Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got the LEM #12 Big Bite grinder and I used it to stuff LEM burger bags for the first time tonight. I've got the foot switch so the machine didn't run the whole time. But it was a PITA - I had to push down on the stomper with almost all of my weight. I used the largest plastic stuffing tube that came with the machine and the three-oval plate. Would the 2" stainless steel tube make this process more enjoyable? I can't imagine trying to stuff sausages with the grinder - thank goodness I have a 15 lb. capacity cast iron sausage stuffer.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/aluminum-stuffing-tubes/all-sausage-products I use these to fill the plastic 2lb bags . Works very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
selmer, I have the LEM #12 as well and have stuffed them with not a lot of trouble but have since gone to a designated stuffer with stainless tubes. Much more operator friendly.

Did you lube the inside of your tubes ? I like to do that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I picked up an older non-big bite lem #8 and stuffed burger for the first time and I thought it went well enough compared to my past methods. Debating if the big bite is worth the update or going to a #12 if you could feed it fast enough.

I didn't have a foot switch, but just bought one.

I used the biggest plastic tube like you and thought it was alright, but will invest $20 for the 2 inch tube. It may save meat mushing or heating by pushing it out faster.

Things I observed working alone:
get the grinder lower so you can stuff harder
get a foot switch
I couldn't feed that #8 fast enough working alone (I recently made brats on a old #22 and it wasnt greatly faster even with a friend feeding it)
Get a friend to help feed it.

Last edited by humdinger; 12/13/16.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Troutnut
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/aluminum-stuffing-tubes/all-sausage-products I use these to fill the plastic 2lb bags . Works very well.

I'm going to get the stainless version of this for stuffing bags.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
IC B2

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger
I have a lem #8 and stuffed burger for the first time and I thought it went well enough compared to my past methods.

Going to spend $20 for the 2 inch tube.

I think the best way to make stuffing go better... Have a helper.

I had a helper, thank goodness! My 11 y/o daughter was running the bag end of the operation while I fed the grinder and shoved it through the neck with the stomper with all of my weight behind it. I've got a few tricks I need to try next time that I picked up from a Facebook group - The Salt Cured Pig. One would be fine grinding straight into the bag instead of fine grinding, then trying to feed it back through. The auger doesn't pick up the fine ground burger very well, while the coarse ground burger feeds quite nicely.

Selmer

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by humdinger
I have a lem #8 and stuffed burger for the first time and I thought it went well enough compared to my past methods.

Going to spend $20 for the 2 inch tube.

I think the best way to make stuffing go better... Have a helper.

I had a helper, thank goodness! My 11 y/o daughter was running the bag end of the operation while I fed the grinder and shoved it through the neck with the stomper with all of my weight behind it. I've got a few tricks I need to try next time that I picked up from a Facebook group - The Salt Cured Pig. One would be fine grinding straight into the bag instead of fine grinding, then trying to feed it back through. The auger doesn't pick up the fine ground burger very well, while the coarse ground burger feeds quite nicely.

I edited my reply, but only stuffing on the second grind would help because the meat has more body for the auger to grab. plus it saves a step.

getting the grinder lower really helped.

Guys here told me I should get a 12... not sure if I will because Im usually working alone. I think you could out pace the 8 if your feeder person is aggressive and/or you have a lot of meat to process.

Last edited by humdinger; 12/13/16.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by Troutnut

I'm going to get the stainless version of this for stuffing bags.

Pass on your source for a SS tube when you find one...

I can get Lem aluminum tubes for $20 at a local store. Amazon has several SS ones that will be about $28 after shipping.

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
LEM makes a stainless steel tube for $30. Where are the Amazon ones? I found some, but they were about $50 after shipping and didn't qualify for Amazon Prime.

Selmer

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Selmer

IC B3

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The #12 is just right for my meat grinding team. In fact, the grinder out paces us once in a while on the first grind - I can't feed the trim pieces into the pan fast enough. Second grind is usually just right. I'll be curious to try stuffing bags on the fine grind using the 2" stainless steel stuffing tube to see if it works better. I have a feeling it will.

Selmer

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
go into amazon and search "meat stuffing tubes"...

https://www.amazon.com/size-Grinder...;sr=8-4&keywords=meat+stuffing+tubes

Under $25 with the shipping. Havent looked at ratings yet

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to check our local Mills Fleet Farm for the 2" stainless tube. If they have it, I'll get that one. If they don't, I'll buy this one on Amazon.

Selmer

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mills has aluminum ones on the shelf $19.99

(lakeville MN store)

Report back if you find SS there

Last edited by humdinger; 12/14/16.

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Aluminum only here too. If the aluminum works ok for you, I'll just grab that one and give it a shot.

Selmer

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Supposedly aluminum can pit...

Or at least that's what the label on the side of the smaller SS tubes said.

How much or what caustic stuff would a hunter run through to do that in your lifetime???

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
No problems with pitting in mine in 12 years or so of use . Do 4-5 deer a year plus a few hogs for sausage.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use a 1 hp cabelas grinder, and do a course grind, mix in the fat, and then do a second course grind and bag it with the biggest sausage stuff attachment.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I use a 1 hp cabelas grinder, and do a course grind, mix in the fat, and then do a second course grind and bag it with the biggest sausage stuff attachment.

How does the texture compare with doing a fine grind on the second grind? I often thought most burger is ground to small but never experimented yet.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How does the texture compare with doing a fine grind on the second grind? I often thought most burger is ground to small but never experimented yet.

It depends on what you are trying to do. Finer second grind, makes the meat stick together when making a patty.
On another note, I mix my meat and fat together, season, let sit in fridge overnight then grind both at the same time. The seasoned meat will cure, for lack of a better word, and the texture will be different on the first grind. Also it seems to me the seasoning is better mixed throughout. Never tried putting into bags when grinding. I use a twist top, gallon bag, that can be had for pennies each, put by ground meat into them, then make a roll with the top of the bag just rolled not tied. I then put several in a vacuum sealer bag and seal. By not tying the top,it pushes all of the air out of each bag of grind, and then when ready to use, I cut the top, take out a bag, reseal what is left. If you take the meat out of the vacuum bag while frozen, they can be reused. I do cuts of loin and large muscles from the ham the same way, stew meat too. I put large hunks in whole and slice when ready to use. I think it makes the meat last better. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.