Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Actually, it never went over 41 that day, lol.

Opposite issue coming up, though....highs around 20 for Thurs/Fri. Trying to decide if I want to do the cutting tomorrow evening after work, or wait till it goes to the upper 30's and softens up again on Saturday.

I'd prefer to let her hang a bit longer. I have a spare fridge out in the shed. Might take her down to quarters and stuff them in there to ride out the cold spell. Shouldn't freeze in there if I shut the fridge and leave it turned off, I'd think.

GB1

S
S
Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

Motorcycle owner, part time truck driver, part time Blogger

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
I'm wondering if it was a "scarring" from something like pneumonia.

No smell to her, none of the lesions I see in pics of deer with Bovine TB, none of the signs/symptoms of CWD or EHD.

Outwardly a big, fat, healthy doe, perfect for the freezer. Tons of internal fat, as you'd hope to see on a doe at this time of year, too.

The PA Game Commission has a regional headquarters not far from here. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. If they don't know of anything that would be an issue, she's getting processed as normal. It seems they're trying to stay abreast of disease issues in the deer herd, and if this doesn't trip any alarms for them, I'm figuring she's good to go.

Their ideas might be interesting.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
I feel better now. Just get sketchy when something looks weird.

She's hanging in the cold temps we're enjoying for now. It won't get too warm in the extended forecast, other than right now it's edging into the middle 40's for about 4 hours today and then going down again. Given she's been hanging over 24 hours in temps from 25-35 so far, I think she's cold enough to sustain 3-4 hours of 46-47 degrees ok, and then it gets colder. I may have to do the cutting sooner than I wanted...supposed to have highs in the low 20's at the end of the week. I was hoping to just leave her hang till Saturday, but she might freeze before than, and that's a pain in the butt. I've dealt with a deer-sickle before, and it's no fun.

But regardless, she'll get cut and packed as intended from the trigger pull.

One more deer needed to make mama happy that we're properly stocked till next fall....gonna need the flintlock to make that happen, but I love flintlock season, and I usually can get a shot or two in the late season, so hopefully I make good on it and we're all set.

Temps..

Carolyn shot a trash 8 the other night. It was 50 degrees. Gutted and let hang. Got to 43 by 10pm. Then it was 53 when I got up to head hunting. She slept in. Texts me around 9am... yes it is warm.. it had warmed to 62. Skinned and put in the cooler by 1030 AM. Will be on ice for 7 days minimum now. I'm not worried at all...

Jeff, do you salt the ice any? Also, do you let the meat sit in the ice water or keep the meat above the water, please. Thanks, jag.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Processed the deer last night into straps, loins, roasts and trim meat to be ground later.

Nothing unusual noted in the meat. No smell, nothing visually amiss.

I shot this one with a 300WSM with a 180gr Nosler Partition moving out fairly quick. I pulled the hide and decided it was worth getting a picture.

Not that this is surprising in the least for a Partition, but this is why I shoot them....

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It should be ok

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If one still has any concerns, I'd suggest contacting a large animal vet. Over time, they've probably seen it all.

If no satisfaction there, maybe a USDA inspector at a kill plant.

There should be someone about familiar with the specifics.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm good with everything at this point.

Talking to the Game Commission biologist, he told me that the area I'm in is monitored for disease in the deer herd. Nothing has been found to date, including this year. He couldn't tell me exactly what caused what I saw, but said there is nothing he's aware of that would make the deer unfit for consumption, unless I saw anything out of the ordinary when processing the meat.

I observed nothing consistent with any published photos of diseased deer with things like EHD, CWD, or bovine TB. No smell to the meat, no puss, no lesions. Only thing wrong with her was the hole in her lungs my bullet made, and all that connective tissue.

The biologist said from speaking to the vet they work with, that it may be a deer that had or recovered from pneumonia, but said the deer would be in physically worse condition than I described. She had over 1/2" of fat on her hind quarters/back (where deer store their thick fat deposits), tons of abdominal cavity fat, and was generally a very healthy looking deer over all.

So...she's processed, vacuum-packed, and packed into my freezer. smile

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
we have a USDA inspected butcher shop in central PA. We see this occasionally in pigs and beef. It comes from pneumonia at some point in there lives. Inspectors make us trim the inside of the ribs and good to go. Seems like some animals do fine with it and some are just not as good a specimen as they should have been.

Barry

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have harvested more whitetails than most on average 10 - 20 annually and have noticed several times that the lungs came out in pieces and had to be removed from the rib cage.

I don't open the sternum on a whitetail preferring to keep the hair flying to a minimum during the skinning and butchering process. I have never noticed the connecting tissue difference only that the lungs and heart upon cutting the esophagus and aorta did not just peal out in one piece.

All have been used as acceptable table fare.

I would not worry in the slightest.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

Bob

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.