" prefer the .22 WMR. They shoot between the two bright eyes illuminated by mega candle power torches... blush

They power up big on lumens, stick with the basics for "hunting"...

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Speaking of hog butchering time, my dad was the frugal sort. .22 shorts between the eyes is all you need to kill a hog. As I recall, hog killing occurred first really cold spell, usually with ice on the ground. I used to wrap the butcher knives to avoid slipping and hurting myself with one on the way to the barn.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Oh, I really hope you are wearing your nomex underwear. 17HMR panties really get wound up when you say the 22 magnum kills critters better. I've also seen it first hand when 17HMR is being used side by side with the 22 magnum on yotes. It's pretty decisive who the clear winner is there... Just sayin..

I've been a fan of the HMR since it came out in 2002, BUT I'm not exactly blind to the fact that the WMR's heavier bullets kill better, IF you can hit what you're shooting at. The HMR is a heckuva lot better at HITTING stuff, though.

My old Marlin, with favored lots of ammo, is a consistent, everyday, 5/8" shooting rifle. Not an exaggeration, everyday. I've not seen a WMR that can do that at 50 yards, let alone 100 like my HMR. Maybe they exist, but I'm not privy to them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
22 mag a big step up from 22LR

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
22 mag a big step up from 22LR

+1

It is.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.22 LR when you want to plink and .22 WMR when you want to hunt.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 22magnut, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 13,931 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,133
Posts18,542,421
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.