Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have heard and seen that meat that gets cooled quickly and goes in to rigors then seems to stay that way. Usually it is warm enough for the meat to go through this and then relax. I have heard this will result in tougher meat but have no way to test this easy.

When this happens should the meet be hung longer or aged in an ice chest? I am trying the latter now and it seems to have worked some at about day four in the cooler with the drain plug open.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most often, the concern with aging meat is with its being flaccid.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Most often, the concern with aging meat is with its being flaccid.

I think this should be in the other thread, regarding the little blue pill...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tejano,

There are a couple of related phenomena, one called "cold shortening" and the other "thaw rigor."

What you especially want to avoid is the meat freezing before it goes into rigor mortis (thaw rigor), but simply cooling down too quickly can also cause "cold shortening," even if the meat doesn't freeze. Either causes the meat to stay tough even if it's aged meat considerably.

I learned about it after hanging a young mule deer buck up in the open during a day down near zero, in a pretty stiff wind, one morning many years ago. The buck was field-dressed but not skinned, and froze solid by evening. After thawing the buck out and "aging" it for a week, even the backstraps were tough!

The big trick is to prevent the meat from chilling below about 60 degrees for the first 10-12 hours, and then not freezing until it comes out of rigor.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hm. So that's why my cousin and I were taught by our fathers to get deer hanging in a garage or shed quickly. Both dads worked processing meat commercially at one time or another so we just accepted it as the way it's to be done. Was always mystified by people commenting here on tough venison.

To add, we were also taught to let it hang at least a couple days before skinning to make it easier, and age with the hide on if you're going to do that.

Last edited by nighthawk; 12/16/16.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's one of the reasons for tough venison. Another is actually butchering the meat during rigor mortis, which some people do, and it ruins even what should be super-tender meat. Was once in a deer camp where a self-described game-meat expert was going to feed us some great stuff. He took filets, the little "underloins" from the bottom of the spine, that were still in vigor, sliced them up, then cooked them well-done in a too-cool frying pan, so they were nice and gray all the way through. They were tougher than jerky, but didn't taste nearly as good.

Game birds respond the same way. A lot of people cook' 'em immediately, while they're still in rigor, and make them nice and chewy. Aging for a few days helps, partly because it allows them time to come out of rigor. But it really helps older birds, whether a rooster pheasant, big gobbler or an old goose.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My meat has been aging confused

So far no rigamortis blush

How aged does this meat need to be?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always skinned, quartered and tossed deer in a cooler with frozen plastic jugs to age for about 4 days. Never really had any problems, summer through winter doing this and the meat has always turned out fine. Interesting.

What about squirrels? Do you age them as well?

How about hogs? I've always thought you needed to skin them and get them on ice ASAP because they spoil faster than other critters?

Last edited by 4winds; 12/16/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
4winds,

I'm not saying the process of cooling meat shouldn't start immediately, just that shouldn't be cooled super-quickly. Your technique is about right, since the plastic jugs of ice won't cool the meat rapidly, and rigor mortis normally dissipates within 24 hours or so. So you're essentially aging the meat for about 3 days after it cools and relaxes from rigor.

What happens during aging is enzymes naturally in the meat break down the collagen of the muscle cells. Collagen makes meat tougher, and increases as animals grow older, the reason big bucks are harder to chew than younger bucks. And the same is true of game birds.

But some animals naturally have less collagen in their muscles, including pigs and pronghorns, so don't require much aging.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting Mule Deer.. The Game and Fish have done some stuff on aging meat.. They also said antelope didn't need the aging process of deer and elk.. Always wondered why, but that explains it...

Molon Labe
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes nothing helps.I killed an old cow moose last year, and followed all the slow cooling practices. Then I hung her for two weeks in a walk in cooler at 38 degrees.She still is tough as shoe sole leather. Pressure cooking or grinding is the only way I can eat it. Ditto with a big older bull I killed in 2007.

I am in the "get the hide off immediately" camp.

I have hunted elk in later seasons that froze solid the night after I killed them that were just as tender as ones not.

I killed a bull in Alberta one day that froze solid that night, and thawed out on the way back to Colorado ,then froze again after processing. It was fairly tender.

I have noticed when processing elk with the no gut methods where the back strap/loins are removed fairly quick ,at least before rigor sets in that those back straps are tougher than past back straps when we quartered elk by splitting the spine and are usually tougher than the round steaks off the same elk.

I am certainly no expert and these are only my experiences with a lot of elk,not many deer,and others may vary.I think the animal's age has a lot more to do with it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, JB.

I've heard that pigs didn't really need much if any aging, didn't know about pronghorns being the same way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Game birds respond the same way. A lot of people cook' 'em immediately, while they're still in rigor, and make them nice and chewy. Aging for a few days helps, partly because it allows them time to come out of rigor. But it really helps older birds, whether a rooster pheasant, big gobbler or an old goose.

How long would you age them and at what temp?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Exactly! When we are quail hunting down here, we never ever fry up the quail we killed that day when preparing lunch. We always use "last week's" quail. Fresh killed quail will be tough!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
4winds,

We usually age birds a week in the refrigerator.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Game animals should be required to wear large signs denoting whether they have been eating grass or corn.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I have hunted elk in later seasons that froze solid the night after I killed them that were just as tender as ones not.

I killed a bull in Alberta one day that froze solid that night, and thawed out on the way back to Colorado ,then froze again after processing. It was fairly tender.

Sometimes it's simply not possible to keep carcasses from freezing within a few hours of being killed. Hunting in -30F or colder tends to freeze anything and everything solid within a few hours after dressing or deboning...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I and my family ate deer for a few years that we didn't really prefer. Didn't know why. By accident I learned to age the deer BEFORE butchering and especially freezing.

It's too long of a story to detail. Out of necessity I took a buck to a processor and he said it'd be ready in a week. Ok, thot he was backed up. NO.

After that I and my friends began aging deer before freezing and everyone PREFERED a lot.

I shared this with a friend in 1986 and 'converted' a WHOLE deer camp. They got Refrigerators instead of Freezers.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
saddlesore,

The age of the animal has a LOT to do with it, because of the collagen content, but so does the time of fall (before, during, after the rut), and the general condition of the animal. Was it a dry, hot summer or was there plenty rain and green feed? Etc. etc. Which is another reason it's more difficult to take care of wild meat, as opposed to domestic meat: They're all individuals, and the time of year can also be very different.

The biggest bull elk I ever killed was also very tough, even after two weeks of aging. But I gauged the aging by cutting off a chunk of backstrap every day or two and quick-frying it to see what progress (if any) was occurring. After three weeks, all of a sudden, I could feel the difference just when slicing the meat. He wasn't as tender as a young bull, but even his round steaks were reasonably chewable--far more than if we'd butchered him after only two weeks.

But some species are also more consistent. One of my dad's cousins was a rancher in Wyoming, and they killed antelope to eat all year round. It wasn't legal, but a lot of ranchers were like that back then--and he said antelope were the only wild hoofed animal that was consistently good to eat year-round. (And yes, he'd tried them all!)

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
John, what temperature do you try to age your meat?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 55 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.