Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinking of making this trip, kinda worried about tearing up the old Airstream if the road's rough.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The worst part is always the stretch from the border into Glenallenn. My niece is driving it now from Idaho and says it is good.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had friend drive up last week stretch between ft Nelson and Watson lake was whit knuckle driving he said due to a bad storm and snow. Another fella I know is in ft St. John for the night they are going to try and make it Watson lake tomorrow. Said so far roads been good. I agree with Sitka the Tok hwy cut off is a mess frost heaves real bad ones I might add.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Father in Law did towing a car down here in August and towed an empty enclosed trailer up in September. Said he hadn't done it in years and its in better shape but still wasn't going over 55

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Should have mentioned this will be a summer trip and not a quick jaunt. At that time I'll be a retired grandpa & driving like one.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
roads are good either through BC or Alberta from Dawson Creek to ft Nelson good shape ,above that i don't know.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drove it this summer in my Ford Fusion and the road was in pretty good shape.. the worse part was from destruction bay to beave creek doing some major road work. But looks like they got that all finished up. As stated the worse parts are in Alaska .

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Never been there

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A coworker from South Louisiana drove to Fairbanks in August and he was surprised at how good the road was. He said it was good.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Been over it 14 times and as long as you have a brain its no problem. The frost heaves can be bad in and close to Alaska . Hers where the brain comes in. SLOW DOWN .Beautiful drive. ED K

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anybody ever drive it in the summer and check out fishing spots on the way?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=ingwe]Anybody ever drive it in the summer and check out fishing spots on the way? [/qu

there's some good fishing in BC rivers but you need to talk nice to the locals to find them,,,90% of the people up there are transient oil patch guys .

good luck

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anybody ever drive it in the summer and check out fishing spots on the way?

Yup. As noted, the locals will know the spots. Stop at the roadhouses and spend a little time. You'll be pleasantly surprised at what you can learn and do. Not many folks take the time and most of the roadhouse folks enjoy sharing with travelers.

As to the OP, please, please, PLEASE do not let traffic back up behind you as you take your time driving the AlCan. Most of the highway is fully capable of 60mph and there are folks who need to get from Point A to Point B asap.
Slowing traffic down to enjoy your trip is great, but it is discourteous and just flat illegal in places.
In Alaska, it is illegal to have five or more vehicles backed up behind you. Pull over at the first available place and let everyone pass, then carry on. Thank you!

BTW, we're showing our age just referring to it by that name blush , it's now called the "Alaska Highway"

If you haven't already done so, buy a copy of "The Milepost". It's a mile-by-mile (or kilometer-by-kilometer in Canada) guide to everything along the Alaska Highway as well as major alternate routes in Alberta, BC, Yukon Territory, and throughout Alaska. It's an invaluable resource for figuring out where attractions, services, and fishing spots are located along the road system.

The fastest I've ever driven the Alaska Highway was three days from US Border to US Border. The longest, from Border to Border, was a week.
Take at least ten days, drive the Cassair Highway, make sure to go to Banff!!!, and be careful when ordering breakfast in some of the smaller roadhouses. The portions will astound you.
A "Short Stack" of pancakes in one place was the size of a three-layer cake!

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 12/15/16. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a fine highway, but there are always stretches under construction/repair. With a trailer in tow, there'd be no reason to do a "hurry up" should one encounter a rough stretch. Just slow a bit and quit when it suits you.

Some heaving south of Watson Lake caused us to slightly slow in our long bed crew cab Ford. Had I been in my somewhat lighter sports car, it would have been fun to push it there.

View property all the way, and Milepost is a must.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/15/16.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Drove it in march. Easy drive except for just a few gravel spots.

+1 on The Milepost.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad we did banff once, not sure I'd go again, but I damn sure am going to do the Cassiar once in my life, if I live that long.

Almost wears me out starting to think about driving up and back every year in the future... 5 day generally speaking would be rough. From here to Delta.

Maybe going to have to haul stuff up once or twice and leave the vehicles there and fly back a couple months in teh winters...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My brother once drove from Fairbanks to Bottineau North Dakota in 49 hours. Thats when it was gravel. I never tried to beat that time. ED K

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
46 RTs or thereabouts and again this March.

Take your time and stop often to enjoy scenery.
Toad River/Muncho area is still crooked but very scenic.
Most all of the surface is good with worst being Kluane to
Beaver Creek as it's all muskeg and permafrost country.
The frost heaves in that area could raise hell with trailers and hitches so slow down.

I've often watched travelers go like hell to get to Alaska to park next to another tourist. WTH

Atlin is worth driving into.....60 miles dead end.

Whitehorse is an interesting town even though it has become more green and gay.

Take a different route back.....Top Of The World Highway is interesting.....take the Haines cut-off and a short ferry ride to Skagway for another piece of scenery.

Don't overload your trailer!. We have stores in Alaska.

Last edited by VernAK; 12/15/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last time ( only time ) was as a kid in the back seat of a super cab 350 with a camper on the back ( yes damnit , both ways ) . First 100 miles was paved , rest good hard dirt / gravel / whatever they used to bind it . 'Cept when it rained , 3" slop and hard road underneath.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Anyone every done the Alaska Maritime highway back on the return leg? Getting plans ready for a couple of years out. It would be great to some days on the ferry and land for a trip down the west coast. Could be a premier excursion.

John(dog)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1936M71, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,648
Posts18,474,603
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.