Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
How about Express Scripts? They do a bang-up job for me.

Big +1

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Unless it's something I need NOW for a cold and such, all prescriptions are via mail order.

This^^^^^

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by hanco
I hate CVS

When Walgreens opened up across the the street from CVS, I went there to check prices. My monthly meds cost $124 at CVS, $62 at Walgreens. HALF! Even less with their savings plan.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Tricare/military retiree pharmacy program just dropped CVS too. Had to transfer my prescription to RiteAid to get my next refill. They sent a letter out saying they wouldn't pay for any refills after Dec 1st even on current presriptions.

Looks like CVS is losing a lot of insurance business.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Originally Posted by hanco
I hate CVS

When Walgreens opened up across the the street from CVS, I went there to check prices. My monthly meds cost $124 at CVS, $62 at Walgreens. HALF! Even less with their savings plan.

Basically the same here. CVS and Walgreens right across from each other. I went to CVS to get my abx for Lyme and just the one was $105. I said ill be back. Walked over to Walgreens and got all 3 filled for $32.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
We've used Express Scripts for years now with complete satisfaction. For meds that are a one time fill we use Walmart and on occasion CVS. The wife takes care of all that stuff, so whatever keeps her happy. Biggest PITA is getting the Dr's office to take care of Rx renewals.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife has a diabetic dog that needs insulin twice a day. Insulin is non-prescription but you still have to buy it from a pharmacy. At Walmart, it costs $24 for a 1000 unit bottle. The next lowest price anywhere starts at $90 goes up. Also, Walmart's syringes are less than half the price of anywhere else.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My work often takes me away from home weeks or months at a time, so Walmart/Sam's Clubs have been good for me. I can get my meds at any of them that happen to be close. The west Tx Walmarts were a real pain during the last oil boom with slow service and long lines but everywhere else were easy and cheap.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My work often takes me away from home weeks or months at a time, so Walmart/Sam's Clubs have been good for me.

Funny that back when I was working and on the road a lot, I checked with Walmart, and they told me that I had to get the medicine at the same store as the original prescription. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byc
I won't go into Walmart for anything. Even if it's free.

I second that.

Jim

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Average cost-to the pharmacy-to fill a prescription at one of the chains is just over $10. This includes wages, benefits, rent-square foot rent at at Walmart, Rite-aid, etc isn't cheep-etc. All before you factor in the actual drug cost. Average mark-up on prescriptions across the board is 5%. Some they do well but on average 5%.

Try going into a business that makes 5% on a $100 plus item and see how much fun it is trying to make a go of it. Then again if it only costs a $1. on average you make a .05. Woopie that.

The chains make it up on the "other" things you buy. Cosmetics, health care aids, cheap umbrellas, pop, candy, food, etc.

The insurance companies run the prescription game for the most part and set the prices. One of the reasons the government wants to get their hand into the pie.

Drug prices like most things in the medical field are out of control. $500,000,000 to bring a new drug to market and the drug companies have to recoup not only the ones that make it to market, but also the costs for those that don't.

Why are the little independent pharmacies becoming a thing of the past? Doesn't seem like any here are helping them out. Easy, there isn't any money to be made in the game.

Last edited by battue; 12/13/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by milespatton
My work often takes me away from home weeks or months at a time, so Walmart/Sam's Clubs have been good for me.

Funny that back when I was working and on the road a lot, I checked with Walmart, and they told me that I had to get the medicine at the same store as the original prescription. miles

We generally use a regional chain and up until a few years ago that was the way it was; you had to go to the location where you originally filled the Rx for refills. Now you can go to any of their stores. I think it's all part of the growing online dynamic. Most physicians I go to don't do paper scripts any more. They send it to the pharmacy online and it's ready for pick-up when I get there.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If for no other reason it might be worth it for some to look into getting a Sam's Club "PLUS" membership just for their special drug price discount program for "PLUS" members with some drugs free.

The discount website, Groupon, has had a promotional offer running for a while now for new Sam's Club memberships at 1/2 price.

http://resources.samsclub.com/health-and-wellness/pharmacy-and-health/Extra-Value-Drug-List.aspx

Drug list by condition with prices: http://resources.samsclub.com/healt...ExtraValueDrugList_PDF_English_Condition

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
CVS also has much higher prices on most otc meds and often only has them in larger amounts. Who normally needs a 4-6 lb bag of epsom salts.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Wife decided on Safeway for the traffic/panhandler aspect, for right now. There are lots of stupid drdivers, and a gamut of panhandlers at a few stores close by. We were surprised at the prices on a few items in the store. The Sams is too far and bad traffic for a little old woman to drive to, Costco is worse. If Safeway is too high we will change again. Usually I pick up the meds anyway. The one thing with the old Target is they know the wife and me and know everything about the meds she gets. I will stick with Wallmart for my one pill.

Thanks for the input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
How about Express Scripts? They do a bang-up job for me.

I have been using Express Scripts for almost 2 years. I have multiple prescriptions on automatic refill. I have yet to not have a problem with at least 2 meds. My prescriptions are written for a year all at the same time. They can never seem to get it right. I get messages that the prescription has expired 2 months after all prescriptions have been renewed. They can never seem to contact my physician's office, phone or fax, same physician I have had for about 10 years. I am stuck with them because 2 of my prescriptions would be prohibitively expensive at regular pharmacies. Not much choice due to insurance plan.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have Humana Walmart RX coverage and use the mail order for recurring prescriptions. Cost is 0 for tier one drugs. If it is a one time prescrip we use Walmart. Works just fine.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
HI:

I do have to admit upfront that I did not read all the replies. If this is a dupe, sorry. Anyway, most all doctor offices have a credit card sized discount thing that DOES help. In my experience, Walmart + that card saved me money. There are likely dozens of names on the cards but they are dead free and one just needs presentit when ordering. I was surprised at the disco's on my maint meds...

Patty

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I rarely have to take any kind of RX but when I do I use Costco and have found they darn near give them away.

I think my last script was 39 cents for 200 of something to help a skin rash. And as I recall they do mail order. Or maybe it was home delivery.

Whatever it was I'm sold.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
HI:

I do have to admit upfront that I did not read all the replies. If this is a dupe, sorry. Anyway, most all doctor offices have a credit card sized discount thing that DOES help. In my experience, Walmart + that card saved me money. There are likely dozens of names on the cards but they are dead free and one just needs presentit when ordering. I was surprised at the disco's on my maint meds...

Patty

Well, we are glad to hear you are on maintenance medication, for sure. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.