Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[video:youtube]RoTXImRJS2k[/video]

University of Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon on Friday had his attorney make public the surveillance video that shows him punching another student, Amelia Molitor, in July 2014.

Mixon also had his attorney release a second surveillance video from the same night.

The second video shows other OU football players at Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe in Norman at the time of the incident.

"Mr. Mixon asked us to once again say he is sorry for the way he reacted that night. He has apologized publicly to Ms. Molitor, her friends, his family, teammates and the University," his attorney, Blake Johnson, wrote in a letter. "He hopes that his voluntary release of these recordings will help put this matter to rest."

The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled 8-1 on Dec. 6 that the video showing the punch is a public record. Justices said the city of Norman must release that video to the Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters.

The association had sued for access to that video under the Open Records Act. The video had not been released yet because the city of Norman was given 20 days to decide whether it wanted a rehearing on the issue.

"While Mr. Mixon is not a party to the OAB lawsuit and has not been directed by the Court to make any disclosure, he does not see any reason for the release of the recording at issue in that lawsuit to be delayed any longer," Johnson wrote in the letter.

"Further delay appears only to be generating unfounded speculation about what is shown in that video," the attorney wrote. "We also see no reason to withhold the second recording we received from Ms. Molitor's attorneys and so have included it as well."

One of Molitor's attorneys, Rusty Smith, criticized the timing of the release. He pointed out Molitor was going through graduation ceremonies at OU on Friday night. He suggested Mixon could have waited.

Molitor's attorneys long have had the videos themselves but made a decision not to release them. They had sought permission to argue to a Cleveland County judge that the video of the punch should not be released.

Smith said the decision not to release the videos themselves was made "so the evidence could be viewed by the court officials and a jury, as opposed to a public forum."

He also said, "The videos speak for themselves.”

By having the video of the punch released now, Mixon avoids the possibility it would be released by the city of Norman days before the Sugar Bowl and become a distraction to the team. OU plays Auburn on Jan. 2 in New Orleans.

Molitor, 22, is suing Mixon, 20, in Oklahoma City federal court for punching her in the face inside Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe early in the morning on July 25, 2014. U.S. District Judge Joe Heaton last month dismissed two of her three claims.

Mixon is raising a number of defenses to her remaining claim — intentional infliction of emotional distress. His attorneys assert, for instance, that Molitor "by her conduct contributed in whole or in part to any claimed loss or injuries."

Molitor "repeatedly instigated hostile conversations" with Mixon and his companions outside the cafe's front door, his attorneys wrote in an answer to the lawsuit.

Once inside, Molitor motioned to Mixon to approach her at the table where she was standing and she then "initiated further discussion" with him, his attorneys wrote in the answer filed Tuesday. Mixon overheard Molitor saying he and other black men were trying to jump her outside, the attorneys wrote.

Mixon also heard Molitor "and/or" members of her party use racial slurs in referring to him, his attorneys wrote.

Mixon "states he turned and attempted to leave the discussion and restaurant, but ... just as he did so, plaintiff lunged toward him and shoved him in the chest," his attorneys wrote.
Mixon "states that he then made an aggressive gesture toward Plaintiff in response and verbally warned her to leave him alone."

He states that she then placed her left hand on his chest and, with her right hand, struck him in the face, the attorneys wrote.

Mixon admitted that he then struck Molitor in the face.

In her lawsuit, Molitor states she and Mixon had a heated and animated discussion outside the cafe. She states Mixon initiated another discussion after he approached her and her friend inside the cafe. She states she was punched when she pushed him away from the table in an effort to end the discussion.

Her attorneys last week said in a news release any narrative that Molitor "spit on, punched and hurled racial slurs at a cornered man" is false. Her attorneys also dispute that Molitor was motioning to Mixon inside the cafe, saying Friday she actually was motioning to people at tables in front of her and to her left.

Molitor suffered fractured bones in her face. Mixon was suspended from the football team for a season and charged with a misdemeanor — acts resulting in gross injury.

Under a plea deal, he was put on probation for a year. He also was required to complete 100 hours of community service and undergo cognitive behavior counseling.

Mixon turned 18 on July 24, 2014, and was celebrating with teammates. The second surveillance video shows players Michiah Quick, Daniel Brooks and David Smith at the cafe.

Quick and Brooks leave at the same time as Mixon. Smith stays.

Quick, a cornerback, is no longer with the team because of rule violations. Brooks, a tailback, is no longer playing because of concussions. Smith, a tailback, transferred to Jacksonville State in 2015.

Contributing: Staff Writer Berry Tramel

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A return to the glory days of Barry Switzer?

And, once more, the total lack of situational awareness (on a large scale) on the part of yet another young woman.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
A return to the glory days of Barry Switzer? . . .

You mean these days? wink

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boys quick. Girl was a dumbazz.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
He was a dumb ass for not walking away. He never should have walked into that restaurant. Did anyone not tell him as a BMOC that he was living in a fishbowl?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
amelia,....AMELIA....man you shoulda been bobbin n weavin.!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

She may very well have been a dumbass but it didn't warrant that. He should have never followed her in. It also appears he was looking for a scrap with the skinny kid just before she pushed him.

As for the pussy guys in that place that let him walk out of there after he just knocked a chick out, they need to grow a pair of balls IMO

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Women want equality, but they wanna be able to pick and choose 'when' men and women are equal.

If that female had been a 150 lb guy, nobody would think twice if Mixon knocked him the hell out after the guy shoved him and slapped him in the face first like the female did...
despite Mixon's response 'still' being 'disproportionate' and despite him 'still' being 'much bigger and stronger'.

Equal rights for women…*until* it's inconvenient for em'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7

She may very well have been a dumbass but it didn't warrant that. He should have never followed her in. It also appears he was looking for a scrap with the skinny kid just before she pushed him.

As for the pussy guys in that place that let him walk out of there after he just knocked a chick out, they need to grow a pair of balls IMO

A valuable lesson was probably learned. I be she flinches now when anybody makes a sudden move...

Jumping in-between two half drunk idiots intent on beating the [bleep] out of each other, one of which is a jacked up Div 1 athlete, is a good way to end up in the ER. Too many Good Samaritans end up dead these days.

It's not like he was taking her purse at knifepoint. No way am I risking 5k worth of dental work because some drunk chick has never learned not to poke a bear with a stick..

You wanna be the Hero, be my guest..

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bob Stoops's true standards come into light with Joe Mixon video

Sports Illustrated
Lindsay Schnell
7 hours ago

So, Bob Stoops, was it worth it?

I watched the video Friday afternoon of Oklahoma Sooners running back Joe Mixon hitting Amelia Molitor, the video we’d all heard about for three years, the video you and your bosses watched and basically shrugged off. You remember that video, right? (You lucked out! If you don’t recall the details, it’s now available online for everyone to see. Here’s a link, if you don’t have one handy.) You all watched that video and decided that yes, this was a young man you wanted representing your program. You decided a redshirt season year’s suspension would help him get bigger/faster/stronger be sufficient punishment.

I watched Mixon’s fist connect with the side of Molitor’s head and I gagged reflexively. I thought I was going to throw up right there, in my car, in the Costco parking lot, as I watched this despicable act of violence play out. I’d heard it was bad, and jarring. It was so much worse than I imagined. But I swallowed the reality that women aren’t valued in our society, and kept watching, just like you, athletic director Joe Castiglione and president David Boren​ did a few years ago. No wonder so many people fought behind the scenes to keep this video under wraps. How can anyone move forward after this? Oh wait, I remember: You’re both scheduled to participate in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2.

Congratulations on going 21-4 with Mixon around, by the way. You have no national championship to show for it, but this type of success is what you were hoping for, right? You kept him because he was a good player (five stars, ranked No. 1 at his position nationally, with offers from nearly every top 25 school) not because he was some beacon of good citizenship. Had Mixon been a walk-on with no scholarship offers you would have kicked him off without a second thought, because a player like that isn’t helpful to you. Nah, this is about the bottom line, the win-loss record and hey, I get it. You’re paid a lot of money to win games and big-time football success typically translates into big-time money for schools. You’re just trying to hang onto your job, right?

What’s ironic, if you’ll indulge me for a moment, is that now this will be hanging on you forever. College programs center around the head coach, always, and you are the face of Oklahoma football—not Joe Mixon, who will be off to the NFL next month, not Castiglione, not Boren. This one is on you. Mixon can’t be punished again—and if he is, he’d have a great legal case against the university—and you’ve dodged or dismissed questions about this for over two years. Now that we’ve all been able to see what your standards really are, what will you say to defend them?

Probably you’ll say that we shouldn’t be surprised by any of this and if we’re being honest, I’m really not. That you, Castiglione and Boren prioritized the football team’s needs (evidently one good running back, Samaje Perine, is not enough) above the safety of your students, well heck, you guys have a history of that, as one of your other students astutely pointed out in the school newspaper last week. Your boss’s response was borderline comical in the way it breezed past concerns about Mixon or former receiver Dorial Green-Beckham. Of course, not respecting or valuing women is a problem at football programs across the country, from Mississippi State to Baylor to Tennessee to Florida State. You’re hardly the only example. You’re just the latest.

It seems feasible to take a stand like Charlie Strong has, and say that if you hit a woman, you can’t play for him but clearly that doesn’t mean much to decision makers, right? Strong lost his job because he didn’t win enough games, character be damned, and you’re coasting into a New Year’s Six game. Cheers!

I’m not naïve enough to think this issue of violence against women (and sexual assault) is going to be fixed overnight, that suddenly every college football coach is America is going to wake up and value human beings over bowl bonuses. But I wish they would just admit that. Had you stood before the media three years ago and explained that yes, Mixon made a mistake, but that you believed he could help your football team—and you, in turn, could possibly help him grow up and change—I would have still been angry but I would've had at least a shred of respect for you being honest. As a country, we’re keen on second chances, and we love a good comeback story. Instead you guys shielded Mixon from the media, blamed his lawyers for his silence (a pathetic game of pass the buck) and hoped this would come out after he was off to the pros. Looks like you need a new game plan.

As I watched the video, I also thought about Brenda Tracy. A passionate advocate for survivors and sexual assault prevention and a woman whose strength inspires me every day, Tracy has built a public relationship with Oklahoma football because you, Bob Stoops, have said you want help her create change. What do you think she felt when she saw that video? She has publicly defended you and your program, said that she sees good in you—is she wrong? Do you really believe in Tracy’s message, or was it just a good political play to align yourself with her? I’m not sure I want to know the answer.

A year ago, I wondered what your reaction would have been if Mixon’s victim had been your daughter, Mackenzie, and not Molitor. I heard you were furious that I “made it personal.” Never mind the fact that Mixon’s punch was personal to Molitor and her family; I wrote about Mackenzie in hopes of provoking an emotional response because this should be personal.

After watching the video, I’m worried an honest answer from you would go something like this: “So long as he runs a good 40 time, I don’t care what he does off the field, or who he does it to.”

Hope he was worth it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
She shouldn't have been hanging with a buck. Hood rat goona be a hood rat.

But, she didn't deserve that either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did the chick have to go thru the normal NCAA concussion protocol?

Black Cows Matter!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Foolishness.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a hunch Miss Trailer Trash won't do that no more.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I think she has dibs on Mixon's NFL signing bonus.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner

By your standards,a woman shouldn't stand up for her friend who was verbally assaulted by Mixon,the negro thug.The thug then slugs this woman and breaks her jaw,cheekbone and other facial bones.

What would you have done,run away?

I think you need to go on a diet.LOL

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

So a woman who defended her friend from the verbal assault of the negro thug Mixon,is now trailer trash.

You have a warped sense of fair play.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
She shouldn't have been hanging with a buck. Hood rat goona be a hood rat.

But, she didn't deserve that either.

She wasn't hanging out with the hood rat.Her and her friend were accosted by the football thugs.She defended her friend who was verbally assaulted by the negro thug.

You are right,in that no one,much less a woman,deserves that type of treatment.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In the video I see one person push and swing at another, then the other person swings and connects...what am I missing?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.